Thread: Dying Toad? Please help!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Unhappy Dying Toad? Please help!

Lately, during the winter, (I'm in Illinois and it's been really cold out here) Lola, my American Toad, has been acting very strangely. I started to notice that she began moving very slowly, and couldn't jump very far. It seemed like her bag legs are broken. Now, just starting this week, she has been in her burrow ever since monday. When I coax her out to eat, she just sits there, and does not except her food. She gets scared by her food, her tries to get it, and then retreats to her flower pot. Her eyes are clear, her water is almost all of the time de-chlorinated (It wasn't de chlorinated for about 3 days) I am so scared I've had my toad for 3 years now, and I don't want to loose her. Is she just trying to hibernate because of the cold?
    "Look on the wall behind you. Look at that little girl's face. I know you've seen it. But you know what she's never going to be able to see? She's never going to be able to see the simple wonder of a leaf in her hand. Because there's not going to be any trees. Now you think about that."
    R.I.P. Lola
    R.I.P. Bandit

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Xubby

Default Re: Dying Toad? Please help!

I doubt I'll be able to help, but a few questions that might let someone else be able to...

1) Did she soak in the chlorinated water? If so, was her behavior pretty much the same prior? I'm having trouble finding out much about the time frame that it takes for chlorinated water to kill amphibians, but I'm skeptical about it being due to chlorine toxicity.

2) I'm assuming, if you had her this long, the vitamin situation is fine. The symptoms still kind of remind me of what I've read about metabolic bone disease, though. Can you briefly describe what and how often you've been dusting?

3) You keep mentioning the cold. About what temp is her cage? Just curious.

4) How fat is she? Does she still have some fat left on her, or is she pretty much wasted away with a clearly visible pelvis? This isn't really a symptom, but if she is pretty wasted, more dire action like force feeding may end up being necessary. If she's a fat little thing, it can wait a while.

I feel obligated to mention people like Dr. Frye (very helpful, talked with him when I was having trouble last year) who will give a free email consultation. He's not legally allowed to give advice if you caught a native species, so you might not mention that if it applies to you. Something to keep in mind. dr.frye.vetatmilan@gmail.com

While you probably know this already, I want to say it to be clear. As the poor girl IS under the weather, avoid bothering her as much as possible, even if you just want to help by giving her food. Only do necessary interactions. The effect stress can have on sick animals, especially small ones, is significant.

For this reason, I wouldn't recommend making a quarantine tank. They're a trade off between sterility and, usually, increased stress. I never saw my poor girl as upset as when I banished her to the 10 gallon hospital tank. They have their uses, but I don't think it would benefit Lola in this particular case.

I hope things improve.

Nationality
    [United States]

My Rufus did the same thing,his back legs seemed kinda stiff and was having a hard time jumping, but he could still crawl, and refused to eat. He went underground for a few weeks, came back up, ate, soaked, pooped, acting normal, and then went back down. Time will tell. I've had them go underground for up to 7 months and they were fine.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Sorry it took so long for me to respond, I've been really stressed out with school, I've had so much work to complete and stuff. But, back to frogs. On closer inspection Lola turned out to look fine. Her eyes are as clear as ever, and she tries to get away from me. She's been burrowed forever, so I'm just taking your advice Gail. I think her legs must be stiff too, and shes probably going into hibernation. Sorry, I didn't answer your questions Xubby. I hardly have anytime anymore, and it's already taking up time to right this. But thanks, I appreciate it very much.
    "Look on the wall behind you. Look at that little girl's face. I know you've seen it. But you know what she's never going to be able to see? She's never going to be able to see the simple wonder of a leaf in her hand. Because there's not going to be any trees. Now you think about that."
    R.I.P. Lola
    R.I.P. Bandit

Xubby

No worries on the questions, it was mostly just me spitballing (probably unlikely) ideas. Glad to hear she seems fine; that's the important thing.

Good luck keeping your head afloat at school.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Glad toadie is OK. It's a challenge to know who's sick and who's hibernating. I have 4 females and a male. The male wants to sleep and everyone else is up and about. I pretty much wake him up due to sanitizing cage & worry. He does eat when I wake him up. But then I had Velvet who stopped eating; was still fat; then had neurological symptoms and died within a few hours. She had just been to the vet within 6 weeks prior! Tricky creatures. What is your toad's name? He or she? I have hillarious pics of mine in the albums.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by sshuman View Post
    ... But then I had Velvet who stopped eating; was still fat; then had neurological symptoms and died within a few hours. She had just been to the vet within 6 weeks prior! Tricky creatures. What is your toad's name? He or she? I have hillarious pics of mine in the albums.
    When taking pics of your toads, recommend ensure surfaces they come in contact with are totally free of chemicals like cleaners, etc. If it happens, such a contact could harm them and even be deadly .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

What is your toad's name? He or she?
    MY toad is a female American Toad and her name is Lola. Here she is: Name:  PIC_0599.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  87.4 KB
    R.I.P. Lola
    R.I.P. Bandit

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Lola's a beauty. Is she up and about or hibernating now? Chortles came up and changed his outfit.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Lola is up and going about her businesses now. Her business being sitting in her flower pot.
    R.I.P. Lola
    R.I.P. Bandit

judymayes

Was wondering if you lay the flowerpot on its side or make hole in side like a doorway ?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I lay it on it's side. Lola went back underground weeks ago. I think this is due to their light above the cage burning out in December. I should probably get a new tank light.
    R.I.P. Lola
    R.I.P. Bandit

Thread Information