Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wild Moss safe?

Andry

Default Wild Moss safe?

My dad saw my vivarium for my frogs and suggested bringing me some rocks from his ranch (a couple hours north of me) that already have moss growing on them. Would this be safe for my frogs? And what would I need to do to keep it alive?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Paul Rust

Default Re: Wild Moss safe?

I use wild moss in all my setups. It needs to be kept damp and in full view of the lights. It hates fertilizer so if you feed your plants don't get it on the moss. Be sure it is a variety sturdy enough to handle trampling by little froggy feet.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I use Moss in all my enclosures. Its straight from the forest floors and I know there's been not chemicals in contact with it. Its great stuff. Nice and soft for your Frogs. I think If your Moss is doing well and is green and growing, Then I find generally your enclosure is doing well and is a healthy environment for your frogs.

Nationality
    [United States]

If you do use wild moss,like I do, be prepared to get a nice springtail culture in your enclosure! Also do not be surprised if you get a few other riders, like wood lice, slugs, and per haps other bugs. Examine your moss closely for millipedes and centipedes as they can be a real pain, and, in some instances, harmful to your pets.
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

6. This member thanks SludgeMunkey for this post:

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by SludgeMunkey View Post
    If you do use wild moss,like I do, be prepared to get a nice springtail culture in your enclosure! Also do not be surprised if you get a few other riders, like wood lice, slugs, and per haps other bugs. Examine your moss closely for millipedes and centipedes as they can be a real pain, and, in some instances, harmful to your pets.
    Thank you Johnny, I was little quick on that one. I usually shake my new moss on a grate to get all the little nasties out of it. I do enjoy watching the crazy plants grow that sprout under the warm lighted conditions. Oh and I try to get whatever the moss is growing on with it, tree bark, rock, whatever it is attached to.

Tropicok

I have a rock with moss and lichen growing on it I picked up on a herp field trip. It's in with my D. auratus and he loves sitting on it looking for crickets. The rock seems to thrive on the misting and the light. Another piece of ???? moss had several other little plants that sprouted from it so it was a nice surprise for me.

Quote Originally Posted by NW Amphibian Rescue View Post
    Thank you Johnny, I was little quick on that one. I usually shake my new moss on a grate to get all the little nasties out of it. I do enjoy watching the crazy plants grow that sprout under the warm lighted conditions. Oh and I try to get whatever the moss is growing on with it, tree bark, rock, whatever it is attached to.

That thing happened to mine too. But my moss died cause I over watered it. x___x so I gave up trying to find moss. But anywho, what are those little sprouts that come out of the moss? Do they get bigger? Sprout flowers? Ived been dying to know for years. But I keep forgetting to ask. XD

Paul Rust

I was talking about ferns, clovers, etc. I think what you are referring to are the small sprouts that pop up when you first water the moss in the vivarium. These are sporophytes. These are the structures that contain the capsules where spores are produced. The moss is reproducing.

Jace

If I was, say, to go to a nursery to buy moss, what would be the best to get started with my frogs and toads? I come across Irish moss all the time, but I have, at best, a muddy green thumb....

Paul Rust

Moss is very difficult to identify in the wild. I just know where the kinds I have had success with grow. With your muddy thumb lol, try some sphagnum moss from the pet store. It sometimes starts to grow but seems to last really well.

Jace

Okay....what about trying to grow grass (sans fertilizer mixed in)? I am trying for the most natural set up possible....and I have a great pair of scissors to help me "mow"...

Paul Rust

You are funny Jo-Anna, I thought about doing the same thing lol. I was thinking a short variety that was hearty for most of the floor and a few places like in the back corners of a tall variety and then landscape around that.

Jace

Thank you! I just might have to give it a try then....I have a spare tank and having it empty is bugging me, so maybe I will experiment before I try and put anything into it. Yoki might have his own landscaped lawn yet!!

Paul Rust

How is Yoki doing? Are you going to get another one?

Jace

Yoki is doing pretty good-I hope. He calls all the time, so I take that as a good sign. I have been to every single pet store trying to find another one, but no luck. They bring them in as just "tree frogs" so the one place I always buy from brought some in, but they turned out to be green tree frogs. I am rather desperate trying to find another one at this moment.

Socrates

Well when I go up to my families house up in Wisconsin I'm grabbing some rocks w/ lichen and/or moss or both (woot!). It's out in the country w/ no pesticides/herbicides or any other nasty chemicals.

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    Well when I go up to my families house up in Wisconsin I'm grabbing some rocks w/ lichen and/or moss or both (woot!). It's out in the country w/ no pesticides/herbicides or any other nasty chemicals.
    That's what I do, it's all natural and looks great. The only thing you need to be careful of is certain kinds of wood. Johnny (sludgemunkey) wrote a great article on this subject.
    http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/wood.shtml

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Here is a photo of some of the Moss's that I put in my enclosures. They really do beautify your enclosure.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by NW Amphibian Rescue View Post
    That's what I do, it's all natural and looks great. The only thing you need to be careful of is certain kinds of wood. Johnny (sludgemunkey) wrote a great article on this subject.
    http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/wood.shtml
    Ya I have read that article before (I'm a member on Caudata.org as well). It is an excellent reference for all of ones wood needs haha.

Andry

Thank you Paul for the article! Great info. and Ebony, thanks for the pics!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information