Thread: Geting started with green tree frog

Amazonmilkfrog

Default Geting started with green tree frog

Hi everyone!
    I wanted to know about green tree frogs. Is it hard to have them? What they eat? Can they live with other animals like hermit crabs or geckos? Thanks !

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi Amazonmilkfrog,

Green tree frogs are so cute! They should only be housed with other green tree frogs.

~ For American Green Tree Frogs also known as Hyla cinerea:

https://www.google.com/search?q=amer...20&bih=444

They will want a home with nice smooth/safe tall plants and branches to climb.

Tank size should be 10 gallons of tank per frog. They should have at least an 18" tall tank. Some tanks can be flipped vertical to accommodate this height.

Temps: you'll need a thermometer
    Daytime: 75-78'F
    Nighttime: 70-76'F

Humidity: 60-80%
    You'll need a hygrometer.

Water:
    Dechlorinated tap water or dechlorinated spring water. May mist the tank with distilled water. Do not use distilled water to moisten substrate or for water soaking bowl. You'll need a shallow water bowl for your frog to enjoy soaking in. Rinse bowl daily and add new water.

Plants, wood and tank decorations need to be properly rinsed and if using wood or live plants there is a proper way to rid them of all pests and parasites.

Substrates:
    Quarantine: paper towel changed every one to two days.
    For permanent tank: you can use coconut fiber (not husk) over a false bottom for proper water drainage. The substrate should be moist, but not muddy. I like to change all wet substrates monthly for tree frogs. You can also use plain, unfertlized plantation soil.

Tree frogs like to climb and have difficulty climbing with particles stuck to their feet. I've found that they seem to like leaf litter over their substrate.

Do NOT use gravel, small rocks, loose moss or anything small enough to fit into their mouths. These items can accidentally be ingested while hunting their food (insects) and can cause intestinal impaction, which is often fatal.

Food:
    Tree frogs can eat crickets, infant dubia roaches, very small cut worn pieces, and babies can eat fruit flies. Avoid mealworms. The chitin in their segments can cause impaction. Food should be no larger than the distance between their eyes. Green tree frogs are nocturnal and eat at night. You'll want to feed them just before bed time with the lights out.

Supplements:
    All captive frogs need supplements to stay healthy.

Calcium with vitamin D 3:
    This needs to be lightly dusted on food items every other day just before feeding time. Calcium without vitamin D3 does not absorb properly, so be sure to pick one with vita D3.

Multivitamin:
    There are many brands of amphibian/reptile MVI's. My personal favorite is Repashy with calcium plus. Lightly dust the feeder insects one day a week with the MVI, but not on the same day as the calcium/D3.

In the am after the frogs have gone to sleep, remove any uneaten insects so you may feed (gut-load) them.

A nice method of feeding for tree frogs is the glass bowl method. You can count the number of insects you add and they're easy to remove in the am. Rinse bowl daily with very hot water and dry.

Lighting:
    No particular type of lighting us required. If you have live plants, however, you will need full spectrum lighting of about 6400k to keep your plants alive.

Tree frogs do need a day night schedule of about 12 hours daylight and 12 hours night darkness. Turn lights off at bedtime to maintain their schedule or use an automatic timer switch.

Heating:
    This has often been a topic of debate. There are different ways to heat vivariums/terrariums. A UTH heat pad can be placed on an outside wall of your tank. Depending on the size of the heat pad, you can raise the tank a few degrees this way. An over head dome lamp also works. Be sure to get one with a built in dimmer switch so you can adjust the heat. If using a red bulb, use a 50 watt or less to avoid burns. This will dry out the tank, so be prepared to spray the tank more often. Frogs can dehydrate easily. Ceramic heat bulbs work nicely. They are black flat-like bulbs. They too get hot. Do not place directly on glass, they need to be slightly elevated. Tip: do not spray heated glass with cooler must water or it will crack the glass.

Minimizing stress:

First, it's best to quarantine your frogs for at least 30 days, though 60 days is preferable. This is so you can monitor their health, eating habits, stool, etc. This allows you to quickly catch any problems and allow for treatment.

Keep your frogs in a nice calm, quiet area of your home. They can be frightened by loud noises and other pets.

Add a background of choice to the back and two sidewalks of your tank. This helps them to feel safe and secure.

Stressed frogs will eventually lead to sick frogs. Keep handling of your frogs to a minimum. Until they learn that we are the nice feeder people , they will be frightened of you. Also, wash your hands thoroughly and rinse well before handling them or their tank decor and equipment. We can give them bacteria they are not used to. I prefer to use gloves. Only use non-powdered gloves.

We can teach you how to set up a quarantine tank, if you need some help.

Research more about the frog species you've chosen. Keep in mind that not all care sheets are accurate on the Internet. Read lots of posts and find tips as to ease of care.

It's also good to know who you are purchasing from. Ask around, research some reviews, and only buy from reputable breeders. Know their return policies. And be aware that some seasons such as very cold winters and very hot summers are not the best times to have animals shipped.

I think that covers most of their care. I'll read through my post again to see if I've forgotten anything.

Please let us know if you decide to get them . We'd love to see photos.
    Last edited by Heatheranne; March 20th, 2014 at 11:29 PM.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Geting started with green tree frog

When you say "green tree frog" can you be more specific? There are several kinds of tree frogs that are green.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazonmilkfrog View Post
    Hi everyone!
    I wanted to know about green tree frogs. Is it hard to have them? What they eat? Can they live with other animals like hermit crabs or geckos? Thanks !
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Nationality
    [United States]

Ah yes, Gail, I had thought American green tree frog. There is also an Australian green tree frog. I will label my care sheet accordingly.

Label added and google image page linked for clarification.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

And here is a care sheet for Australian Green Tree Frogs also known as Litoria caerulea.

http://www.frogforum.net/content/whi...-caerulea-121/

And an image google link...
    https://www.google.com/search?client...48.HpcUGmi7xxs

Amazonmilkfrog

Thanks all ! Sorry I didn't writes so soon. But yeah... All tree and poison dart frogs and toads are adorable I just can't decide which one to have !+ i was asking about American tree frog

Nationality
    [United States]

Just take into consideration when you'll be able to enjoy them. If you are not awake during the evening hours you might want to find frogs/toads that are diurnal instead of nocturnal.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Nationality
    [United States]

I have one male AGTF, and despite the fact that they're almost labeled as "general" frogs, they are beautiful IMO. They tend to be hardier than other frogs, which is what makes them a good beginner frog, but giving them an ideal environment is still crucial. I love their generally small adult size, and their calling is awesome, I can hear it throughout the whole house
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Amazonmilkfrog

Cool

Thread Information