Thread: I have fire bellys

tattooed81

Default I have fire bellys

I will have to take Pics of all my friends and post em I love my fire bellys put i have never herd them bark I can`t even get them to do the unmount call

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: I have fire bellys

Really? Mine won't shut up. I thought I had 3 - 2 ratio, but now I think I have a 4 - 1 ratio in favor of males.

tattooed81

I don`t know the sex of my fire bellys is there a way to sex them I would like to know

Jumpshot724

Mine don't shut up either lol. Nah, I'm j/k. It's pretty soothing to fall asleep to at night. I think I have all males though (you'd think out of 7 I'd get at LEAST 1 female ). I've had them for about a year and half but they didn't start calling until I put them into their current vivarium about a year ago. Now it's every single night lol.

Wish I had a girl to breed them....

As far as sexing, you can look for nuptial pads which are black bumps on the inside of the Male's front legs (but those are very hard to find). Also, only Males mount other toads so there's a good indication. Some people say they can tell by the shape of the head, arms, body, or even the webbing on their feet but I can't help you there.

Han

Webbing between the toes: male above, female below
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Jumpshot724

Are you sure Han?? All mine look like the bottom one, yet they call and mount each other all the time....

Han

Hi

Although the hindlegs are Bombina maxima legs, i'm sure the same
    difference comes for Bombina orientalis, but (wellfed) adults only. During this season the nuptial pads on the fore-arms of the males are very clear. The webbing thing is an easy to spot
    difference, in general the males are bigger and more robust, hindlegs longer and far more musceled. Females also do call, btw.

Han
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Han View Post
    Females also do call, btw.
    Really? This I did not know. I know that both genders of Xenopus laevis call, but I did not know this of Bombina

Thread Information