Thread: new pacman hasn't ate since past sun

seks

Default new pacman hasn't ate since past sun

We bought a pacman the size of a small burger from a pet store

He hasn't ate since we brought him home on Sunday. We've tried pet-store bought live earthworms and crickets but he doesn't seem to be interested. He just bury himself in Exo-Terra plantation soil in the tank.

Any ideas?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

cjbage

Default Re: new pacman hasn't ate since past sun

Hi there the others that know more will be able to answer but why don't you fill this out while waiting it will give them some idea of what is going on in your tank and will be able to help narrow it down or give suggestions that may help and take a look at the care sheet here : Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding
    lots of great info there

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”
    The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.
    16. How old is the frog
    17. How long have you owned him/her
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    20. How often the frog is handled
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.

seks

1. Size of enclosure
    5 gallon

2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    just the frog itself

3. Humidity
    no clu

4. Temperature
    23-24C

5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    tap

6. Materials used for substrate
    Exo-Terra plantation soil

7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.

none for now

8. Main food source
    tried live crickets and earthworms.

9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    none for now

10. Lighting
    natural light from window

11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    just room temp

12. When is the last time he/she ate
    before we brought him home on past sun

13. Have you found poop lately
    have to check on that

14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    coming soon

15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.
    16. How old is the frog
    17. How long have you owned him/her

18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    captive

19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    20. How often the frog is handled
    couple of times so far

21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    low

22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)p/quote]

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.

cjbage

Let's see here: This is what I can help with others will be able to tell you more, you need to get a temp and humidity gauge it is really really important.

And use a declorinater ( Seachem Prime or Reptisafe etc ) from the aquatics section of the petstore to remove any chlorine or heavy metals in your tap water, very very important for their soaking dish ( water dish helps keep them hydrated ) the water only up to their chin when they sit, no higher or they could drown.

Their substrate needs to be moist, with declorinated water, when you make a fist with it should clump together but not drip.

Handling should be done rarely, as a new frog it stresses them out and if you have to handle, make sure to wash and thoroughly rinse your hands before and after, also make sure your hands are moist with declorinated water when you have to handle em their skin is delicate.

They need some type of hide to make them feel safe, a silk plant or something.

The vit & calcium is important it will keep your frog from getting bone disease. Crickets aren't very nutritious themselves you need to "gutload" them, most on here recommend adding green leafy veggies, shredded carrots and cheerio's along with keeping a water source in the cricket keeper.. they will drown so use something like soaked cotton balls using declorinated water.
    the insects or worms should be no bigger then the space between the frogs eyes, if its a worm it needs to be cut up from the long pointy end (furthest end from the big bump on the worm)

Hopefully this is a bit of info you can use, all the temp/ humidity requirements are listed on that care sheet I posted a link too earlier. The others will chime in and help out as soon as they can.

A good dusting schedule for your feeder insects can be found here : http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html

Nationality
    [United States]

Your temp and humidity are off, which is probably why he's not eating.

You need to get a good thermometer and hygrometer in there ASAP. Without them, there's no way to know exactly what you need to change. Temps should be 80-82 F during the day and 75-80 F at night. Since you've just got him at room temp, it's probably dropping below that at night. You'll need to buy either a heat pad or heat lamp. The humidity should be around 80%.

Also, do you have him sitting directly in a window? Direct sunlight can get the tank way too hot.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to FF! Appears your local store failed providing you with good care information for your frog . Read the care article linked above; replace the Eco Earth with new one mixed with dechlorinated tap; and raise enclosure temperature to 28C day/ high 26C night. Low 23-24C temperature exposure for a long time can cause permanent damage to frog kidneys and lymph hearts .

You can use a heat pad affixed to the aquarium side or a red heat bulb (or both) to raise enclosure temperature. Humidity should be between 70-80% and might need to seal off some of the top screen to help keep both heat and humidity in. Sometimes an automatic thermostat or a manual rheostat are required to dial in the temperature.

Since you just set this up, can save the EcoEarth you remove and place in a clean plastic bag. Let it dry out and then can re-mix with dechlorinated tap for the next substrate change.

Water dish should be filled with fresh dechlorinated tap daily to same depth as the frog's chin even when dish appears clean. Try offering food one hour after sunset couple days after you replace the substrate and stabilize the temperature/humidity. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

seks

Name:  pac.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  56.1 KBName:  pac2.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  62.9 KB

seks

Tnx for your replies.
    I'm just looking at the products on exo-terra.com just to get an idea of what kind of bare-minimum required equipment I should get:
    1. In addition to the required heat, my understanding is that there should be a simulation of day/night period. So would I have to get both a heater (heating section) and light bulb (in the lighting section)???? Or can I only just get the light bulb to do both heat and day/night lighting simulation??? And which light bulb types should I get? (UV light, visible light, or IR light/heat)??? To stimulate day/night, does that mean I have to change the bulbs out every 12 hrs (day white bulb and night blue bulb)??
    2. Instead of dechlorinator, can I just buy distilled water or reverse osmosis water (such as Dasani brand bottled water)? As for misting to create the desired humidity level, a spray bottle with distilled water or RO water is OK? Can the misty water be at room temperature (ie I don't have to warm it up)??
    3. A fake silk plant
    4. Change the substrate to one that has been moistened with dechlorinated water.
    5. Thermometer
    6. Hygrometer
    7. Are gloves (such as latex) safe to use to handle frogs? or should I just use barehands?
    Sorry for the stupid questions but as soon as I get replies to my questions, I am making a trip to the pet store.

