Default Frog leg trade, salamanders used as fishing bait

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Frog leg trade, salamanders used as fishing bait

I read these articles fully and I was wondering if there is anywhere that fisherman would take there unused bait such as the salamanders larva and such instead of releasing them into the wild? Also, if the Tiger salamander is endangered, why in the heck are they using his babies as BAIT!

findiviglio

Quote Originally Posted by MsBlueRose View Post
    I read these articles fully and I was wondering if there is anywhere that fisherman would take there unused bait such as the salamanders larva and such instead of releasing them into the wild? Also, if the Tiger salamander is endangered, why in the heck are they using his babies as BAIT!
    Hello,

Thanks for your interest; returning bait is a great idea; unfortunately, the logistics, financial concerns etc. limit the ability to set up such a system. Also amphibians are quite delicate, re skin injuries, stress, lack of oxygen...while some may survive when released, most that are unused die or need medical treatment.

The tiger salamander situation is bizarre! They are not federally protected, so each state established individual policies. Also, there are several species and subspecies, and the conservation needs of each differ.

Best regards, Frank

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the info, I would like to study and work in the field one day. I have always found it so amazing and there are not enough people working with amphibians. I don't know where to start though. I want to work in Ecology, studying and protecting ecosystems and helping find solutions for our wetlands issues. I have always loved animals and I want to do my part for the better of our planet. I live in St. Louis but I don't know of any schools that would be able to put me on the path I really want to go down. I love reading your articles and it is so cool that you have had the honor of working so closely with so many different animals. All I have done is take part in frog watch with the St. Louis Zoo documenting different species and where they were seen, time of year, number of animals and quality of the ecosystem they are living in. And I must say i am not happy with what I have been seeing in my home state. I wish i could do more for them... Thanks again for your reply, I love learning new things. I think I am going to contact the state about our policies on bait used in Missouri.

Best Wishes;
    MsBlueRose

findiviglio

Thanks for the info, I would like to study and work in the field one day. I have always found it so amazing and there are not enough people working with amphibians. I don't know where to start though. I want to work in Ecology, studying and protecting ecosystems and helping find solutions for our wetlands issues. I have always loved animals and I want to do my part for the better of our planet. I live in St. Louis but I don't know of any schools that would be able to put me on the path I really want to go down. I love reading your articles and it is so cool that you have had the honor of working so closely with so many different animals. All I have done is take part in frog watch with the St. Louis Zoo documenting different species and where they were seen, time of year, number of animals and quality of the ecosystem they are living in. And I must say i am not happy with what I have been seeing in my home state. I wish i could do more for them... Thanks again for your reply, I love learning new things. I think I am going to contact the state about our policies on bait used in Missouri.

Best Wishes;
    MsBlueRose
    Hello,

Thanks for the kind words, and happy to hear you are becomming involved. Here's an article on careers in zoology....most of the info is applicable, in a general way, to a variety of related careers. Please let me know if you need more info, best Frank

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thank you so much for the link to the blog posting. I read the whole thing and am currently looking at some of the links provided there. I am sure it will be very helpful. So long as you don't mind, can I PM you with questions and concerns that may arise in the future? I know you could be a great help to me and I am very happy that you have taken the time to assist me in finding my path.

Sincerely;
    MsBlueRose

findiviglio

Thank you so much for the link to the blog posting. I read the whole thing and am currently looking at some of the links provided there. I am sure it will be very helpful. So long as you don't mind, can I PM you with questions and concerns that may arise in the future? I know you could be a great help to me and I am very happy that you have taken the time to assist me in finding my path.

Sincerely;
    MsBlueRose

Hi,

Sorry for the delay; sure, be in touch anytime...can be a difficult undertaking. The site doesn't send email notices of PM's, and I'm involved with many and cannot check regularly, so best to post on this thread or, better still, on the related blog article so that others interested in same career can read. best, Frank

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I would like to ask your opinion if I may. I am sure you have plenty of experience since you have worked in the field for so long. I recently caught three tree frog tadpoles and I think I have them identified, but I am not sure. I will post a pic of my biggest one for you. I am trying to get a less fuzzy image to post, sorry about that. Thanks for your help!

findiviglio

I would like to ask your opinion if I may. I am sure you have plenty of experience since you have worked in the field for so long. I recently caught three tree frog tadpoles and I think I have them identified, but I am not sure. I will post a pic of my biggest one for you. I am trying to get a less fuzzy image to post, sorry about that. Thanks for your help!

Hi....except for some very distinctive species, i.e. Am Bullfrogs, positive ID is usually not possible via photo...depends upon tooth structure and similar details. Habitat, geographic locale, time of year can sometimes narrow down the possibilities. Sorry I could not be of more help, best, Frank

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ive always used worms or crickets as bait when fishing, NEVER sallies.
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by findiviglio View Post
    Hi....except for some very distinctive species, i.e. Am Bullfrogs, positive ID is usually not possible via photo...depends upon tooth structure and similar details. Habitat, geographic locale, time of year can sometimes narrow down the possibilities. Sorry I could not be of more help, best, Frank
    Thank you for the reply anyway, Frank. I appreciate the help. I did compare the info you listed with what I see on our little ones, and I am pretty sure they are Grey's. But we shall see, lol. Looks like I may have my first test on identifying a species from the field on my own, lol. It will prove to be good practice! I really cn't wait to see what they are?! The one in the pic I posted already has back legs growing so it should not be too long before I know for sure what I have found. Thanks again. I will post pics again when he/she morphs. Ttys.

13. This member thanks MsBlueRose for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Im a fly fisherman and tie my own flies,I havn't used live bait in over 40 years.the other side of the story are careless beer drinking fisherman who after the day is finished,just toss their leftover leeches,minnows and salamanders right in the lake without any thought at all,I've witnessed this before.this is a big problem getting invasive species,and this type of behavior is very hard to monitor and correct.if you want to catch more fish,,learn to use artificial lures.

15. This member thanks Ted for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I believe you are right Ted... I have seen it myself as well. People just don't understand what they are doing to our ecosystems when they so carelessly discard live bait...! Even though we have wild life fish and game, even they can't be there to stop every instance of carelessness. We can only pray that enough people learn how to handle this situation properly and stop this behavior when they witness it (and share their knowledge about what kind of harm it can - and does - cause). I know I share my knowledge when and where ever I can to help our environment.

Thread Information