Thread: Whats up with the new scientific names?

Default Whats up with the new scientific names?

I keep seeing new scientific names for toads. I mean its cool, but it looks to be a pain. What happened to the old simple scientific names like, Bufo marinus or bufo bufo? xD Now I have to remember a new book of scientific names! D; or go google them. xD But who knows how many branches there are now!

Kinda making more work for keepers. xD

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Whats up with the new scientific names?

I was bored so I changed them all.

Seriously, the changes were done mostly by Darrel Frost of the AMNH in NYC. BTW, Bufo bufo is still Bufo bufo. The Genus Bufo however has been broken up quite a bit and the handful of toads still in are in the old world like B. bufo and B. japonica.

Here is the man responsible for it all.
    YouTube - Return of the Reptiles at the American Museum of Natural History[/URL]
    Last edited by Kurt; May 26th, 2010 at 05:19 PM.

I wish I was that man! D: some people told me I have no chance at ever becomming a herpetologist. ;----; It was what I wanted to be. D: Now I have to settle to being an animal controll officer(aspca officer). D; only good thing about that is I'd rescue animals and beat people with a stick. Dx Not as good as being a top notch herpetologist! D: Arent you one yourself kurt? Lucky suns of guns. :U But anywho yeah I guess so. I want to be the first man to prove that you can keep any animal together as long as you make the conditions right! xD Like say uhh keep a colony of treefrogs with uhmmm say a pair of crested geckos and uhh some other type of small lizard? You know what I am saying? Like build a LEGIT ecosystem that is man made. But you know what would be something impossible that I would like to do? I wanna study evolution, and make a mix of animals. Like a frog with a turtle shell and a lizard tail. xD Okay I know this is crazy talk. But still it would be nice to induce evolution of some sort. :U and for any critics that decide to bash on me for saying it. >:U Be nice and be quiet! xD

Kurt

Nothing wrong with being an ASPCA officer.

Hey let's not play mad scientist ok? I don't need a frog with two butts. (Fans of Southpark will get that one.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Nothing wrong with being an ASPCA officer.

Hey let's not play mad scientist ok? I don't need a frog with two butts. (Fans of Southpark will get that one.)
    I watched every south park episode there is. XD yeah but the problem about being an aspca officer is you have to go first as if you were heading into a police officer. :U And I kinda have a short temper if someone mistreats an animal. xD Which may impair my judgement(can be a tad violent if I see someone hurting an animal). One time I saw this kid stepping on a toad in school infront of me cause he knew they were my favorite animal, besides the turtle. I got so angry I kneed him. :U The poor toad died. ;-----; It was the ones from science class. His name was gordy. Gordy the toad. Friendliest toad ever. :[

Thread Information