Thread: Tong feeding

Default Tong feeding

How the heck do I get my frog to eat from tongs??? I've had him for about 6 month probably and I've been trying to get him to eat from tongs but he's just so afraid of me. All he will eat is crickets and I wanna start feeding him night crawlers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

DesertHeat

Here's a copy paste of a post I wrote in another thread:

I had a similar problem with my albino Fergie. He attacked crickets with gusto, but ignored the tongs and anything the tongs might have been holding. It's taken several months of patience, irritation, more patience, and still more patience but I've finally gotten him tong trained.

I started out by removing Fergie from his enclosure to a feeding enclosure. After a few days letting him happily chase crickets around I began using the tongs to drop crickets in front of him. He didn't much care for the tongs and would back into a corner for a few minutes before going after the crickets.

Several weeks of repeating this each feeding and he began to snap up the crickets as soon as I dropped them from the tongs.

Another few weeks and he began taking crickets from the tongs. Once we hit that milestone I simply held up sections of worm about the same length as Fergie and he snapped them right out of the tongs. Occasionally he isn't as aggressive as that, but a quick rub of the worm on his lower lip and he bites.

Tong training is just like any other training. Baby steps until you get to a repeatable goal. Good luck!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Thread Information