Thread: New red eye tree frog and i need advise PLEASE

sgoodman23

Default New red eye tree frog and i need advise PLEASE

We picked up our little red eyed tree frog "booger" on Sunday it is now Tuesday and i havent been able to get him to eat, I am starign to get a little worried. So far here is how its gone....
    Sunday we put the terrium together as the pet store and sites we read had suggested. Substrate, moss, water dish , jungle vine and a hanging (artificail plant). I put two dusted crickets in the cage they both died and were not eatten. I misted the tank as instructed. Monday morning my little "Booger" was a pale greyish green and had not even moved a bit. AT this point it had been alomst a full 24 hours were the only movement was him opening his eyes when we misted the terrium. We ran to the pet store picked up the heater (we were told want needed) a water fall and the gages for humidity and temp. Now another 24 hours and the tank is staying at about 78 and the humdity is around 70-76%. We have ordered a fogger for the water fall NO pet stores in our area carry them or auto misters. So this morning "Booger" had at leasted moved places and had a much better color to him, that he maintaied all day. BUT i can not get him to eat! I got baby crickets that are smaller than the width of his eyes apart as suggested, i tried putting him in a seperate continer with just him and 3 crickets ... he just climbed up the sided and showed no interest. We have gone step by step with every
    help page we could find. Any input would be greatly appricated!!Name:  IMG_20140223_194635_874.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  79.0 KBName:  IMG_20140224_201037_170-1.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  116.8 KBName:  ResizedImage951393199757473.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  71.7 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New red eye tree frog and i need advise PLEASE

Sgoodman23,

Sounds like you have everything going as needed. The best thing you can do for your new friend is to just let him be. He is super stressed from the move to your house and likely stressed from his time at the pet store (I have yet to see a pet store care for any frogs properly). The Temps and Humidity sound good. I'll add a few things. I am sure you are already doing most of them, but I will add them just in case.

12 hour Day/night Cycle. This is best done with a timer so it is like clock work every day.

Misting - When you mist, do not spray directly onto your RETF. They do not like it and will likely prolong the time it takes him/her to acclimate to his/her new home.

Feeding - Try using a small pyrex bowl for feeding. I was a sceptic of this at first to because My 2 RETF loved to hunt, but now they know where the bowl will be each night and go nuts on the crickets. It helps keep track of how many they ate. Any uneaten crickets should be removed in the morning and put back with all the other crickets so they can eat and drink and be ready to be healthy food the next time.

At night try to avoid shining lights into the terrarium. It is hard to resist so just do it as little as you can. RETF LOVE LOVE LOVE complete darkness

Don't worry about the color to much. They daytime color can carry depending on the surface they choose to sleep on. I saw one of my RETF leg look grey almost blue because it was against the glass next to a blue light.

Above all be patient with him/her. They can go weeks without eating and be ok. Put 4 - 8 crickets a night in the bowl for Him/Her to eat. RETF are great about not over eating and will leave any un needed food in the bowl when they are full.

sgoodman23

Thank you very much!!! Yes i am doing the 12 hour light cycle but i didnt realize until today not to actually mist him. I was told to keep him moist and in the reading i had done it didnt say not to so unfortunalty i had sprayed him I have not tried the bowl yet. Wont they jump out of the bowl? Im sure a dumb and mean question but should i remove their jumping legs? We did that in the beginning for a bearded dragon we had when i was growing up..
    As for his night cycle, its pretty dark in the dining room where he is set up.
    I didnt know they could go so long with out eatting i will try to give him a few more days before i start to worry.
    I put 4 tiny crickets in there this evening and i will check for them in the morning. Right now i am fidning them more on the outside of his tank then anything.
    Thank you again for your help and input !!!

Nationality
    [United States]

Mine get some mist on them when the automatic mister goes of throughout the day, but they generally find sleeping spots that will minimize the water that gets on them. When they are sleeping they get a sort of membrane on their skin that help lock in moisture. When that membrane gets wet it starts to break down some. Accidentally getting water on them is fine though.

Handling him and moving him into a container to eat will continue to stress him out. Sometimes it can't be avoided. When I have to move mine I will wait till they are asleep and then move the plant they are on out and into another container. This way they don't get scared and stress out.

The crickets won't be able to jump out of a glass bowl. They can not get any traction on the glass. So they wait helplessly in the bottom of the bowl for their turn to be eaten

Also if you do decide to use a bowl it is important to not wash it with soap and water. Wash it with hot tap water and that is it. Soaps will leave behind filmy residue that your frog will absorb through his skin and will make him sick or kill him in extreme situations.

Make sure his water is dechlorinated tap water. You can use any Aquarium dechlorinating solution. I bought a gallon jug of water and dumped the water out and refilled it with tap water. I just keep refilling it as it is emptied. I also mist with the same water.

Paul

6. This member thanks DigitalPunk for this post:

sgoodman23

Yup I did just that with the water!
    I will try the glass bowl trick and see how that goes.
    I was afraid and had read mixed reviews on putting him in a sepreate tank to eat but i figured i would try, lesson learned.
    Unfortunalty with as much reading as I had done before bringing him home still trying to figure it all out
    THANK YOU again

Nationality
    [United States]

That is they way it goes lol. Nothing beats first hand experience . This forum is full of people who have all sorts of knowledge to share. Ask any and all questions. We will do our pest to answer them and help you and your new family member have the best experience possible.

The bowl trick is amazing. I love it now .

9. This member thanks DigitalPunk for this post:

sgoodman23

Awesome!

Hberry75

Hi! I have had my red eyed tree frog Ruby for 1 wk today and she has had zero interest in food. I am seeing on here that there is no need to worry if all else seems fine, which it does. I put the crickets in a glass container which so far they have not got out, but she has not eaten any. I guess she will when she is ready. How long had it been since yours started eating? and did you just put in loose crickets or do you have a food dish set up?

Thread Information