Thread: brown whites tree, should I be worried?

Gracie girl

Default brown whites tree, should I be worried?

We have newly jumped into the amphibious world of pets and having no prior experience am constantly worried that something is wrong! we bought our white two weeks ago and she was green, by the time we got her home she had turned brown, not too worried there as we figured she was cold stressed etc. its been two weeks though and she is still brown. the only time she turns even slightly green (mostly on the legs) is when we are holding her (only twice now while we clean out the tank) Tank is 70 at the coldest point and usually 72-74 during the day and usually between 40-60 humidity (I try to keep the humidity between 50-60 with a spray bottle but sometimes it drops) the ground is the same set up as the pet store gravel, covered with mesh, layer of terrarium dirt layer of terrarium moss Wooden branch, plastic plants and a water bowl, under tank heater, UV light. She has eaten and continues to eat crickets (2-4) every couple days and hangs out on the branch at night, and occasionally (from the slimy streaks on the glass) on the glass. She also seems to have pink legs but I dont know if this is what you would call red leg or just normal coloring (google photos dont help as they seem to pull up healthy and non healthy photos) Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Gibson

Default Re: brown whites tree, should I be worried?

4. This member thanks Gibson for this post:

schwabem

I've had whites for 3 years now but I still come around looking for answers for all sorts of things, so take this with however much salt you think is needed.

The tank may be a smidge too cold? We currently have a large female (Peek) who pretty much stays bright green and a smaller undetermined fellow (Little Muffin) who is sometimes green and other times brown. I've notice that Little Muffin tends to be brown at night or first thing in the morning when the tank is cooler. I've figured that the color change is them trying to absorb more heat. Yours also may still be stressed a bit, it takes a while for them to settle in. Peek, who is a VERY bright green, was quite brownish off and on for a few months after arriving at our house.

Gibson

I have 3 White's, one always stays brown and the others always stay green. Weird.

Gracie girl

Thanks, the background of the tank is brown so maybe she is blending in with her surroundings.

Gracie girl

do you have a heat lamp? I have been confused as to what kind of lamp would be needed, most of them seem to keep it too warm. I have a UV light and she always tends to stay up close to the light, but i am afraid of burning her if I put another light up there, there isnt very much room for another light (leaving room for me to mist through the top)

Gibson

I use a 75(or 50, i forgot) watt heat lamp, UV lighting isn't needed for White's tree frogs, although many people seem to use them.

Thread Information