Thread: Tupperware Pond

Manely024

Default Tupperware Pond

Hello, all. My name is Ryan and I am a proud owner of 2 fire belly toads. I have had them for about 4 years, but I want to switch it up from the set up I have had for this entire time. I was thinking about partially burying a larger tupper ware container to use as a pond, but I have a few questions:
    1. Is it safe?
    2. How do I keep substrate (in this case coconut fiber) from getting into it? Are there any alternatives that are just as easy to clean that wont track in as much? If It is unavoidable, whats the best way to clean it?
    3. Will a filter be needed in a container 10x10x2? will a tetra whisper 3i work well?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

PandaLove21

Default Re: Tupperware Pond

if you use a big tupperware container it would be like a big water dish. You would have a change the water daily or every other day (no need for a filter/pump). Have you tried using an aquarium and having half water half land? or all water with islands? I think it would be much less maintenance

Manely024

Quote Originally Posted by PandaLove21 View Post
    if you use a big tupperware container it would be like a big water dish. You would have a change the water daily or every other day (no need for a filter/pump). Have you tried using an aquarium and having half water half land? or all water with islands? I think it would be much less maintenance
    Really? I always figured it would be more of a hassle. I have no idea what i am doing when it would come to building a set up like that. is it very hard?

PandaLove21

Its really not hard at all. My current set up is a 10g aquarium with a pump (not a filter) to keep the water circulating. I have lots of leaves for them to climb on (pothos) and large river rocks for them to climb on. My water is 2-3 inches deep and I do a partial water change once a week and a total cleaning monthly. I also have a mystery snail to help with algae.

Your set up kinda depends on what your specific toads like. Mine prefer shallow water, some like deep, some like almost none (a bowl). I used to have partial water partial land but my toads just dug up 'the beach' and turned it all into water anyway. I made the land portion out of piled aquarium rocks and covered it with a inch of moss. So really its up to you. Whatever makes your specific toads happy

Manely024

well, I figured that since the tupperware i was planning on using is about half the size of my terrarium anyways, and about 3 1/2 inches deep. I figured it would make cleaning the water part much easier, separating completely the water and land. For reference, i have a terrarium 20x10 and the tupperware is 10x10

Nationality
    [United States]
    High Point, North Carolina, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

My setup is aquarium with whisper filter and a Tupperware island. Deep water (3-4" depending on evaporation) where one can dive off stuff and swim. Access to the top of my 10i so some can sit in that flowing water. A waterfall of feeder bowls so they can soak at their leisure. A couple of love dens. I have 6 very happy frogs.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  136.2 KB

Thread Information