Thread: Help with sick Reed Frog

welfarebears

Question Help with sick Reed Frog

Hi there,

Sorry to come here with only emergencies - but I have a Reed Frog (which, I think, is Hyperolius mitchelli) who is just over two years old. Over the past week or so he has been exhibiting symptoms of lethargy, an aversion to eating, and generally not being his usual active self. His skin has taken on a darker shade, and his limbs have thinned. Something, as well, I had noticed (it seemed to depend on the light), but the skin on his back wasn't as smooth as it had been.

He has been living in a tall ten gallon tank on his own. It is spot-cleaned daily, with regular water changes and enclosure wipe-downs. He is fed small-medium dusted crickets that have been fed kale/carrots. He has been plump, bright orange, and rather happy for most of the time I have had him.

In the past two days, he has shown an aversion, or perhaps an inability to climbing, staying on the ground (which he only does to hunt). This morning I removed him from his previous enclosure into a smaller, clean, simple environment that includes some leaves to sit on, fresh water, and a light source for warmth.

I am wondering if anyone has had this problem, or has an inkling of what this could be? Hyperoilus doesn't seem a too-common frog to keep, so any disorder/disease specific source has eluded me.

I would very much appreciate any knowledge you could share to help us through this, thank you -

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Help with sick Reed Frog

He is definitely showing signs that something is bothering him. Lets figure out what it is?

First, do you have a nice clear photo of him?

Does he have any skin lesions or wounds?

Do you use calcium with vitamin D3 supplement? Do you use multivitamin supplement?

Temp in tank?

Humidity in tank?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

welfarebears

Default Re: Help with sick Reed Frog

Hi there Heather,
    Name:  IMG_1318.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  48.2 KBName:  IMG_1319.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  58.5 KB
    He has no visible skin lesions or wounds. But getting him out of his old tank has been rather enlightening to something that looks like some sort of bowel distress. On the right side of the belly, there is a dark spot.

I use a multivitamnin with the crickets (Exo Terra Multivitamin Powder Supplement) - the temperature in the tank is around 80 during the day, and 70-75 overnight. I don't own a humidity gauge, unfortunately, but maintain a medium-high humidity with regular mistings. The substrate I used was a potting soil, there are two or three viny, tropical plants and some star-moss. He had a shallow, 5-inch diameter saucer with shallow, clean, dechlorinated water that was changed every two days.

I gave him a little warm water bath this afternoon in some dechlorinated, luke warm water to see if it helped any. He was a little more active for a short period of time, but he is back to being rather lethargic.

Thank you - any expertise would be greatly appreciated!

Nationality
    [United States]

Can you get a hygrometer to measure humidity?

What does his poop look like?

Get some clear, unflavored, plain Pedialyte. Mix it in a 1:10 ratio of pedialyte to dechlorinated water, spring water, or distilled water. You can either soak him in it for 15 minutes or do slow gentle drops of it on his back. This is just to give him some electrolytes.

A good thing to do is have a poop sample send for testing. Ova, parasites, culture.

Are you using calcium with vitamin D3 also? If not, you need to. It should be lightly dusted on his crickets every other day, except on vita day. Symptoms of low calcium levels: numbness, tingling, twitching, tremors, uncoordinated movements, lack of movements, seizures, paralysis, lethargy, also lack of muscle functions such as smooth muscle organs - intestinal peristalsis and constipation, and cardiac muscle functions if severe. Vitamin D3 is required in the supplement for proper absorption of the calcium. Lack of calcium leads to these problems and can cause Metabolic Bone Disease. Good supplements are Repcal calcium with vitamin D3. Flickers sells a liquid supplement, I think Repaahy does also. I like powdered supplements for routine care. I have the liquid on hand for emergencies. You can do a dilute soak with the liquid.

I'm not sure if its just a nutritional deficiency or if he may have a parasite? Or other?

Panacur is a good parasite treatment. It's dosed by a vet per weight/size of the frog.

Perhaps you could send a stool sample for testing to a vet, in case it's a parasite?

Are you in the states?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

I see you're in Canada. Is there a herp vet near you?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Help with sick Reed Frog

Since you did not mention using CA/D3 (only ExoTerra multivitamins) that could be the issue on hand. Here are schedules to help you out with that and do not use both CA/D3 and vitamin supplements on the same day: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html. Metabolic Bone Disease (MDB) symptoms include neurological issues on top of fragile/deformed bones .

Do follow Heather's advice on the Pedialyte bath. You can use any similar local unflavored baby electrolyte product at the same ratio. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information