Thread: pacman buried

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default pacman buried

My juvy ornate has seemed to have completedly buried itsself fot about 2 days is that okay?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: pacman buried

As long as enclosure parameters are correct (check them and gauges too) and frog is not stressed it's fine. What size is enclosure and frog's snout to vent length (SVL)? Is enclosure in low traffic area and are 3 sides covered? Thank you !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

i dont know whats SVL is but all 3 sides are covered abd temps day time 27c°-28c° sorry dont know and understand that is for you americans in F° and night 24c°- 25c° but wha i did About 4 days ago as it did same was undig it and level the substrate again and within an hour ate then it completly buried its self again

DesertHeat

SVL stands for snout to vent length. In other words how long is your frog from mouth to butt

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Ahh im not sure will have to check but before i do seems im on my phone aas its now 2am, i will upload a photo tomorrow of side view of it before i disturb im/herand at same time will sex it ,

Nationality
    [United States]

Just uncover the frog's head and it will eat if hungry.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by reptifrog View Post
    i dont know whats SVL is but all 3 sides are covered abd temps day time 27c°-28c° sorry dont know and understand that is for you americans in F° and night 24c°- 25c° but wha i did About 4 days ago as it did same was undig it and level the substrate again and within an hour ate then it completly buried its self again
    Questions asked in post no. 2 was to check frog was not stressed and buried itself cause of that. Pacman frogs in a too large enclosure can get stressed; hence asking for tank size and frog's body length .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

The tank is a 12"x12"x12" inch my frog is aroun 6cm as i got it as a juvy 5cm+

Nationality
    [United States]

The tank is a 12"x12"x12" inch my frog is aroun 6cm as i got it as a juvy 5cm+
    Tank size is ok. They do this now and them. They do not always leave their head out when they burrow. It is normal. Even if not stressed the frog may do this. Just uncover the frog's head as mentioned and offer food. If the frog is hungry it will eat.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

He seems fine hes pooping in his burrow then moved to the other side i spot cleaned it but yeah i put my fingers in the substrate where my frog wad buired and lifted out of the burrow so hes ontop of the level subrate and filled the hole back in within a minute of distubing him as he digs himself a hole a littlw he eats iv found his liking of eating as iv tryed the dig around his head and it just sits there well to be honest i havent been paceint enough so i just completely dig him out and in progess can spay ground and spot clean if need to

Nationality
    [United States]

Default pacman buried

My guy stays buried most of the time. He comes out for an occasional shed and will uncover his head when he's hungry. Sometimes I scoot him out of his hole, because he is not a fan of moving, if a cricket crawls into the dip and underneath him, he'll just stay sitting on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WorldClassFrogCoddler

I only have the one Pac but he is just the same. He sometimes stays contentedly buried for even 4 or 5 days. I think that they breathe through their skin with the moist cocofiber, but also Bubba likes to keep his eyes and nose above ground sometimes.

He only seems to come topside completely to hunt some crickets or occassionally sit in his water dish for about 14 seconds. Otherwise he likes to stay between 30 to 100% burrowed. If you look it up, many wild frogs of many types like to stay burrowed during drier times and emerge when it gets rainy, so burrowing and being lazy is something many frogs enjoy. Although I think ceratophyrs frogs probably wouldn't stay down for TOO many days unless they're estivating, which I currently know nothing about beyond basics.

Hope some of this helps.

Edit: By the way, SVL means Snout-to-Vent Length, and it's a polite way of saying Nose-to-**** Length, which is the standard way of measuring the length of these frogs. Another thing to know is the distance between the frogs eyes, because until the frog is big enough, that is the size of food to feed it. Although my frog is small and eats like a beast. Good luck!
    Last edited by WorldClassFrogCoddler; February 24th, 2014 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Building International Relationships

WorldClassFrogCoddler

Quote Originally Posted by Beep617 View Post
    My guy stays buried most of the time. He comes out for an occasional shed and will uncover his head when he's hungry. Sometimes I scoot him out of his hole, because he is not a fan of moving
    This should be the first sentence on the Ceratophrys Wikipedia page, haha, perfect description.

These guys just have very firm frog priorities. They come out at night to lurk in the darkness because like most animals, they deep down wish to be ninjas. When slicing and dicing crickets and nightcrawlers gets old, and their bellies are full, they retreat underground, because they don't have any of those cool smoke bombs that ninjas throw around before they fade into the night. Then when they get hungry again, they get their little swords and ninja stars and start setting up their ambushes again. Bugs and small rodents whisper tales of them and shiver.

Thread Information