Thread: new to the frog world

Default new to the frog world

hello everyone. i just got 2 young american green tree frogs. i been thinking and planing to get them for almost 6 months. love them and hope to learn the best way to take care of them from your forums. also ask any questions i may have. i did a lot of research on them. from tank size to what to feed them. i belive they are to young now to tell if they are male or female they about half the size of a full adult one probably a inch and a half to 2 inches in size. one is olive green was like that from the time i bought him other is a bright green. i am a bit conflicted in what i read online about there color and if they are sick or not. both eat just fine love there crickets. both is very active at night. i keep the humidity at about 60 to 65. and temperature is about 75 at night to 77 or so during the day. i have live plants so bought a low 13 watt natural light bulb and fixture for the exo terra tank i have. i have the lights setup for a auto 12 hours on 12 hours off timer. the light does bring the temp up a bit 3 degress or so why such a difference between night and day. reason why i choosed the american green tree frogs is first thing i fell in love with them when i saw them. second they seemed more easier to take care off then the red eye tree frogs or posion dart frogs. being my first time keeping frogs i wanted to not get over my head and having to take care of something that would be realy hard.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: new to the frog world

Kudos for doing the research ahead of time! So much better than jumping in without thinking things through all the way!

I am not overly familiar with the American Green tree frogs, but my 4 Red Eye tree frogs vary in color depending on if it is night or day and during he day their color varies based on what they are sleeping on. I have seen them go from Bright green in the daytime to a blueish or purple color. At night they turn dark green so they blend in better in the dark and hunt crickets

I ended up switching form traditional bulbs to LED lights. I had issues with the standard bulbs killing my humidity to much. I also switched from a heat bulb to a Ceramic Heat Emitter. I absolutely love it! Having a variance between your night and day temps is actually better for your frogs. It will simulate the temperature of their environment much more accurately.

thank you for the info. here is a few pictures of them by the way. this is at night i turned the light on just for a sec to take a pick since they were out and about. Name:  IMG_1316.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  80.5 KBName:  IMG_1315.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  76.0 KBName:  IMG_1314.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  72.3 KB

Tongue Flicker

Welcome aboard rokar!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to FF! Your GTFs look nice . Your temperature parameters are fine. If you desire cooler running lights; try to obtain LEDs for plants with color near 6500K.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Flying Dutchman

Welcome, nice GFTs!

Thread Information