Thread: does noisy filtration really matter? also, egg laying.

maky78

Default does noisy filtration really matter? also, egg laying.

I just bought an internal whisper filter that is a lot noisier than I expected/hoped. Is the common saying that ACFs don't like loud filtration true? It is a bit annoying for ME, but I don't know how to know whether or not the frog is upset about it... It is a whisper 40i. I have used smaller whispers and they are dead silent, so I was shocked to have a really noisy one. I fiddled with the impeller a bit, so it isn't a terrible clanking or anything -- but it is not dead silent either. Problem? Not a problem? Frog seems to not care that much... she gets startled and freaks out if I accidentally hit the tank or something, but if I plug in the filter she doesn't react, but I'm nervous after hearing stuff about not liking noisy water. As a consolation I have put it on a timer to be off during the night, which might assuage it a bit...

Another this is that my frog is by herself, but lays a ton of eggs. Should I have had a male also, theoretically I could have had like 100s of babies by now. Today I look in and for the second time this week there are eggs everywhere. Should take this as a sign that I'm doing something right? Like she is happy enough to lay tons of eggs? Or is it just a thing that happens? Or is it a weird or bad thing?

Thanks!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: does noisy filtration really matter? also, egg laying.

Your frog will probably survive okay with the filter but whether the noise and vibration are desirable is really a matter for personal judgement. Filters containing a motorised pump are designed principally for use in fish aquaria and most fish originate from rivers and streams with strong water currents. Xenopus frogs, however, originate from pools where the water's still or very slow-moving. You say that the noise annoys you, which I can understand and which, together with your concern for the frog's welfare, suggests that it would probably be a good idea to consider using a less powerful filter.

Solitary females do sometimes expel eggs. In my experience it always happened in spring time (around April) when hours of daylight started getting longer and air temperatures a little warmer, which is in tune with the seasonal influences of the climate from which these frogs originate. Egg production is usually an indicator of good health and nothing to be concerned about.

Thread Information