Thread: Please Help! Edema?

jsparkles33

Default Please Help! Edema?

My 4 yr old male albino pacman is in bad shape! I have him in a 5gal tank, he soaks when he wants, has a partial heating pad under cage, eats hoppers every week or so. NOW he hasn't eaten, I picked him up yesterday to change the substrate and noticed he's getting more swollen by the day! His throat is filled with fluid, he's rubbing it like its uncomfortable. I'm always around this frog, i know his habits. I've taken him out, which will normally make him urinate. For 3 days now he's getting bigger and has not urinated!!! I am extremely concerned! Please help, I don't have a vet for him, he's always been in great health. I'm on the verge of tears when I see how water logged he looks. I do have pics- him normal and him last night. I've never posted before, I hope I'm in the right place. I'll try to post pics as well, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Please Help! Edema?

This is bad..... I suspect the frog has kidney failure due extreme obesity, that happened because he was eating hoppers every week or so. However only blood tests can confirm that. Please answer trouble in the enclosure questions here, there. Might be something else going too, like what kind of water you use, what are temps, etc.
    Heat pad is under the cage that did him help him with natural body thermoregulation. but "why" is not helping you.

The frog needs a vet now, he needs diuretics and hydrotonic baths. At home you can try to soak him in undiluted unflavoured pedyalite solution. One way or another if it is in fact kidney failure there is not much you can do for him. So sorry
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

4. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Welcome to FF and I'm very sorry about your frog . A diet of hoppers and/or too low temperatures can do irreversible damage to frog's kidney's or lymph hearts. Both events would lead to edema. Agree with Lija in that this frog needs a herp veterinary now. Maybe one of these lists can help you find one: Arav and Herp Vet Connection.

You might alleviate the edema by bathing frog in an Epsom salts solution. Use 1 teaspoon of Epsom salts in 1 gallon of 80F dechlorinated tap water. Use enough solution to bath frog in a small critter keeper or plastic container with holed top to frogs chin level for 20 min. twice a day. Please take a look at below questions and provide answers here to try and identify what else went wrong. Same info will help you organize thoughts if taking frog to vet. Good luck !

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”

The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.
    16. How old is the frog
    17. How long have you owned him/her
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    20. How often the frog is handled
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

6. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

There is no treatment we can provide for you. If this is indeed fluid buildup you will need a drug called Furosemide and will have to inject he frog with it in the front half of the body just beneath the skin. This will open the tubes in his kidneys and begin to flush out fluid. With how bad off he is there are no guarantees. I'm sorry there is nothing more we can do.

I hope you can get help for him. I wish there was more we could do.

8. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

jsparkles33

Default Please Help! Edema?

Thank you all for your help and advice. The Epsom salt baths have drastically reduced the edema, the pedialyte is helping as well. I took him to a herp vet. Cultures come back in a few days- he's on antibiotics now. If the antibiotics don't help, we know it's not an infection and definitely renal failure. My fingers and toes are crossed!!!
    Thanks again to everyone who was able to offer such quick and accurate advice. Very much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

Please keep us updated on his progress. Renal failure is very bad and hopefully that isnt the case. Another problem can be Cystic Kidneys which there is no cure for either.

11. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Thread Information