Thread: Nightcrawlers in the dead of winter?

reptileszz

Unhappy Nightcrawlers in the dead of winter?

Hi guys, does anyone know if Walmart keeps nightcrawlers thru the winter in CT? My supply at the local convenience store dried up and Petsmart didnt even have any today. Yikes! Fishing season doesnt start until April 20th apparently. I looked it up. Any ideas?

I just fed Tuko a good sized mouse and the albino (smaller) took a smaller mouse (Leftovers from snake feedings). I can certainly get by with mice as I have plenty of them but I dont want to overdo the mice! My fantasy frog will still take crickets and the occasional roach. I am pretty sure Tuko will take big roaches (not entirely sure as I havent offered them in awhile) but the albino is going to be rough. He will only eat nightcrawlers and mice as far as I can tell. Since the day I got him he has never eaten a bug of any sort.

Thanks,
    Carole

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Nightcrawlers in the dead of winter?

Most Wal-Marts carry worms year round.

DesertHeat

Yup, as Grif said wal-mart has them. Just watch out because they also sell the red and green dyed worms and the containers aren't always clearly marked.

reptileszz

Quote Originally Posted by DesertHeat View Post
    Yup, as Grif said wal-mart has them. Just watch out because they also sell the red and green dyed worms and the containers aren't always clearly marked.
    Thanks guys. I will definitely open them up while I am there!

Carole

Hypnotic

I'm also suffering from this problem, unfortunately my country does not have a wal-mart . I'm currently mainly feeding cockroaches and grashoppers. I can still get little nightcrawlers for my babies but they are too small for my adults.

Nationality
    [United States]
    High Point, North Carolina, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I have an indoor vermicompost bin that does double duty and provides nightcrawlers all year round. Or you can order a batch from redworms.com

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Nightcrawlers in the dead of winter?

Where in CT are you? I believe Jimmy O's bait & tackle in Bridgeport is year round. There's also a reptile shop in West Haven. I've never been yet, but they would probably have them. Pet smart seems to be hit or miss for me, as well. And expensive! $5 for a dozen. Thankfully, my guy gets the point and if no worms for a few days he'll give in and eat the crickets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

I just got some night crawler from Walmart like 30min ago

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

reptileszz

Thanks guys, I havent tried walmart yet. I had a few nightcrawlers left after feeding two of them the mice a couple of weeks ago and they arent eating as much as in the summer. But am going to have to go take a look this weekend. Oh and I am at least an hour from Bridgeport. There is reportedly a bait shop a couple of towns over. I could give them a call. A local fisher friend has no idea if they have them in the winter. I imagine people use them for ice fishing but who knows.

Thanks again!
    Carole

Nationality
    [United States]

yes walmart carries nightcrawlers .which are great for frogs..just be sure to open the container and smell it ..if it smells bad then check out another one..bad worms stink and you will know by smell..myself i cant wait till warm weather and ill catch some nightcrawlers myself..mice are mainly a treat so0o0oo0 dont over do it cause there high in fat and an obease frog is going to end up unhealthy..oh the walmart worms will be in the sporting section... have a nice day

reptileszz

Went to Walmart today and was reminded why I hate it so much. What a disaster and a mess. They have been trying to turn it into a Super Walmart for months and months. The place is in a shambles. And they dont even have a refrigerator. The kid in sports said they are supposed to get one by the end of April. That place is a joke. They are supposed to build one right nearby here. I hope to God it is better than our old one. The ones in Florida are so nice!

I did manage to find them at a different Petsmart than I tried before! WOO! I think between the dubia, an occasional mouse and these 24 worms I should be all set til the next show on Long Island in March!

Thanks!
    Carole

Nationality
    [United States]

Yea some walmarts are dumps! The newer ones are nicer

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Thread Information