Thread: PacMan frog not eating and I've almost given up...

Bor

Default PacMan frog not eating and I've almost given up...

I've had my pac man for about 2 years now, and I gave him only adult mice 1-2 times a month for about 6months which I now know was a HUGE mistake, it's been about a month now and he has barely eaten......I've tried everything... Raised the temperature, made sure there was enough humidity, covered the sides of the tanks. covered the screen top with aluminum for better humidity. Tried to give him Crickets, Nightcrawlers, HornWorms, Waxworms, you name I've tried. He used to be such an aggressive eater and he literally has barely eaten anything in about a month, the last thing he actually ate and swallowed was a nightcrawler about a week ago.. He's fairly large at about 4.5-5inches Snout to vent(Possibly a female) But I am running out of options.. He did have a problem with mites about a month ago but I treated the tank and they're now gone. I've soaked him in warm water a few times, and have yet to see any waste. He still does move around occasionally, an I find that he's completely burrowed a lot.. I don't know what to do and I'm getting very worried about him. I NEED EXPERT ADVICE IM RUNNING OUT OF OPTIONS

HELP!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hypnotic

Default Re: PacMan frog not eating and I've almost given up...

Please fill this out :

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”

The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog
    16. How long have you owned him/her
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    19. How often the frog is handled
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.

Bor

Here is my previous post..

http://www.frogforum.net/pacman-frog...tml#post210189

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotic View Post
    Please fill this out :

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”

The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure ===10 gallons
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences====
    3. Humidity==== 70-90
    4. Temperature==== 75-80
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish===Large Soaking Dish
    6. Materials used for substrate== Eco Earth tropical soil
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.====== No plants wood or artificial décor just soil and water dish
    8. Main food source === Adult mice for 6month 1-2x a month(BIG MISTAKE)
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)==== Not often 3x a month
    10. Lighting===Infared 75watt buld DIMMED down
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure===Heating Mat on side of tank and light
    12. When is the last time he/she ate==== 1 night crawler a week ago
    13. Have you found poop lately ==== no
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog ==== 2 years
    16. How long have you owned him/her=== 2 years
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred ===CB
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    19. How often the frog is handled===Not Often
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area==Yes
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc) === soil cleaned once a month, water daily, misted 2xdaily

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.

Hypnotic

Day time temps should be 82°-84°, night time 80°-75°. I assume you mean a high traffic area? Are 3 sides of the enclosure taped off to reduce stress?
    Also how do you feed her? Just present prey or coax her to bite by rubbing the prey on her lower lip? Is her right side swollen and can you feel a hardness?

Bor

Yes 3 sides are taped off. and I use tongs and that's exactly how I try to feed her, and no I have not noticed swelling

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotic View Post
    Day time temps should be 82°-84°, night time 80°-75°. I assume you mean a high traffic area? Are 3 sides of the enclosure taped off to reduce stress?
    Also how do you feed her? Just present prey or coax her to bite by rubbing the prey on her lower lip? Is her right side swollen and can you feel a hardness?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

What are the current temperature and humidity parameters in your tank? Also, what type of water are you using? What type of water did you mixed the coco substrate with? Thank you !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

cuacuayatl and Carlos are on a good track with the questions.

Also these frogs do slow down during winter.
    My Pepito will only take food once a week for the last month.

I would also feel the side of your frogs stomach and see if there is anything hard lump.
    you won't see it.
    You might just need to give her a warm water soak to help her have a BM.

What I do is take a 9in X 13 in plastic bin and warm up some treated tap water to 80F
    just enough to touch the bottom of the frogs chin. ( you want it to soak not swim.)
    I cover the bin with a towel to keep the heat in and give the frog some privacy and keep it calm.
    I let the frog soak for at least 20min. Now if the frog is really stressed out and splashing a lot then
    take it out.

If the frog doesn't have a bm on the first try don't worry just give it another soak 24hrs later.

Now if that doesn't work then wait another 24hrs. and prepare two baths.
    One with 3 to 4 drops of unflavored honey in the first bath. (if you can't get pure regular honey then one teaspoon of white sugar will do but honey is better.)
    after the first soak for 20 min in the honey/sugar mixture. let the frog soak for a minute in the plain water to rinse off the sugar off it s skin.

that should do the trick.

Nationality
    [United States]

Bori had you noticed anything off with the frog's health? Has their been any diarrhea, vomitting, redness of the toes and stomach, bloating, dry skin causing bad sheds, etc? Any of these signs mean your frog needs to go to a Vet and get checked out. Meds will need to be prescribed.

Also your frog stopped eating before winter set in correct? This is sometimes normal and I say sometimes because if any of the above symptoms are present then it isn't normal. In the winter months they slow down. If you are having difficulty maintaing the temp levels that will keep the frog from returning to its fiesty self. Now when they are in their winter slump there isn't a whole lot you can do to reverse their natural instincts and the frog is able to sense seasonal changes. It is getting close to their breeding season so hopefully your frog will snap out of it soon.

Have you tried pinky mice?

Bor

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Bori had you noticed anything off with the frog's health? Has their been any diarrhea, vomitting, redness of the toes and stomach, bloating, dry skin causing bad sheds, etc? Any of these signs mean your frog needs to go to a Vet and get checked out. Meds will need to be prescribed.

Also your frog stopped eating before winter set in correct? This is sometimes normal and I say sometimes because if any of the above symptoms are present then it isn't normal. In the winter months they slow down. If you are having difficulty maintaing the temp levels that will keep the frog from returning to its fiesty self. Now when they are in their winter slump there isn't a whole lot you can do to reverse their natural instincts and the frog is able to sense seasonal changes. It is getting close to their breeding season so hopefully your frog will snap out of it soon.

Have you tried pinky mice?
    I haven't noticed any of the above symptoms at all, and yes I've tried pinkies, I've tried everything!!! Nothing seems to work and I've tried to force feed him numerous times, but I can't really get his mouth open.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    I haven't noticed any of the above symptoms at all, and yes I've tried pinkies, I've tried everything!!! Nothing seems to work and I've tried to force feed him numerous times, but I can't really get his mouth open.
    Use a plastic spoon turned upside down. If you slide it between their lips and slide it gently across their teeth they normally open right up.

Thread Information