Nationality
    [United States]

For handling, just wash your hands well and rinse in dechlorinated water... Honestly, when I'm 'handling' my pac, I usually end up scooping a lot of eco-earth up with her and am never touching her for more than about two seconds. I probably actually 'handle' my pac about once a month to move her to a holding container for cleaning, and am only touching her for about three seconds. Definitely not something I'd worry about getting gloves for.

One thing I noticed from your picture is that the water dish appears to be kind of a tupperware dish. You may want to get one of the reptile dishes with blunt/rounded edges. I'd just wonder if a pac could end up irritating their skin crawling in and out over that edge...
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

cjbage

Quote Originally Posted by seks View Post
    Tnx for your replies.
    I'm just looking at the products on exo-terra.com just to get an idea of what kind of bare-minimum required equipment I should get:
    1. In addition to the required heat, my understanding is that there should be a simulation of day/night period. So would I have to get both a heater (heating section) and light bulb (in the lighting section)???? Or can I only just get the light bulb to do both heat and day/night lighting simulation??? And which light bulb types should I get? (UV light, visible light, or IR light/heat)??? To stimulate day/night, does that mean I have to change the bulbs out every 12 hrs (day white bulb and night blue bulb)??
    2. Instead of dechlorinator, can I just buy distilled water or reverse osmosis water (such as Dasani brand bottled water)? As for misting to create the desired humidity level, a spray bottle with distilled water or RO water is OK? Can the misty water be at room temperature (ie I don't have to warm it up)??
    3. A fake silk plant
    4. Change the substrate to one that has been moistened with dechlorinated water.
    5. Thermometer
    6. Hygrometer
    7. Are gloves (such as latex) safe to use to handle frogs? or should I just use barehands?
    Sorry for the stupid questions but as soon as I get replies to my questions, I am making a trip to the pet store.
    Let me see if I can help a bit, the others can always help more:

1)This is what I have for lighting/heat: 1 clamp lamp with dimmer switch for the heating bulb, Ceramic heat emitter is better gives off heat without light great for 24/7 heating. Dimmer is important to help you get the right temp set up.
    Lighting period is 12/12 (12 on and 12 off ) your over head room light or a desk lamp will work but you can also go with a small lamp with a daylight bulb on it, but this will add some heat to the tank unless you use a very low watt compact florecent bulb. Great to have on a timer, you don't have to worry if you remembered to turn your light on / off.

2)Distilled water is fine for misting the tank down for humidity, BUT you have to use declorinated water for their soaking dish and the substrate dampener, I think some people use a natural spring water for their soaking dishes but I don't personally, the R/O - Distilled water will actually do damage to them over time, Here is a link to explain the water thing : http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...hing-else.html and remember substrate damp but not soaking wet, shouldn't be swampy

3, 4) yes

5 & 6) Digitals work better then analog ones, the analogs are not accurate.. and personal advice.. don't buy an All Living Things Digital combo its a pain to figure out.. they don't come with directions.

7) Latex free powder free gloves are great. Just make sure to rinse them off BEFORE handling the frog or doing anything inside the tank and don't reuse the gloves, pitch them when you are finished doing what ever you need to do with the tank/frog. And make sure to wash your hands before/after

this is just my opinion on this, others will have more info etc.. oh and one more thing.. do you have a screen top or incandescent hood on that tank.. I can't quite tell?

seks

Can someone point out to me which bulb for heating is suitable for that fixture? Can't seem to figure out from ZM's website

I was thinking of putting one bulb for heating and one bulb for night light.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Answered some of your questions below. Think your frog could benefit from a larger 10G tank and a water dish that is around 2X the size of frog. Good luck !
    Quote Originally Posted by seks View Post
    Unless you keep your frog in a dark basement; ambient light is fine to simulate day/night changes. Pacmans are nocturnal so you should offer food about 30 minutes after sunset although some are known to eat early in the morning because that's when shops feed them. If used as a heat source; it should be available 24 hours a day so you are limited to either red bulbs or ceramic heat emitters (around 60W should be OK). Either one will work OK in a dome fixture with an inline dimmer like the Fluker's model.

Get yourself a bottle of Seachem Prime and use that on your tap water. Both distilled or R/O type water will harm your frog. Many bottled water are over filtered or have added chloramines to meet city codes. The fact they are OK for humans to drink does not make them OK for frogs.

Disposable gloves are OK as long as you rinse them with dechlorinated tap. Otherwise wash your hands well and rinse them on dechlorinated tap. Try to handle frog as little as possible since it stresses them.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information