Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tadpole identification?

Default Tadpole identification?

I kinda doubt you guys can tell what kind it is from these horrible pictures but no point in not trying right? (Sorry they're so blurry. My camera is not good with water.)

I can narrow it down to either some kind of Woodfrog, Leopard Frog, or Spring Peeper based on location but, it would be very useful to know ahead of time which of the 3 it is.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Tadpole identification?

I am guessing spring peeper, possibly gray treefrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    I am guessing spring peeper, possibly gray treefrog.
    Wait. Do we have Gray Treefrogs up in northern-Maine?

Kurt

In a word, no. You might want get your hands on Amphibians and Reptiles of New England by Degraaf and Rudis. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

In a word, no. You might want get your hands on Amphibians and Reptiles of New England by Degraaf and Rudis. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used
    Thought so. *groan* I'd better start making plans on how to keep it from drowning then. (Mainly when it starts to go through metamorphosis but this will also be a problem for a cage set up later)

Kurt

If its a spring peeper, worry not. They're treefrogs. Wood frogs, leopard frogs, and the other Ranids are some what aquatic, so again no worries. Now if its an Anaxyrus americanus, which I don't think it is, there is a good chance of it drowning.

If its a spring peeper, worry not. They're treefrogs. Wood frogs, leopard frogs, and the other Ranids are some what aquatic, so again no worries. Now if its an Anaxyrus americanus, which I don't think it is, there is a good chance of it drowning.
    Last time I had spring peeper they drowned. (Which was actually originally how I found this forum. I was trying to figure out what was going on with my tadpoles.)

When I made a thread about it you guys suggested that I empty out most of the water so that it could touch the ground with it's feet easily. (I did that but it still ended up drowning. Apparently the line between too much water and not enough is a thin one...)

Edit: Here's the link to the topic I mentioned. http://www.frogforum.net/introductio...716-um-hi.html

HerpNwny14

It looks like a wood frog to me,def not a gray tree frog.....i just released a bunch of peeper tads and mine looked alot dif than that but theres a chance....check out this link it may help
    http://www.trentu.ca/biology/berrill...ationTable.htm

Quote Originally Posted by HerpNwny14 View Post
    It looks like a wood frog to me,def not a gray tree frog.....i just released a bunch of peeper tads and mine looked alot dif than that but theres a chance....check out this link it may help
    http://www.trentu.ca/biology/berrill...ationTable.htm
    ..... *bookmark* Wow I'm getting a lot of useful links off this site.

Now I'm like... 80% sure that's a spring peeper.

Only.. last time I tried to raise spring peepers from tadpoles they all either drowned or got eaten by each other. Unless those were simply not spring peepers? My picture is kind of unclear from last time but I'd say this one looks very similar to the last ones I raised. (easier to tell when he gets feet)

Hm... oh well. Guess I should just wait until he gets legs and then try not to let him drown just for the sake of trying. (I only have 1 so I don't have a lot of room for trial and error)

If for some reason I fail again I'm going to go ahead and conclude that spring peepers drown easily in a large aquarium full of water even if the aquarium is mostly emptied out and includes things to climb on.

Kurt

Thats an awesome page!

Crystal, what a lot of dart frog breeders/keepers do is put a tadpole in something like a small Tuperware/Rubbermaid/Zip-loc container with a little bit of water. When the tadpole begins to develope legs, they drain off some of the water and tilt it a little bit to form a little bit of a slope or beach. Often some sort of aquarium plant is used to help the froglet to climb out.

Thats an awesome page!

Crystal, what a lot of dart frog breeders/keepers do is put a tadpole in something like a small Tuperware/Rubbermaid/Zip-loc container with a little bit of water. When the tadpole begins to develope legs, they drain off some of the water and tilt it a little bit to form a little bit of a slope or beach. Often some sort of aquarium plant is used to help the froglet to climb out.
    Ah. Domo arigato gozaimasu. (Thank you very much kind person.)

Kurt

You're welcome

"Domo arigato Mr Roboto domo domo"

You're welcome

"Domo arigato Mr Roboto domo domo"
    Thanks again. But now I have 2 more questions.

First: For the aquarium plants you mentioned (to assist in him climbing out)... would frog moss be okay? (Zilla Premium Compressed Frog Moss 3.5 Ounce - 100009878)

Second... My tadpole has been doing something that kinda makes me paranoid. He sometimes lays or swims on his back. (It scared the **** out of me to see him just kinda floating there like that but when I poked him with a spoon he started swimming frantically again for a few seconds before doing it again.) He still eats and swims every now and then but sometimes he does so upside down... (Which looks very odd.)

^ it looked something like that. Should I be worried? Or is this normal.

After observation I think it might actually have air in it's body. Because it keeps swimming around in little circles as though it's trying to dive but then it gets tired and takes little breaks back in the back-float position.

CrazyAirborne

i dont know where, but i just read something this week about how tadpoles do get bubbles inside them, and it can be a bad thing if they dont get it out. I also have some tads that Im trying to ID. but they are super small right now, Ive had them hatch from eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyAirborne View Post
    i dont know where, but i just read something this week about how tadpoles do get bubbles inside them, and it can be a bad thing if they dont get it out. I also have some tads that Im trying to ID. but they are super small right now, Ive had them hatch from eggs.
    How do I get them out?

Kurt

The plants I am refering to are live Java moss and anacharis.

Every tadpole I have seen like this has died. Sorry.

The plants I am refering to are live Java moss and anacharis.

Every tadpole I have seen like this has died. Sorry.
    Aww. Does this mean I am free to try crazy things like squeezing the air bubble out of him or should I just wait it out?

Kurt

That's up tp you.

*tries* Yeah that's not happening. He is way too squishy and slippery. (So I am afraid I will harm him and if I try to take my time he slips away)

I'll just put him in an upside down glass with some food stuck at the top so he can eat and maybe let it out on his own. (Wow I have bad luck with Spring Peepers.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information