Thread: Why Did All My Nightcrawlers Die?

WorldClassFrogCoddler

Unhappy Why Did All My Nightcrawlers Die?

I had a couple of european nightcrawlers in a styrofoam container, which they came in, and few most of them to my frog. Once I got another shipment of worms, there were 3 or 4 left in the original container and 18 in the new one.

I woke up in the morning and when I decided to feed Bubba, I decided to give him one of the new worms because they're fat and healthy and he's been sick.

But no worms were there. I dug a little deeper, and still nothing. I finally dug all the way to the bottom and found them, but they didn't feel right. They were slimy and limp. I pulled some out and their stench confirmed they were all at the bottom and all quite dead. I checked the other old container, and those 3 or 4 worms were dead too!

After putting all the pieces together I decided to look it up, and found that my refrigerator was way too cold for them.

But the thing is, the first container had 12 nightcrawlers and Bubba, who is not even 2 inches SVL, ate most of them over the course of a week and a half or so.

So why did they all suddenly die THAT specific night? My only theory is that maybe while I was sleeping, the house got colder than usual and this, combined with the already too cold temperature setting in the fridge, cause the temperature inside to drop even lower.

But if that's not the reason, I have no idea what happened.

The styrofoam containers had soil in them and holes for ventilation too, so I don't suspect that was the problem. I've learned they don't need to be refrigerated and thrive best at room temperature, this according to a well regarded worm breeder's website.

Anybody have any ideas?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Why Did All My Nightcrawlers Die?

When I buy night crawlers at Walmart, I check them at store to make sure are alive and well. Since all your night crawlers in two containers died, it's possible conditions in refrigerator were the cause. Mine are kept in the vegetable bin with no problems .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Fridge is a must! Left over overnight at room temp they die and be very stinky.

I suspect they dried out, was the soil dry?

Here are good tips in how to keep them longer time Frequently Asked Questions - Canadian Nightcrawlers Wholesale Bait

i usually get bulk amount from them, the longest i kept them was close to 4 months until they were eaten.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Hypnotic

At first, all of mine kicked the bucket too. I kept them in my reptile room at 78° (boy, that was a smell I'l never forget.
    I now keep them in the basement and they last months!

Thread Information