Thread: Thinking of getting a white tree frog

Alexag

Default Thinking of getting a white tree frog

Hi. We are thinking of getting a white tree frog for a pet and I just had a couple of questions to see whether it would be a good fit for us. I live in Canada, and summer is pretty short, but we bought a travel trailer this year and will likely be going away a lot of weekends to campgrounds. The guy at the pet store told me you need to switch lights twice a day and he also mists his frogs (he owns some) at the same time. So does that mean you can't leave them for two days without someone coming in to do that? He did mention you could get a reptile fogger, but they are expensive. The tank he recommended seems a little big to take with us. What do most of you do when you go away? My second question is about sickness. Are you able to take care of most health concerns that come up on your own? Or do you take your frog to the vet? I don't know if we have a frog vet in the area. What kind of health care costs am I likely to be looking at? Thanks for the help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Gibson

Default Re: Thinking of getting a white tree frog

White's tree frogs need a heat source, if you choose a lamp (which most do) you will need to turn it off at night. You can also use red heat bulbs which can be kept on day and night, but you need to make sure the temperature doesn't get too hot at night or too cold during the day. I mist mine twice daily to keep their humidity up. You need a 20 gallon tank to house 1 white's tree frog, how big is the tank the guy at the pet store is recommending? The best way to combat health issues is to prevent them from starting. If your frog does get sick, a trip to the vet is likely. There aren't many herp vets around where I live, and I assume the same for other places. But the cost is often many times the cost of the animal it's self, one of my leopard gecko's got sick and I remember paying hundreds of dollars to get him well. Luckily he still lives to this day, but some times the animal may die anyway.

Thread Information