Thread: Cuban tree frog missing eyes need help with feeding

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Cuban tree frog missing eyes need help with feeding

There is a wild large 3 inch Cuban frog that lives outside above my windowsill. Recently a new 2 inch Cuban tree frog has been outside the window eating at night too. I went out in the morning and found him on the windowsill with one eye missing and the other eye black and cloudy. I think he may have escaped being eaten by the other frog or maybe a raccoon as they come out in the yard every night too. I feel so bad for him. I have an extra 10 gallon tank so I brought him inside and looked him over. He also has a cut under his chin and looks to have red tinge under his legs, so he may have red leg.
    He is smaller so I went to the pet shop and bought small crickets for him. He is an outdoor frog, so he mainly eats flying insects. He is blind and I worry with him never eating a cricket before and not being able to see them move he not going to eat. I found him yesterday morning, bought crickets last night and placed about 6 inside the tank with him. I tried feeding him with tweezers and he took his little hand and pushed it away every time. Today I tried the credit card but couldn't open him mouth, I didn't want to hurt him. I wiggled one in front of his mouth and dropped it right on his little toes and he took his hand and wiped it off the hide. Any ideas of what I can feed him? I fear he is blind now, the one eye he has is pretty bad. He looks to be okay other than his eyes.
    I have three 5" long pet Cuban tree frogs and I really adore this type of frog. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Cuban tree frog missing eyes need help with feeding

Hello and welcome to FF. Kind of bad situation because you can't take frog to a veterinary in FL since they are considered a pest. Also; if infected, could get your other frogs sick too. Don't worry about feeding right now and try to get frog healthier and maybe save one eye. If frog is not already in a hospital like enclosure; set it up as soon as possible.

Get some Melafix in the fish area of pet shops and prepare around 1 gal. of solution according to bottle label instructions. Then use solution in frogs water dish, to spray enclosure, and to drip over frog when it sleeps 2x a day. Can store mixed solution in a dark place and t's OK if it get's over eyes.

Melafix is a mild natural anti-biotic that should help get frog better and hopefully get it back eating. Do continue to offer food; but do not force feed or try tongs on frog's face. It's an injured wild frog and will get stressed more. Keep frogs crickets away from feeders used for the other frogs and never return an uneaten cricket from a sick frog enclosure to a common feeder bin. Let us know how it goes and if frog looks to be losing weight fast. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I touch food to my froggies nose and they take it no problem. He feels lousy right now. Dont push it. Another thing, get some undyed unflavored pedyalite. That is very good for a sick frog as it has electrolytes in it. Use a small amount added to the bath water, not straight. I dont remember how much in water, I'm sure someone else can tell you.

If you want to use neosporin get the kind without pain killer. Otherwise it will kill frog. Good luck with him.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you so much, I appreciate your fast response. I have ordered the Melafix from Amazon and it will be here in the morning. Thank you for telling me about the crickets, I did put the baby crickets back in with other baby crickets. My pet frogs eat only large crickets but I was going to feed these to them if froggy doesn't make it, they are in a different container. Now I will just release them outside. I have froggy in a 10 gallon with a bottom heat pad, a plastic container as a hide and water dish. Using paper towels as substrate. He is being kept in another room, but I keep my other frogs crickets in there too in a huge sweater box, is that safe? I have froggys crickets in a little cricket plastic house on a shelf near by. I would like to have him out here with me and my other frogs, but thought redleg may be airborne? If he even has it. I appreciate your help. Thank you!

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you I will get the pedyalite and research the exact amounts. Will look into neosporin. I do have bactine with pain reviler just incase I find a poor baby outside that needs help crossing over. Thankfully I have never had to use it.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

The amount for the pedialyt is 1 part pedialyte to 10 parts water.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you for the amounts, I appreciate every ones help. I will get it tonight. How many times should he be placed into the pedialyt bath? He is blind so he is not sure where everything is in the tank. I have been placing him into the bath and removing him. I have been leaving him in the bath for about 10-20 minutes 2 times each day so far. These frogs mean so much to me, all of them, they are such blessings.

