Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: African Clawed Frog Won't Eat & Shakes

Default Re: African Clawed Frog Won't Eat & Shakes

If he wonīt eat in the next few days, I would look for a vet with experience in amphibian treatment. ACF can go without food for a long time and adults shouldnīt be fed daily, but not eating is a very unusual behaviour for a healthy frog.
    Amphibians kept:
    9.10.3 Hymenochirus boettgeri
    2.4.0 Xenopus laevis
    0.1.0 Hypselotriton orientalis
    3.0.0 Hyloxalus azureiventris
    4.1.0 Pipa parva
    2.1.2 Bombina orientalis
    1.0.0 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    2.2.0 Bombina orientalis

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

amandaglad

Well, sadly I don't think he will make it past today. He doesn't move much anymore and he was having trouble swimming around today. He is shedding more and more. If he is still alive once I am home, I will change the water in his tank and get rid of the skin but here are some pictures that I took this morning of him.... He's not doing good anymore. This is seriously breaking my heart.
    Name:  photo_1.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  45.5 KBName:  photo_2.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  84.6 KBName:  photo_3.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  68.3 KB
    PS. Sorry that the pictures are horrible, I took them with my phone before I had to leave for school & work.

Iīm very sorry to read this Donīt you have the possibility to take him to a vet?
    Frequent shedding could hint at a chytrid infection; ACFs, however, are very resistent towards this disease... Without a proper diagnostic, itīs probably impossible to tell what your frog is suffering from... I have to ask again: are the water readings ok?
    Amphibians kept:
    9.10.3 Hymenochirus boettgeri
    2.4.0 Xenopus laevis
    0.1.0 Hypselotriton orientalis
    3.0.0 Hyloxalus azureiventris
    4.1.0 Pipa parva
    2.1.2 Bombina orientalis
    1.0.0 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    2.2.0 Bombina orientalis

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default African Clawed Frog Won't Eat & Shakes

Hi amandaglad,

I'm so sorry to hear your frog is not doing well. I have never had ACF's. the only semi-aquatic frog I have is an American bullfrog. Quite different.

In learning much about water frogs, it's always good to get your water retested if any doubt. Have you added any new items to the tank? Any possible contaminates?

The tremors may be due to lack of calcium in the diet. It is good to rotate foods in water frogs so they have balanced nutrition. Most frog pellets provide adequately nutrients. If you can find a Repashy aquatic frog food it will be properly balanced.

I don't think your frog has Chytrid. He is no displaying the other symptoms of the disease.

I would recommend a calcium replacement.

If he pulls through the night, a vet visit may help. They could give him a proper weight-dosed injection of calcium gluconate. It works quickly.

Flukers makes a liquid calcium supplement also that can be used as a soak.

Powdered calcium supplement, even when wet, is not soluble or absorbent. It has to be ingested and must also have vitamin D3 to be properly absorbed.

I'd recommend a vet visit first thing if you can afford the visit. If not, try the calcium soak next.

I hope he pulls through the night.

If he looks to be suffering, you may want to consider euthanizing him. It is a humane way of ending any possible discomfort. The gentlest way to do this is to gently apply baby Oragel to his belly.

I will check back tomorrow. Hugs!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default African Clawed Frog Won't Eat & Shakes

Also, if you think there is any possible risk of ammonia toxicity or chemical toxication, the 1/4 dose Methylene blue treatment may help. Do not do both treatments at the same time. Use it as a 15 minute soak only. Only submerge to his neck, no deeper.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

amandaglad

Hello all!

I want to personally thank you all for helping me out, but sadly my little bud did not make it yesterday. He passed away yesterday afternoon. It breaks my heart, but I'm hoping he didn't suffer before he passed. He did not look good yesterday morning, but at least I got to see him swim around one last time!

I appreciate everyone's help!

Thank you! <3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information