Thread: Gray Tree Frog Tank Question ???

frog

Question Gray Tree Frog Tank Question ???

Hi, is a 29 gallon tank an good height/size (30.25Lx12.5Dx18.75H) for tree frogs (2 to 3)? Should i go with a 30 or 50 gal extra tall tank or is this fine?

What is the groups opinion on screen tank tops, not the flat kind a screen box on the top of the tank to get extra height. Would this this type of top be to hard to keep the humidity level in the tank or just stick with the flat screen top?

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

treefrogfan

Default Re: Gray Tree Frog Tank Question ???

So far most people I talk to say three gallons to a frog. Also I have a screen top on my terrarium and I put saran wrap over half the screen and that seems to help keep the humidity up. Hope this helps.

scribbles

Three frogs reuire good ventilation, and depending on the climate where you live, the screen top should be fine in my opinion. A 29 gallon tank is okay to use, but aboreal frogs do prefer an enclosure that is taller than it is long.

Kurt

I think a 20 is a decent size. I think you are referring to the wire-cage-like tops you can buy that will extend the height of the enclosure. Am I correct in this assumption? If remember right the grating is not all together that tight. So the problems I see are, first what's to stop the frog from relieving itself in a projectile kind of way shouting fecal matter outside the mesh and what's to stop the crickets from escaping? As far as ventilation is concerned, its no different than a convention screen top, at least not down in your tank.

scribbles

O
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    I think a 20 is a decent size. I think you are referring to the wire-cage-like tops you can buy that will extend the height of the enclosure. Am I correct in this assumption? If remember right the grating is not all together that tight. So the problems I see are, first what's to stop the frog from relieving itself in a projectile kind of way shouting fecal matter outside the mesh and what's to stop the crickets from escaping? As far as ventilation is concerned, its no different than a convention screen top, at least not down in your tank.
    Oh, I didn't realize you were referring to that kind of cover. I thought you were referring to covering the whole top of the 29 gallon with screen. My apologies, I need to read slower.

frog

Yes, i was referring to the cage tops. I decided to go with a flat screen top for now.I might make a custom tall top for it in the future. I picked up the 29 gal set up cheap at a tag sale and in the process of turning it into a vivarium. Just finished cutting all the plastic and silicone it in place. Getting ready for the foam and waterfall feature. I will post some pics of it when it is done.

L8R

Philsy

I keep my Greys in a 20 gallon extra tall, it has the same footprint as a 10 gallon but it is 24 inches tall. It absolutely sucks as a fish tank but is awesome as a tree frog enclosure.

Kurt

Or rain chamber. That's what I got mine for.

Thread Information