Thread: Need advice on proper setup for Pacman frog

ToadsNfrogs4me

Default Need advice on proper setup for Pacman frog

I just got my first Pacman frog and am reading so much conflicting information on how to best care for her. Some say humidity isn't important as long as they have water they can get into, others say to maintain a high humidity level. The substrate is always moist, and I have and Exoterra medium water fall in the tank, but the humidity level stays low despite twice daily misting, should I be worried? How can I increase humidity?

Also how often should I be feeding her? I was old twice a day when I got her, but online I'm reading everything from that to only once every 2-3 days. She had only been offered crickets, but happily accepted pinkie mice from me. I'm also going to introduce Dubias soon.

Anything else I should know? I want to give all my babies the best care possible

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Need advice on proper setup for Pacman frog

Humidity should be between 70-80%. Substrate should be mixed with dechlorinated tap water until damp and clumps in fist but does not drip water out. You can increase humidity by using aluminum foil to block off the screen mesh on enclosure top. Normally I just leave a 1 in. gap around the light fixture or so. Blocking top will also help keep heat in. For babies you want 82F and adults can handle 82-84F day temps. That can drop a few degrees at night. A digital thermometer and hygrometer should help you dial parameters right.

Babies get fed once a day; usually 30 minutes after sunset or early in the morning. Continue that until frog reaches around 3 in and you notice a decreased feeding response. Then feed every other day. Continue so and adjust as required according to feeding response. A full grown can be fed every couple days. Night crawlers (not dyed) are the best food (available at Walmart and bait shops). Might need to cut from pointy end into mouth size chunks for babies and body length for juvies. At around 2.5 to 3 in. most Pacmans can handle whole ones. Crickets and roaches can be same size as distance between frogs eyes. Gut load crickets with carrots, lettuce, cherios and oats for 24 to 48 hours before feeding to frog. Do not feed mice more than once a month and avoid feeding large mammals in relation to frog's size. Dust food with CA/D3 and vitamins; here is a guide you can use: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html.

Hope this helps debunk the conflicting information from unknowing pet shop employees or Youtube inexperts ! Here is some more good info for you to read:
    Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

4. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

ToadsNfrogs4me

I have the top covered and mist twice a day but still can't get the humidity that high. The temp is about right, I alternate day and night bulbs so it's slightly cooler at night, but humidity is only about 40%

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

What gauge are you measuring your humidity with?
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

ToadsNfrogs4me

It's a duo Exoterra thermometer and hygrometer

Nationality
    [United States]

plastic tubs hold humdity the best. a small under heat pad works well to add gradual heat set at 78 and that gives me 80% humidity in my tubs..the more differnt feeders the better, feed daily till 8 months then twice aweek ,at 18 months feed once a month..sometimes they eat normally sometimes they skip a day or two..i feed mine crickets,worms and fish.im not going to feed mice untill 8 months or so.cuz their very high in fat .that is basic pacman set up ,u can add a plastic leaf or two to help them feel safe

Thread Information