Thread: Culturing Nightcrawlers?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Culturing Nightcrawlers?

Since Le Bud has become so picky and doesn't seem to like crickets as much, I am considering starting a nightcrawler bin. They are $5 for a dozen at the pet store, and in Connecticut the baitshops are mostly seasonal. Does anyone else raise nightcrawlers? I'd like to know about your process! What kind of worms are you using? What kind of bedding? How much I should start with? How big of a container? I've done a little bit of research, but I like to hear from you guys too! THANKS!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    High Point, North Carolina, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Culturing Nightcrawlers?

I just switched my vermicompost bin (read rubbermaid tote with air holes) from red wigglers to European Nightcrawlers to accommodate my froggies. I bought a pound (300-350) of Euros from European Nightcrawlers since it's on sale and free shipping. All you need is newspaper, egg shells, and leftover veggies/fruit.

Here are some good instructions http://www.co.marion.or.us/NR/rdonly...mBinHowTo2.pdf

I especially like that he does mention that drainage holes are not needed - I don't have them and my compost is not wet, but I don't add water to my bedding (read newspaper) either. I've discovered that the water content of the food I put in there is more than sufficient to moisten the newspaper. So all my holes are in the lid and top half of the bin. Sometimes I get used coffee grounds and I'll mix my shredded newspaper in that which makes it a little moist. But I always have several inches of dry newspaper as the top layer to discourage worms from roaming. As long as they feel moisture, they will keep going until they crawl out your bin and all over your floor!

I have a shelf in my freezer for foods to be fed to the worms - just thaw before you add it. Freezing will kill off a bunch of stuff, so I freeze everything first. Forgotten, freezer burned food is good too. My friends donate lots of that stuff to me. :-)

For calcium and grit I just use a cheap coffee grinder to pulverize the egg shells. I have a container to hold the shells on the counter until I'm ready to use them. If they are still wet I will bake them before I crush them. I add eggshells everytime I feed which is once a week.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to holler.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks! I've been doing some of my own research, but that's probably the best article I've read so far! As far as "harvesting" goes.. can I just pull a few worms out of the bin for a feeding, or do I have to leave them all and only harvest at one time? I had the impression that I could keep it as an ongoing thing and leave them in there and just grab a few as needed..?

Nationality
    [United States]

Just grab as needed. I usually look for the ones that aren't filled with poop - you'll see the black line running down their bodies. I rinse and pat dry and even dust to improve grip. I'll chill them (fridge/freezer) as anesthesia so they don't fight back so viciously when being eaten or cut up.

Eventually, the constant layering of food and bedding will fill your bin with "black gold" = poo. I scoop 3/4 of the worms and poo into a big colander, put down bedding and food in the bin, place the colander in the bin on top of the food, replace bin lid. Most of the worms will crawl out of the colander leaving the poo for you to use in your garden.

When you first get your worms, put them in the bin with food and bedding and leave the lid off for a day or two until they settle in. Some people advocate leaving a light on during that time since the worms are light sensitive. I never do cuz the air in my house is so dry, the worms can feel it.

Nationality
    [United States]

Ahh that's very good to know! I had no idea what the black line meant! Do you use a mixture of bedding? Or just one material?

Nationality
    [United States]

I just use non glossy newspaper. When I order crickets, I'll use the egg carton - just put the whole thing in. In the winter, I'll put leaves in if I raked a pile that fall. I'm pretty lazy with the worms. They're just worms. I never understood the point of buying products for the worm bin when the purpose is to save money on compost by making it from scraps.

Nationality
    [United States]

You may have some vermicomposters in your area. Google, Craigslist, MeetUp.com. I'd look them up and see if u can't grab a cup or two of their compost to get the microbes to jump start your bin. If not you will need to add some dirt from your yard. Just don't be alarmed if some critters hatch out from the dirt though. :-)

Nationality
    [United States]

I finally ordered some Europeans! The are pretty small though, hoping they'll get bigger. Right now my big guy won't even eat them. I'm realizing maybe it is Canadians I've been getting for him. Any idea about how big the Europeans will get in comparison? And..my main reason for this post.. I can't get them to stay down in the substrate!! I have Ecoearth in there for now until our ground thaws out some, then I will dig up some soil. I have newspaper on top. The first night the paper was pretty damp so I took it all out and shredded more. That seemed to help a kittle, as there's fewer worms coming up. But how do I get them to stay?!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

I don't use anything but newspaper in my bin. The only reason to add dirt from your yard is for the decomposition organisms. Keep the top layer of newspaper dry. Nightcrawlers crawl through moisture at night so u want to discourage them with dry newspaper. I'll take pics of my worms later. My baby chameleon has fallen asleep on my left hand so I'm a tad indisposed.

Nationality
    [United States]

European nightcrawlers are about half the size of Canadian. Euros are the larger cousins of the red wiggler so they are composting worms. Canadians are burrowers and don't do well in worm bins because of the confined space, but will aerate your garden like no other.
    Canadian
    Name:  night1.JPG
Views: 378
Size:  11.8 KB

Euro
    Name:  eurohand.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  86.2 KB

My bin (food and newspaper)
    Name:  IMG_2125[1].jpg
Views: 316
Size:  113.0 KB

Tankfull Tropicals

Quote Originally Posted by Beep617 View Post
    Since Le Bud has become so picky and doesn't seem to like crickets as much, I am considering starting a nightcrawler bin. They are $5 for a dozen at the pet store, and in Connecticut the baitshops are mostly seasonal. Does anyone else raise nightcrawlers? I'd like to know about your process! What kind of worms are you using? What kind of bedding? How much I should start with? How big of a container? I've done a little bit of research, but I like to hear from you guys too! THANKS!
    Beep617. If you are a gardener it is easy.I raise lots of Red wigglers for my fish to eat. All you need is a plastic storage bin, half full of yr. old compost/ leaf mulch. Through in a dozen or so starter worms. You will need to wait a yr now though before you start harvesting and they have multiplied enough. Before I feed them I put them in a separate small container of moist peat and coco core fibre, with a pinch of finely ground fish food for a few days. This cleans out their gut of any compost. Don't know what your feeding but they are about 2 " long, red and quite active.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Tankfull Tropicals View Post
    Beep617. If you are a gardener it is easy.I raise lots of Red wigglers for my fish to eat. All you need is a plastic storage bin, half full of yr. old compost/ leaf mulch. Through in a dozen or so starter worms. You will need to wait a yr now though before you start harvesting and they have multiplied enough. Before I feed them I put them in a separate small container of moist peat and coco core fibre, with a pinch of finely ground fish food for a few days. This cleans out their gut of any compost. Don't know what your feeding but they are about 2 " long, red and quite active.
    Red Wigglers may be rejected due to their self-defense mechanism that produces an offending taste. That's why I switched my bin from red wigglers to european nightcrawlers.

Nationality
    [United States]

I have the Europeans, but he can't be bothered. Not sure if it's because they're too small. They've gotten bigger, I'm hoping they will grow more though. Still have been going out and buying them by the dozen, which does not last very long!

Nationality
    [United States]

So he doesn't like the europeans but devours the canadians? Interesting... i wonder if there's a taste difference there too?

Nationality
    [United States]

Yeah it is crazy he sometimes will jump up to grab the next one as soon as he sees it coming! But the Europeans, forget it. Didn't eat for almost a week cause he kept refusing the Europeans I have. Finally went and got some big fat Canadians, devoured 8 of them before I finally cut him off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Thread Information