Thread: Help with something strange

BerDip

Default Help with something strange

Unfortunately, one of my american toads has died in a very strange way and i'm trying to figure out the cause. She came up from hibernation and started acting weird. She wouldn't eat. She would try to get through the glass to a lamp sitting next to the cage. She seemed to be getting frustrated and kept bobbing displaying the push up defensive posturing. However, being in a low traffic area and with no disturbances she continued to bob, wouldn't stop no matter what. I had been observing from a distance so she did not see me, so there was no way she was perceiving me as a threat.
    Seeing this, I figured she was trying to get to a warmer area and moved her into a warmer quarantine tank to heat her up in an attempt to increase her metabolism so she would try to eat. She had lost about half her mass from when she went under ground. So, she was put in the tank, three sides covered, dark, temp increase from 75-77 to 80-82, humidity spike, crickets, water bowl in addition to moist jungle dirt. This happened around 7-8 in the evening. After she was placed in the quarantine tank she continued to bob, wouldn't attempt to hide or dig, wouldn't soak, wouldn't eat. In the morning she was dead. She was sitting in a normal position, however, she was so stressed she excreted pus all over herself. I have no idea what could have caused this. I've had this toad for about a yr with no problems. She was very large and never showed any sort of aggressive or defensive posturing before this incident. I can only hypothesize that her hibernation was distorted being that this was her first hibernation in captivity. Other than that i have no clues to go off of. I would appreciate any help with identifying what could have caused this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

BerDip

Default Re: Help with something strange

Name:  IMG_0383.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  88.2 KBName:  IMG_0384.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  135.9 KB

Here is the tank setup

BerDip

Any body have any ideas?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

The ONLY thing I can think of is maybe she swallowed a stone and was impacted. Other than that I'm clueless. I also lost a toad of three years after he came up from hibernation. Last year I lost a female due to being egg bound.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

BerDip

And there hasn't been any studied "noted" links to disturbed hibernation causing these issues? Thats my best guess because she didn't eat any stones. I would have thought there would be more info and studies on something like that.

Thread Information