Thread: Pacman crossbreeding and other questions

WinstonChurhill

Default Pacman crossbreeding and other questions

Ok so I've been stalking the forum for a while now, and decided that it was time for me to ask some questions I've had.

I have a pacman frog, I believe to be a cranwelli, his name is Winston Churchill (will post a pic probably tonight) and he is one of my favorite pets I've ever had. I like him so much, that I've been looking into what it would take to make some little Winstons lol.
    I bought him at petsmart probably 6 months ago, and I'd say he is probably 2.5-3 inches from snout to vent. Is my frog old enough to sex? I looked for the pads on his hands yesterday and didn't see anything, but thought maybe he(or she?) might be too young to tell. How big do they have to be in order to tell?
    Also, I saw on here that a fantasy frog is a ornata and corunata or a cranwelli and a corunata? Is that correct?
    Can a oranata and a cranwelli hybridize? or a caatinga and a cranwelli?
    Has anyone tried this?
    Also does anyone have any information on how to get different morphs? or what two morphs breeding MIGHT come out like? Winston is green and brown mostly, but has a little bit of lighter green/teal kind of color, and even a few specs of red.

Thanks in advance for any answers, this is a cool forum. I never knew I'd like frogs so much lol. I've had snakes and lizards, but never really thought much of keeping frogs until I saw Winston hanging out in petsmart, now I want more of the little guys. Was thinking maybe a pixie, but then I thought it would be really cool to play darwin at my house and come up with a cool crossbreed or something.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pacman crossbreeding and other questions

Hello and welcome to FF ! Your frog is still young and should be 3.5-4 in. SVL before it starts to develop adult traits Can find answers to a few of your questions in here: Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding.

IMO, breeding Pacman frogs is very challenging even for an experienced keeper and not a "weekend warrior" type project. The linked article has a breeding section that goes briefly over the subject, so it should help getting an idea of what is involved.

Fantasy frogs (C. cranwelli X C. cornuta) are the only common viable sterile hybrid Pacmans in market today. Other Pacman hybrids have been produced; but the low numbers of frogs making it to sellable size and still lower survival to adult rates, keep them off the market.

IRT different morphs genealogy; the breeders only share that intellectual property with very close associates, if at all. If interested to learn more about Pacman's and their care, recommend read Philippe de Vosjoli book titled "Horned Frogs plus Budgett's Frogs."
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

WinstonChurhill

"It looks to be a Green Apple Pacman which is a hybrid between Ceratophrys cranwelli x C. joazeirensis.

Orwells are a hybrid between C. ornata x C. cranwelli. They are almost never produced and do not have any real identifying features other than looking like a cranwelli, but being patterned like an ornata."

I found this on the forum posted by a guy named Grif. Kinda answers some of my questions. Then I went to mikesphatfrogs website and looked at all his morphs and that answered a few more of my questions.

WinstonChurhill

Name:  WP_20140312_005.jpg
Views: 1042
Size:  55.5 KB this is winston btw

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by WinstonChurhill View Post
    Name:  WP_20140312_005.jpg
Views: 1042
Size:  55.5 KB this is winston btw
    Yes, Winston is a Cranwelli.

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post

IRT different morphs genealogy; the breeders only share that intellectual property with very close associates, if at all.
    depends on the breeder and their policy/agenda. There are some breeders who share their knowledge. E.g. here you can see the result of a Albino x Albino breeding >>click here<<, Apricot x Apricot breeding >>click here<< or Peppermint x Peppermint >>click here<< ...interesting colors/morphs, aren't they!?

=> Are their any line breedings of the different morphs or are the different morphs (apricot, super apricot, sunburst, patternless,...) just random results by breedings of different color morphs? *hmmm*

kind regards,
    Martin

Thread Information