Thread: Are american bullfrogs a risk to your other frogs.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Question Are american bullfrogs a risk to your other frogs.

wouldn't it be a bad idea to own American bullfrogs if you keep other frogs? I thought about getting some tads or even those nice albinos online but can someone tell me if there a risk that my other frogs could contract the chytrid fungus. Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Randy

Default Re: Are american bullfrogs a risk to your other frogs.

Wow there certainly is a lot of concern about chytrid fungus .Always quarantine newcomers and always wash your hands well between handling.I house wild caught toads leopard frogs and store bought pacmans . i did have 2 large lake caught american bullfrogs .The bullfrogs seemed unhappy though so I let them go back into the lake .(took me an hour to catch them buggers lol only to end up letting them go but i thought it was the right thing as they were sacred and noticeably uncomfortable in captivity.) Red leg doesn't jump from 1 tank to another it comes from contact.B. dendrobatidis is a waterborne pathogen that disperses zoospores into the environment.[11] The zoospores use flagella for locomotion through water systems until it reaches a new host and enter cutaneously.[9] B. dendrobatidis’ life cycle continues until new zoospores are produced from the zoosporangium and exit to the environment or reinfect the same host.[9] Once the host is infected with B. dendrobatidis it can potentially develop chytridiomycosis, but not all infected hosts will develop chytridiomycosis.[9] Other forms of transmission are currently unknown; however, it is postulated that chytridiomycosis can be transmitted by B. dendrobatidis through direct contact of hosts or through an intermediate host.[9]Much of how B. dendrobatidis is successfully transmitted from one host to the next is largely unknown.[12] Research has found that once released into the aquatic environment, zoospores traveled less than 2 cm within 24 hours before they encysted.[13] The limited range of B. dendrobatidis zoospores suggest that there is some unknown mechanism by which they transmit from one host to the next.[13] Abiotic factors such as temperature, pH level, and nutrient levels affect the success of B. dendrobatidis zoospores.[13] B. dendrobatidis zoospores can survive within a temperature range of 4-25 °C and within a pH range of 6-7.[13]Chytridiomycosis is believed to adhere to the following course: zoospores first encounter amphibian skin and quickly give rise to sporangia, which produce new zoospores.[14] The disease then progresses as these new zoospores reinfect the host. Morphological changes in amphibians infected with the fungus include a reddening of the ventral skin, convulsions with extension of hind limbs, accumulations of sloughed skin over the body, sloughing of the superficialepidermis of the feet and other areas, slight roughening of the surface with minute skin tags, and occasional small ulcers or hemorrhage. Behavioral changes can include lethargy, a failure to seek shelter, a failure to flee, a loss ofrighting reflex, and abnormal posture (e.g. sitting with the hind legs away from the body).[15]

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quarantine any new frog for 30 days and do not share anything between enclosures. Also, always wash hands with hot water and soap between enclosure work as Randy stated. The chances CBB Albino Bullfrog tadpoles bought online have Chytrid is very small to inexistent. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [Canada]

thanks for the replies. I was just watching a clip about these guys that where treating chytrid in the jungle to save glass frogs and golden frogs, they were using a solution to kill the fungus on the frogs skin.

Thread Information