Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this? Help. :(

LiarDelilah

Default What is this? Help. :(

So, I see my White's Tree Frog scooting along, using its back feet to try and push/flick this out. I don't know if hes ingested the paper towel at the bottom or he has some sort of a prolapse going on, but I'm kind of freaking out. He looks like hes going crazy trying to get it out (I would be, too), and I'm really tempted to pull it for him, but if its an organ..I would feel awful. No idea what to do, and really hoping this passes. Between this frog and my other frog, I'm having some really bad beginner's luck.

Name:  IMG_5343.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  72.8 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ratz

Default Re: What is this? Help. :(

Hi,

to me it looks rather like paper towel than a prolapse. But I think it's better to wait for the experts opinion bevore pulling it. Also, the frog came quite far on its own - you could wait for some hours and see if he makes progress in getting rid of it...
    A bath could support him, as suggested e.g. for impactions (http://www.frogforum.net/pacman-frog...t-pooping.html)

Apart from that he looks like a healthy frog, hope he will be fine.

good luck!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Touch it to see if its paper or not. If it is, give a very slow pull and see what happens.

SqUaReJeLLy

It also looks like a piece of paper towel to me too but I wouldn't pull on it. I would just soak the frog and hope the paper will start to fall apart and the frog will be able to pass it on it's own. Pulling on it could cause it to rip the skin or worse yet if it's wrapped on something inside it could really cause some serious damage. If it is a piece of paper towel it looks pretty big. How do you have the towel on the bottom that would allow the frog to eat that much of it? Maybe flatten it out some so the frog isn't able to grab at it so easily.

Tongue Flicker

Probably some undigested matter that it decided to pass out

Nationality
    [United States]

Recommend stop feeding this frog until it passes object. To help frog; prepare a solution using 80F dechlorinated tap water with honey. Place frog in a small critter keeper (or small plastic bowl with holed up top) and add water to it's chin level. Then add couple drops of honey, cover container with a towel and let frog be for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes you can decant out the solution and add 80F dechlorinated tap for a 20 minute rinse. If it passes object out, you are done. If not, repeat process daily until it does. Let us know if there any changes to frog condition, specially any swelling or color changes in vent area. Good luck .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

LiarDelilah

Its come out sooo far of him, now, he looks exhausted. Now there's this piece of something attached to it, shaped like poop but a little more red. I will soak him.. I honestly thought I'd find him dead today. Pulled him out to do what you said and it rrrreeeeally doesnt look right to me. Its very red and his insides feel a bit soft. I'm really worried these are his innards. I feel like handling him is just stressing him out more...Hes been trying to get this out all night..

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  55.8 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

That is a prolapsed intestine and needs a herp veterinary ( http://herpvetconnection.com/ or http://www.arav.com/) to get intestines back inside frog and also antibiotics to prevent an infection. Once frog gets better, do not feed any insects bigger than distance between frog's eyes.

LiarDelilah

Update on Prince, I took him to the vet. She said that the long string coming out was indee paper towel and he had a prolapsed rectum. She was able to work out some paper towel but thinks the rest is bound up. She said it was possible with massaging the rectum and trying to work out the rest that's been strung up in there, he could recover. She offered me two options, euthanasia or hand him over to them, where he will get treatment and be worked on. If it looks to be prolonging his pain, he will ve it handed.

I asked if he was in discomfort, she said it was hard to gauge a frogs pain level, but at the present he seemed fine, so I signed him over. He's theirs, now, but I can continue to call and get updates from them. I warmed them he was a big singer when he feels better. Wishing you well, my little Prince.

Nationality
    [United States]

Good that you took frog to veterinary. Don't quite understand the part about signing him over. So if the frog get's better it's theirs ?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default What is this? Help. :(

I hope he's okay. Carlos is right. If they don't know how to reduce the prolapse, the treatment is sugar or honey to draw the water out and allow it to shrink, hopefully allowing it to naturally retract back in. Also a nice warm honey or sugar soak should help the towel to fall off.

I hope he does okay. He looks pretty healthy otherwise and he's nice and round, so he should be able to withstand not eating for a bit.

If he makes it he should not have solid food for a couple days. After any prolapse internal swelling occurs and can cause an obstruction if he's fed too soon. He can do dilute pedialyte soaks for those few days. We can teach you how when the time comes.

Good luck! I really hope he pulls through.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

LiarDelilah

Basically, I surrendered my rights to owning him and handed him over to the veterinary office. They will be caring for him, and his prolapse, and attempting to remove the paper towel from him by coaxing it out, but if his health declines, they will be euthanizing him. Either way, he's no longer mine.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by LiarDelilah View Post
    Basically, I surrendered my rights to owning him and handed him over to the veterinary office...
    Sorry about that; did not know veterinary offices operated that strange (to me) way .

LiarDelilah

I've heard of it before. Same as if an animal control comes to a house that is a hoarding situation they may give up, or surrender their animals in the hopes of giving them a better chance. I was surprised they offered it, too.

Nationality
    [United States]

“Beginners Luck” should NOT be part of keeping frogs. Lack of research & poor decisions usually are the cause of health issues & death of frogs/toads & all creatures. Knowing that WTF's are aggressive eaters should have been enough to know that paper towel shouldn't be used in their tanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by LiarDelilah View Post
    So, I see my White's Tree Frog scooting along, using its back feet to try and push/flick this out. I don't know if hes ingested the paper towel at the bottom or he has some sort of a prolapse going on, but I'm kind of freaking out. He looks like hes going crazy trying to get it out (I would be, too), and I'm really tempted to pull it for him, but if its an organ..I would feel awful. No idea what to do, and really hoping this passes. Between this frog and my other frog, I'm having some really bad beginner's luck.

Name:  IMG_5343.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  72.8 KB
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

LiarDelilah

Well gee, thanks?

Andrew exotics

Wow gail, she was trying to be safe by using paper towel,it was just a 1 in a thousand chance of this happening.So sorry about your frog Delilah,but even if your frog gets better you won't be able to get it back?What a tough decision

LiarDelilah

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew exotics View Post
    Wow gail, she was trying to be safe by using paper towel,it was just a 1 in a thousand chance of this happening.So sorry about your frog Delilah,but even if your frog gets better you won't be able to get it back?What a tough decision
    I was doing what someone had suggested doing for a quarantine tank, I was told to line it with paper towel. Obviously I wouldn't have done this intentionally. :\. I don't think so, I pretty much signed it over, as they will be taking on the fees of its recovery/care or euthanasia if need be. I asked if he was in pain, obviously they couldnt gauge a frogs pain, and clearly I wouldn't have wanted to prolong it being in pain if that was the right thing. But they said they would be able to continue working at getting it out if I signed him over. So, I did. I figured I'd give him at least some chance in capable hands. They said he was possibly a little septic/sepsis given that his skin was so reddened. I will be calling to check on him tomorrow to get an update, but either way, won't be mine, but I'd still like the closure of knowing.

taniaaust1

Sorry to read of your frog, that's sad.

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry if my comment seems harsh, but time and time again frogs are injured or die needlessly because of lack of knowledge and care. You noted on one thread about one frog being all over the place when when eating. This should have been an indicator of being an aggressive eater. I have one like this and that's why I had to go with core mat for bottom layer in case a feeder got out of the bug bowl and he had to hunt it down. Researching the animal & it's needs is the 1st thing to be done, 2nd is setting up a habitat, finding out what to use and NOT to use, and letting it cycle for a few weeks.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information