Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frogs sleeping on ground

bellk

Default Frogs sleeping on ground

I just read that tree frogs sleeping on the ground is abnormal. I have had two dumpies for a little under a week now. They often sleep on the ground and do not do a lot of high climbing. They have been eating normally and I gave them 2 crickets each today dusted in panacure. The vets around here know very little about frogs- any advice or words of wisdom?

Paul Rust

Default Re: Frogs sleeping on ground

Give them the Panacur for a total of 3 feedings, no more. If they are new frogs they will need some time to adjust to the new home. As long as they are eating and look good they are probably fine. Let them settle in a bit. I am glad to see you treating for parasites with new frogs, good idea.

bellk

I hope you are right!

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hey Kam. Are you able to post a photo of their enclosure?

bellk

Sure Ebony. Give me a second.

bellk

Here it is. The last picture is of Arnie and friend. They are on there bridge but I put them there after their dinner. Friend usually hangs out in the back on the floor behind the waterfountain when he sleeps. Any tips on the setup or otherwise is always welcomed.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Tropicok

After Kurt posted about Dumpys on the ground I packed my frog and went to my local reptile store expert to have him looked at. He said the frogs will go where the temp is to their liking. Also the frog had been looking a little lethargic and boy howdy!!!! did the trip perk him up. He seems to like the 15 watt light bulb on and will clamp onto the glass underneath. The room is at a comfortable temp but guess frog likes the light better.

bellk

Ha- thanks Paul, you were the one that gave me that advice i think lol. i consider you, ebony, and kurt the authority on frogs! any advice on my setup?

Paul Rust

It looks really good Kam. I would suggest criss-crossing some large sticks in the middle from bottom to top for them to climb on. Other than that, great job! What is that in the bottom for a substrate, is it easy to clean or replace?

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Wow! very cool home for your wee Darlings. Their colourings are beautiful by the way.

I would do what Paul suggests as they need something sturdy to be able get up onto the back wall. My frogs love to sit up on the back wall as high as possible.

bellk

THANKS EBONY! u r the first to comment on the colors. i'm gonna go to the petstore tommorrow and re-fashion their home on another note, i named arnie after my favorite character from the movie "what's eating gilbert grape." after thinking about it, i remembered that in one of the first scenes, arnie accidently kills an insect (can't remember what kind) and he cries about it and says it was his friend! ha- ironic, huh! MY arnie does not feel bad when he kills insects..it makes him verrryyyyy happy!

bellk

oh and the substrate is papertowels misted with treated water...how often should i change it?

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Hmm, Ive not seen that movie "what's eating gilbert grape" but yea that is ironic Lol. We are always the last to get the movies here I suspect. I just went to Avatar 3D on Sunday and you guys have probably been there done that. Great movie though. Hope it makes people think.

Anyway..In regards to your enclosure, I thought since you are going shopping that i would mention those magnetised ledges are great. I just got one for one of my enclosures and im going to get more. You can get ones with a bowl in too. You will still need away for the frogs to get to it though. I dont use paper towels personally but i would think you should change them when they are soiled or about every couple of days. Another member may be able to help you that uses them.

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by Ebony View Post
    Hmm, Ive not seen that movie "what's eating gilbert grape" but yea that is ironic Lol. We are always the last to get the movies here I suspect. I just went to Avatar 3D on Sunday and you guys have probably been there done that. Great movie though. Hope it makes people think.

Anyway..In regards to your enclosure, I thought since you are going shopping that those magnetised ledges are great. I just got one for one of my enclosures and im going to get more. You can get ones with a bowl in too. You will still need away for the frogs to get to it though. I dont use paper towels personally but i would think you should change them when they are soiled or about every couple of days. Another member may be able to help you that uses them.
    Yup, what she said.

Kurt

Hmm, Ive not seen that movie "what's eating gilbert grape" but yea that is ironic Lol. We are always the last to get the movies here I suspect. I just went to Avatar 3D on Sunday and you guys have probably been there done that.
    Yeah, about ten years ago when it came out. Boy, you guys really are behind.

Great movie though. Hope it makes people thin
    It made me think I want a blue girlfriend.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by bellk View Post
    oh and the substrate is papertowels misted with treated water...how often should i change it?

In the long run paper towels are not the best choice for a substrate. They are good for when you first get a frog, they allow to check for fecal samples and monitor the frog's health. On the down side the dirty easily and begin to culture bacteria.

The substrate I would reccomend is ground coconut shell, covered in leaf litter. Live oak leaves from Josh's frogs works perfectly for this. With cocnut shell you could add live plants to the mix, but there should be a drainage layer for that. You can do this with a false bottom or just LECA covered over by mesh to prevent the coconut from sliding down into the LECA.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

Yea...I know. But how behind are we?

Lol, The scary thing is though Kurt, I actually believe that's true. Ha Ha

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

I'm not sure but I think you can order those in blue.

Kurt

Hahahaha

bellk

hey guys! here are the babies, arnie and tony
    tony still likes to hang out behind the fountain a lot. they each ate 4 crickets dusted with panacure and 1 meal worm. how do they look? ( tony is the darker of the two) any advice or insight is welcome!
    kam
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information