Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spotted Marsh Frog

Nationality
    [Australia]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Spotted Marsh Frog

Quote Originally Posted by CatherineM View Post
    Jared,

Can you have a quick look at the green frog. Does he look like a brown tree frog to you?
    Yeah I would say it is based on the brown stripe across the eyes, and I have seen them in this variation of colour before.
    ~ Australian frogs Gotta love them

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

taniaaust1

Here's a photo of one of my baby spotted marsh frogs which shows colour better.

Name:  one of my spotted marsh frogs.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  60.1 KB

Nationality
    [Australia]

The Breeder is now saying the "southern brown frog" is a "green tree frog". The frog has been out of the water for three weeks, it is 2.5cm in length. I will post more photos tomorrow. The frog is currently kept room temperature.
    Catherine
    0.0.2 Common Long-necked Tortoise
    0.0.10 Gold fish
    0.0.1 green tree frog
    0.0.5spotted marsh frogs
    2.0.0 kittens
    0.2.0 hens

Nationality
    [Australia]

Quote Originally Posted by CatherineM View Post
    The Breeder is now saying the "southern brown frog" is a "green tree frog". The frog has been out of the water for three weeks, it is 2.5cm in length. I will post more photos tomorrow. The frog is currently kept room temperature.
    The only thing I would say is that a leaf green tree frog would be a possibility but I'd still say its a southern brown, you will eventually know the answer as he grows!

Nationality
    [Australia]

Jared, do you know how fast southern brown grow?
    Catherine
    0.0.10 Gold fish
    0.0.1 green tree frog
    0.0.5spotted marsh frogs
    2.0.0 kittens
    0.2.0 hens

Nationality
    [Australia]

If it is 2.5cm long it's not too far away as they grow to about 4.5 cm long on average but I'm not sure how long that will take.

8. This member thanks Striped marsh for this post:

taniaaust1

I have a question hoping someone(s) can answer.

I have a tabpole which is different in the underside colouring then the rest. It has a silver underside. Do spotted marsh tabpoles ever have silver undersides? Its the same colour elsewhere as my spotted marsh tabpoles thou its also got none of that freckled or dappled look on it yet either.. so is plain in colour (but pretty with its silver underside).

Anyway.. interested to hear any of your marsh tabpoles have silver undersides? or is this likely to be something else thou it blends with other tabpoles I have on the other parts of its body Another kind of marsh frog??? (the two types of frogs I have, I was given from outdoor pond 10 tabpoles which were supposed to be spotted marsh (some certainly are that) and I had 2 tabpoles which I was told were "local marsh frogs" whatever those are.

Silver undersides??

Nationality
    [Australia]

Quote Originally Posted by taniaaust1 View Post
    I have a question hoping someone(s) can answer.

I have a tabpole which is different in the underside colouring then the rest. It has a silver underside. Do spotted marsh tabpoles ever have silver undersides? Its the same colour elsewhere as my spotted marsh tabpoles thou its also got none of that freckled or dappled look on it yet either.. so is plain in colour (but pretty with its silver underside).

Anyway.. interested to hear any of your marsh tabpoles have silver undersides? or is this likely to be something else thou it blends with other tabpoles I have on the other parts of its body Another kind of marsh frog??? (the two types of frogs I have, I was given from outdoor pond 10 tabpoles which were supposed to be spotted marsh (some certainly are that) and I had 2 tabpoles which I was told were "local marsh frogs" whatever those are.

Silver undersides??
    Nothing to be concerned about just colour variations, in my experience with marsh frogs anyway when it morphs you will know for sure what type you have!

taniaaust1

Quote Originally Posted by Striped marsh View Post
    Nothing to be concerned about just colour variations, in my experience with marsh frogs anyway when it morphs you will know for sure what type you have!
    Do you know is there anything which separates out the difference between marsh frogs and other kinds of frogs?

Also Im wondering can one type of marsh frog breed with a different species of marsh frog?

Nationality
    [Australia]

Quote Originally Posted by taniaaust1 View Post
    Do you know is there anything which separates out the difference between marsh frogs and other kinds of frogs?

Also Im wondering can one type of marsh frog breed with a different species of marsh frog?
    The pattern is the thing you will be able to use for identification as with most, check the frog species in your area marsh frogs are different from most Australian frogs so it is pretty obvious when they grow , also there is always a possibility that could happen but it would be rare.

taniaaust1

My best frog pic. so far , here's a photo I took yesterday of one of my baby frogs.. spotted marsh frog I assume, unless someone tells me otherwise... (its still got a wee bit of his tail). Im currently making a bog area for the frogs.

Name:  30 March 2014 frog.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  364.0 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Spotted Marsh Frog

So adorable .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

taniaaust1

Ive been having an exciting time out in the rain lol.

A baby spotted frog in my pond is very hungry. Baby crickets are soo hard to catch in the container and a dead cricket was the result, so I dropped the dead cricket the slab in the pond it front of it (not expecting him to eat it, I thought wild frogs probably eat only moving things). Anyway the bady frog ate it dead off the concrete.

So I dropped some crickets in the water with it.. and it started going after those too.. the baby frog got very excited and me along with it. So I started putting half drowned crickets onto a stick and giving them to him from the stick. He was letting me a hand length from him and then coming to get the crickets. Sadly Im out of crickets now and wont have more for days, so he's now going to have to hunt for bugs out there himself. (this frog has been a frog for just over a week or so and is hanging around in the pond and hasnt moved on like the others do. Im seeing him every 2-3 days).

I'll buy him the next size crickets then. He's almost an itch in size now.

taniaaust1

Maybe this could interest someone. On gumtree, someone is selling an (orange) albino spotted marsh frog for $150 neg. RARE ALBINO SPOTTED MARSH FROG FOR GOOD HOME. | Reptiles & Amphibians | Gumtree Australia Tea Tree Gully Area - Highbury | 1043589088

Makes one wish one had albinos appearing in the pond.

Nationality
    [Australia]

We have finished setting up a second tank today and moved Mr/Mrs Brown to the second tank.

Although it's ok to keep "Southern Brown Frogs" and "Spotted Marsh Frogs" together in the same tank.

It is not ok to keep a "Green Tree Frog" with "Spotted Marsh Frogs".

We have total of 6 Frogs, 5 Spotted Marsh Frogs" and "Green Tree Frog" . The tree has lost the brown stripe.
    Catherine
    0.0.10 Gold fish
    0.0.1 green tree frog
    0.0.5spotted marsh frogs
    2.0.0 kittens
    0.2.0 hens

taniaaust1

A while back, I decided to take two of my spotted marsh tabpoles out of the pond and have them inside so I could experience what it was like to really keep frogs, rather then just having them outside in the pond.

They are both doing well, one should have front legs any day now. One thing Ive found out from doing this is they just love to eat waterlily leaves which are just starting to decay 2 tabpoles are eatting a whole miniture waterlily leaf every 6 days. Im amazed at how fast these tabpoles will eat an actual leaf.

Before this I'd been just giving them some fish food flakes which they never got the grip of sucking in from the surface as they'd previous been feeding from the pond bottom. They werent like my previous ones (now frogs and left the pond) which were got from a pet shop and did know how to eat those from surface of water.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information