Nationality
    [United States]

I gave frog pedialyt today and it give him a bit of energy. Still not eating though, the melafix come in so I am going to treat him later tonight. Since I didn't have anything for him last night, I treated him for parasites like I do all my other frogs and gave him a bath in distilled water with some colloidal silver. His red leg tinge is completely gone! Will keep in touch, may need more help if he doesn't eat by tomorrow. Thank you all.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Im glad the ped helped and his red legs are better too. He will get used to where everything is in his tank.
    Dont forget: blind pets are some of the best. Yes they require extra care and help, but they are cool.

I have had two blind mantids at different times. One damaged his eyes when he molted, the other Im not sure what happened to her. Her eyes became pitted and black. They both were the sweetest praying mantids Ive had.

I knew a blind cat some people had. He knew where everything was in the house. He really liked me and some yarn I brought to show off. Before I knew it, he was laying on it! I took it home and made him a blankie with it.
    He will be ok.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by wen View Post
    ...He is being kept in another room, but I keep my other frogs crickets in there too in a huge sweater box, is that safe? I have froggys crickets in a little cricket plastic house on a shelf near by. I would like to have him out here with me and my other frogs, but thought redleg may be airborne? If he even has it...
    Redleg is a bacterial disease, so as long as there is no direct contact and you do not share equipment among enclosures and wash hands between servicing them, it should be fine. Yep, it's a common mistake to return feeders to a common bin and accidentally contaminate the whole collection. Safest thing to do with a multiple frog collection is to discard uneaten feeders .

Nationality
    [United States]

Ahh Thank you Carlos, That really means a lot that he can be out here with us. I will bring his aquarium out with us tonight. I just got through working and am about to mix the melafix and tend to him. I put a small larger male cricket in his tank in hopes that it chirps and gets his attention. Still no luck in eating. Thank you silkmoth yes the ped worked it give him some strength to hop a few times. I wish they had some sort of cricket broth for them too. Being able to have him beside me all day to keep an eye on him will be good. I work from home and all my frog terrariums are around me. He will be near the window he used to live at outside. He used to look inside at me and my other frogs. I let them sit on my desk at night and I pray the little guy gets his eye sight back in the one eye. Ohh wow you had mantids, that is unique. I bet they were sweet. I will tend to and take wonderful care of this little guy. I've been praying for a miraculous recovery as I do believe in miracles. I'm going fly catching tomorrow and see if that may help.

Nationality
    [United States]

You guys saved my frog! Thank you all. This morning I gave him a ped bath, sprayed him and his tank with melafix. Then I caught some flies and he ate one! He was refusing the crickets, so when I brushed his mouth with the fly he opened wide. So I tried a medium size cricket and he ate it too! I am the happiest person alive today. This frog has a new home living inside. I'm off to buy him a new hide and a a branch or two. Thank you all! His new name is "Carlos Silkmoth" .

14. This member thanks wen for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I am so glad hes eating! And Thank You so much for giving him my name! That is sooo sweet! I will name one of my mantis girls Wendy.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hehe cool, I know I can't believe it, I am so grateful. Thank you again!

Nationality
    [United States]

Glad Carlos Silkmoth is better and glad we could help !

Nationality
    [United States]

Name:  carlossilkmoth.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  76.3 KB
    Thank you so much, here is a picture of the little guy. I think one of my other frogs is jealous, I tell him he is still number one frog.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

He's very pretty, I like his markings. Give him pretend kisses for me!

Nationality
    [United States]

Okay I will tell him, thank you, I think he is a beauty too. Can't wait to see him with a full belly.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I named my female chinese mantis after you Wendy! She said she likes the name. She wants to get in with the frogs. Little does she know they would eat her!

Name:  Picture 752.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  78.2 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

Well thank you, and look at that little cutie, such a pretty color. It looks like she is waving hi for the camera.

Thread Information