Thread: Reptomin Issues

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Question Reptomin Issues

Ever since I started to vary the diet of my ACFs they seem like they could care less about the reptomin, but are all about nightcrawlers or even the occasional little cricket/mini meal worm. Is this because they are more used to live prey? Is there anyway I can make reptomin more interesting for these guys, or should I trade off for nightcrawlers to be the staple?
    Мy darlings :
    0.2.0 Calico and Tuxedo cats Ksyenja and Koshek
    1.1.0 Xenopus leavis Carlos and Cecil
    2?.0.2 Bombina orientalis Ivan the Terrible, Peter the Great, Lenin and Putin
    0.1.0 Grammostola rose Megan Wallaby
    1.1.0 Heterometrus laoticus Ian and Isaac

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

I gave up on feeding pellets to my acf, she much prefers live, so she gets a mostly nightcrawlers and every now and then crickets/roaches gut loaded with reptomin.

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Reptomin Issues

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewM1 View Post
    I gave up on feeding pellets to my acf, she much prefers live, so she gets a mostly nightcrawlers and every now and then crickets/roaches gut loaded with reptomin.

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk
    Sounds like the plan for me. I try to feed them pellets and they look at them as if I'm trying to offer them something completely inedible. Then I chase them around with the reptomin until they finally manage to eat a bit, then they get bored and do their own thing/completely ignore me. haha
    I was looking at some cultures of dubia roaches since they are also more nutritious for my other critters

But thanks! I was worried that somehow the reptomin lost its' scent/flavor and that was the issue, but now I see it's more of a preference issue. Picky little froggies :P
    Мy darlings :

Nationality
    [Canada]

The whole idea of a staple is that you feed them that 50 percent of the time. All of the meaty items probably taste better that Reptomin. If the frogs are being feed too often and being offered meaty foods too often they will have no problem picking and choosing. I never have a problem with my frogs refusing food, they only get fed twice a week tops. Sometimes I skip a week. I feed pellets one time then meaty items the next time. My frogs are in good health and are plenty plump.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by rodsboys View Post
    The whole idea of a staple is that you feed them that 50 percent of the time. All of the meaty items probably taste better that Reptomin. If the frogs are being feed too often and being offered meaty foods too often they will have no problem picking and choosing. I never have a problem with my frogs refusing food, they only get fed twice a week tops. Sometimes I skip a week. I feed pellets one time then meaty items the next time. My frogs are in good health and are plenty plump.
    Yeah, I will eventually get to that stage, but I have fast growing juveniles. I usually give them a worm about once or twice a week and try to give them reptomin the other days.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
    Мy darlings :

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yeah, juvies can be a PITA sometimes, and they do need to eat everyday while they are growing. I find male juvies to be more of a PITA when it comes to their shyness and eating.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by rodsboys View Post
    Yeah, juvies can be a PITA sometimes, and they do need to eat everyday while they are growing. I find male juvies to be more of a PITA when it comes to their shyness and eating.
    Yeah, my suspected male is much more shy and chill than the female. She usually is aggressive enough to eat whatever I give her, but lately has been derping all over the place when I give her pellets.
    Мy darlings :

Hi,

I use earthworms as a staple for my ACFs. They are usually fed twice a week (all are adult, so I sometimes skip a week when Iīm on vacation). The females eat about everything, including pellets; the male is more picky and constantly refuses to take them. As long as it isnīt a problem for you to feed them live food, your frogs will be fine without pellets. While Reptomin pellets seem to provide about everything an ACF needs, itīs no must If you still want your frogs to to eat Reptomin, I would recommend fasting them for about a week and then feed nothing but the pellets until they reliably accept them. As long as they get more appealing food, they probably wonīt go crazy about pellets. Possible leftovers should be removed after about an hour.
    Amphibians kept:
    9.10.3 Hymenochirus boettgeri
    2.4.0 Xenopus laevis
    0.1.0 Hypselotriton orientalis
    3.0.0 Hyloxalus azureiventris
    4.1.0 Pipa parva
    2.1.2 Bombina orientalis
    1.0.0 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    2.2.0 Bombina orientalis

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Felis View Post
    Hi,

I use earthworms as a staple for my ACFs. They are usually fed twice a week (all are adult, so I sometimes skip a week when Iīm on vacation). The females eat about everything, including pellets; the male is more picky and constantly refuses to take them. As long as it isnīt a problem for you to feed them live food, your frogs will be fine without pellets. While Reptomin pellets seem to provide about everything an ACF needs, itīs no must If you still want your frogs to to eat Reptomin, I would recommend fasting them for about a week and then feed nothing but the pellets until they reliably accept them. As long as they get more appealing food, they probably wonīt go crazy about pellets. Possible leftovers should be removed after about an hour.
    Agreed, earthworms are sufficient as a staple diet. In fact a lot of zoos and exhibits feed them exclusively with frogs that are over 20 years old. As far as pellets go, Reptomin is not the be all end all food either. In fact there are some ingredients I do not care for. There are a lot of better foods on the market. Reptomin is very convenient though as most stores selling pet food carry it.

Nationality
    [United States]

I agree. Reptomin is actually a low quality pellet though ACF seem to do OK on it. Nightcrawlers with reptomin as a backup is how I feed my frogs now, I mix the reptomin in with frozen fish food I have laying around like daphnia or mysis to make the reptomin more nutricious though (thaw the frozen food, mix with reptomin, roll it into a ball and hand feed it -- messy). Once every few weeks I'll toss some crickets in there and they go crazy trying to hunt them. I'd say my ACF are on a 80% canadian nightcrawler diet now.

I tried tilapia a few times, the frogs really seemed to like it. I worry about it fouling the tank up though so I don't feed it very often. I wish you could get some aquatic crustaceans/insects as feeders, like freshwater gammarus, does not seem like there are many if any in the trade. I tried to find some scuds in the ponds around here and I was probably tresspassing and what I scooped up never contained any lol..

That aside, my male ACF is still not full grown (maybe 2 inches nose to vent) and he will eat reptomin but I usually just toss a nightcrawler in his tank every other day, he's only 2 inches but he's downing full grown canadian nightcrawlers like a champ. I think it's easier to feed worms, drop it in and they eat it immediately, they come up to your hands and take it from you, no mess no pellets to clean up. I find that ACF don't really find reptomin that well. I try to hand feed it, if you drop it in, they miss half of it and you have to clean it up.

It's always best to strive to leave zero leftover food in your tank.

Thread Information