Thread: Ornate Horned Frog Setup

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Ornate Horned Frog Setup

Name:  写真 (1).jpg
Views: 226
Size:  97.0 KB

This is my new froglet! Sorry the picture isn't good. She's burrowing so I can't get a very good one, and Frogforum decided to turn the photo 90 degrees for some reason. Not sure if you can tell by this, but is she an ornate or another type of pacman frog?

Also, how can I judge how comfortable she is so I can know if I need to move her into the critter keeper?
    No frogs currently!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Congrats on your new Ceratophrys cranwelli. If a baby, the large tank will stress it, so its better to keep in critter keeper (only need substrate, water dish and silk plant) until it reaches 3 in. SVL.

Recommend get a ExoTerra Combo gauge or similar. It's important for baby health temp is 82F during day with few degree drop at night and humidity stays between 70-80%. More info on their needs can be found in here: Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding. As Mike mentioned, you can place the whole critter keeper inside the 10G since it's easier to control the parameters in the larger tank. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I started setting up the critter keeper. I have dirt in it so far. I need to stop at Petco tomorrow to pick up a tiny water dish and a small plant. Can the baby wait one day?

Should I put a background around three sides of the critter keeper? I feel like the smaller tank won't do much good if the baby can still see everything around her.

I have a temperature checker, and I don't like hygrometers because they're always inaccurate. I'll be sure to mist once daily and never forget.

Yeah, I didn't think she was an ornata. But that's okay. All pacman frogs are great!
    No frogs currently!

Namio

Quote Originally Posted by CinnamonPearl View Post
    I started setting up the critter keeper. I have dirt in it so far. I need to stop at Petco tomorrow to pick up a tiny water dish and a small plant. Can the baby wait one day?

Should I put a background around three sides of the critter keeper? I feel like the smaller tank won't do much good if the baby can still see everything around her.

I have a temperature checker, and I don't like hygrometers because they're always inaccurate. I'll be sure to mist once daily and never forget.

Yeah, I didn't think she was an ornata. But that's okay. All pacman frogs are great!
    Like Carlos suggested, exo terra makes a hydro/thermometer gauge that's pretty darn accurate, and you can get them for $15 or cheaper online. If your 10 gallon has three sides surrounded by background, then you don't have to add additional background to your critter keeper

Gibson

BTW, your frog has such a pretty shade of green you scored big time there!\

Would love to see more pictures!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Ornate Horned Frog Setup

I know! The expo had a really great selection. I sure got lucky.

I'll consider getting the Exo Terra hygrometer. I'll look into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No frogs currently!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Name:  image (10).jpg
Views: 575
Size:  90.3 KBName:  image (11).jpg
Views: 210
Size:  64.9 KBName:  image (12).jpg
Views: 396
Size:  75.3 KB

Got the critter keeper set up! BMO was really startled when I moved her, and she almost got knocked off the desk in the process (entirely my fault), but she seems alright now. She sat in the water for a bit and now is moving around. She seems more comfortable already if that's even possible.

The only thing I'm worried about is temperature. BMO is now over two inches closer to the heat bulb than she was before, so I'm worried that she'll get too hot. The temperature before the critter keeper was an average of 82 F. I'll be monitoring it closely to make sure the poor baby doesn't get too hot.

Oh, and the name is pronounced Beemo for you non-Adventure Time fans.
    No frogs currently!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Well I was right about temperature problems. I checked it and it was 90 F. Christ Almighty! I turned off the heat lamp so hopefully it'll cool down quickly. Poor BMO. I feel bad that I'm making her day a poor one.

No frogs currently!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Two questions, if any of you fine fellows would be so kind as to answer.

1. How many crickets should I expect the baby to eat? I ordered 1/16 size for her.

2. How fast will she grow? When will I be able to move her back into the regular setup?

If anyone knows the answers, please let me know. I'll also post a separate thread in the Pacman frog section in case none of you know.

No frogs currently!

Namio

Quote Originally Posted by CinnamonPearl View Post
    Two questions, if any of you fine fellows would be so kind as to answer.

1. How many crickets should I expect the baby to eat? I ordered 1/16 size for her.

2. How fast will she grow? When will I be able to move her back into the regular setup?

If anyone knows the answers, please let me know. I'll also post a separate thread in the Pacman frog section in case none of you know.

Regarding the over heat problem, you can get a heat lamp with an adjustable dimmer which you can play with to get the optimal heat output.

The length of the cricket can be as big as the width of your frog's mouth. The growth rate of each frog varies. Generally the more it eats, the faster it grows. Once the frog reaches over two inches long you can place your froggie in the tank.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I realized just now I probably got crickets that are too small. I'm new to having a baby frog, and I'm flipping out because I want to provide BMO with as little stress and as nice of a childhood as possible (as stupid as that sounds). I'll get her bigger ones next time.

I'll look into that heater. I want to see where the temperature is after the night, and then I'll decide. I've already spent a ton more than I originally planned on this project, so I'm trying to avoid buying more, but if the temperature is still whacky by tomorrow I'll put some research time in.

Do you have an estimate as to how long it'll take? Is there an average or something?

No frogs currently!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Temperature has become my number one stressor, and that isn't good with a test and a quiz coming up, so I'm gonna buy a temperature controller. I'm thinking of the R-Zilla one. It has good reviews on Amazon. I'm getting the Exo Terra hygrometer as well.
    No frogs currently!

Namio

I've grown a froglet (size of a dime) to almost three inches in six months.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Temp controller and hygrometer arrived today. The hygrometer seems all right so far, but I still don't trust it much. It reads 87% right now since I just sprayed. Hopefully the controller will help get the right temp so I can sleep easy.

I didn't see BMO today. Looks like she headed underground. I'm not surprised; she's been working on a hole for a while now. Hope she comes up today, but if she doesn't, that's fine. I'd just like to get some crickets in her belly. She ate two crickets yesterday. I gave her three, but the third cricket was perhaps the most annoying bug both BMO and I have ever dealt with. It crawled all over her and had her spinning in circles trying to catch it. I took off both its back legs and she still couldn't get it. I wanna feed her again today to fill her up some more. I don't know how long she went without a meal during her trip to the expo.

Anyways, things are starting to go good. Thanks to everyone who's followed along and offered advice. Your help is much appreciated.
    No frogs currently!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information