Thread: Need help with Paludarium.

tecknos11

Default Need help with Paludarium.

I am planing on setting up a large paludarium mimicking a desert canyon landscape with some frogs, lizards, and fish in it. I have very little experience keeping frogs but plenty experience of raising tadpoles :-)

My plans are to extend a 125g aquarium upward, create a concrete/foam backdrop from top to bottom, and a shelf between the terrestial/aquatic zone that covers half the length of the enclosure for land. Hopefully this will create the perfect balance of arid desert and humidity.

I was thinking of mixing geckos and canyon tree frogs whose habitat I am mimicking.
    ======================================
    What do you think the best type of enclosure for the extension? I was thinking doing some like those vivariums where they use a black mesh instead of glass.

Can I mix canyon tree frogs, geckos, and fish in the same set up or will it not work out?

Here is the landscape I am mimicking where the canyon tree frogs live.

Photo1
    Photo2
    Last edited by tecknos11; May 22nd, 2010 at 06:40 PM. Reason: broken images

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

HerpNwny14

Default Re: Need help with Paludarium.

im sure that would look awesome when done,id recommend using foam sheets from home depot and cutting out fake rock patterns of foam and siliconing them on than using a concrete mix......there vids on youtube of how to,as far as mixing goes most people will tell you no,i dont know much about canyon tree frogs or which geckos you plan on putting in there,you may be able to get away with it if the frog and gecko are the same size but it doesnt guarantee anything,im sure the fish will be ok as long as there tetras/mollys or something smaller.....good luck post pics!

Kurt

Mollies need lots of salt, that's not good for the frog or the gecko.

HerpNwny14

really? i thought mollys were freshwater not brackish

Kurt

They originate out of estuaries and as such still require salt in their water. This is especially true of sail-fin mollies. You can actually put mollies in salt-water aguariums and many do to get a new tank cycled, before adding more expensive marine fish.

Thread Information