Thread: Questions about tank and humidity

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Questions about tank and humidity

Hey guys!

I know it's been forever and you probably don't remember me but I'm the owner of two Fire Bellied Toads, Monster and Mercy! Anyway, I honestly haven't been updating here because I HATED the tank my guys were in and I felt ashamed to even show any pictures. Well FINALLY we have a HUGE tank. I know it's a bit big for my two but I LOVE it because now they have room to REALLY SWIM and once I finally get a divider they'll have more land room as well!! It's 30 inches long and 18 inches high

For temporary they have a water dish turned upside down with some fake plants so they can climb out of the water, or sit on the plants and just soak. I never keep the water too deep, it's full enough that they can stand with their feet on the bottom and always keep head above the water.

Anyway on to my questions!!

I have a heat lamp because my room is literally THE COLDEST ROOM IN THE HOUSE. The lamp keeps the temperature within the tank at 70 degrees F. Now before the heat lamp they basically had to live completely cold and were doing fine with it but I still hated it knowing they would be much happier if they were warmer. I keep a space heater in my room and I aim it towards the tank, it's set to 75 but I swear it literally does nothing for my room.

Anyway now that i have the heat lamp their tank is pretty much staying warm, however, the pet store associate told me to cover the screen to hold heat and humidity in. The way I have my tank right now is the water is completely filling the bottom and their "Land" is the overturned water dish. Is it really necessary to cover the screen? The heat I check it every time i go to sleep and every time i wake up, it's always sitting at 70. I'm sorry this post is all over the place I'm really A.D.D and I'm watching pokemon while writing this..yeah..
    Monster and Mercy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Questions about tank and humidity

Hello Kip! If your room is coldest in house (mine is too) the DeLonghi HMP1500 Mica Panel heater works great in matching my room or even making it warmer than rest of house. Covering most of top screen with aluminum foil will definitely help hold heat and raise the humidity in any enclosure and will be fine with RBTs. Only time when you can't use that trick is when dealing with low humidity frogs like some tree frogs. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Amy Adams

Default Re: Questions about tank and humidity

I added a lid to keep in some humidity, but keep it half open as they need ventilation, but I am having some issues with the little guys. Please let me know what works best for you...

Thread Information