Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OMG! I have a M. Betsileo froglet!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: OMG! I have a M. Betsileo froglet!

Geo,

Do you check the PH level and such of your water area, or do you let it naturally regulate itself?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Also would love to see a picture of your setup if you can and don't mind sharing it

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalPunk View Post
    Also would love to see a picture of your setup if you can and don't mind sharing it
    Geo's Album: My Frogs & their habitat !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Geo

I will take an updated photo of the habitat momentarily but to answer your question - no, at present I do not test the ph level of the lagoon. I use the water from a dehumidifier that I use in the basement that I keep in good shape. As far as I am concerned it is the closest thing to rain water I can get without actually using rainwater (chemicals present). Think about what a dehumidifier does and think about the rain cycle - strong similarities in some ways. Nothing in the habitat has registered that there is any concerns with the water that I top off the tank with.

Now the water that I spray the tank with is different though. It is from a 10 gallon "tannin tank" in which I allow gravel from the beach, twigs, chunks of old wood/forest debris and such "ferment" for lack of a better word. There are also dwarf shrimp in that tank to do some micro-managing. I fill a small spray bottle and use it as I need.

I tend to do a mini-cycle of one week of heavy misting and one week of minimal misting and so on. Periodically during one of the heavy misting weeks I will seal the tank to allow minimal evaporation and to push the humidity levels into the mid - high 80s. Then I allow it to drop back down to the mid - low 70s. Keep in mid that the humidity increase also raises the temp a bit but this particular species is hardy to the high temps and are quite active during the heavy misting stage. I process is to simulate a periodic rain shower followed by a minor dry out.

Geo

Nationality
    [United States]

It's beautiful , Geo

Did you find any more froglets?
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Geo

Unfortunately Lynn I haven't been able to locate any others at present. I do believe I know which one may be the mother though. One of the larger frogs has been staying hidden in a tight cave under a log in the back and has been very seldom seen the past month or so. I call her Moca as her bronze/brown coloration is fairly light in comparison to the others. She used to hang out in the front but now when I do the feeding time she just hops out, grabs food and hops right back in. The single froglet is also hanging around outside the log cave so I suspect a connection.

Geo

The two tadpoles appear to be at different stages of development. The one on the right already has its hind legs started and uses them when it is swimming.

Nationality
    [United States]

Awesome Geo thanks for sharing. I would of never considered shrimp for the water janitor job. My head is now crawling with ideas on what I could do... So many ways to do things..... I must get more tanks!

Default OMG! I have a M. Betsileo froglet!

Awesome George. That tank is looking great! What species shrimp are you keeping? I bred them for years and you are correct, they are awesome bottom feeders and are excellent at taking care of detritus.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

Geo are you just using an underwater heater to heat the tank?

Geo

Bill I believe that they were originally cherry shrimp, bumble bee and a green/blue type (cant recall the name) that my wife kept. About 2 years ago she gave me some to add to my african dwarf frogs setup (which I have since given to her) and I let them do their thing. Over time they cross bred and just became a regular greyish looking but very hardy shrimp. Almost nothing can kill these little fellas no matter temperature drop, significant water change and so on. They just keep on breeding and surviving. Probably a great choice for when a kid first starts a small fish tank. Periodically you will see the odd shrimp with a dark blue, a brownish red and so on pop up in the population but they appeared to have gone back to their genetic roots because I didn't keep them in isolated populations. They are excellent scavengers.

Paul the habitat is heated via two sources - the ambient temp of the basement where it is located (tends to be cooler) and the 25watts T8 Sun-Glo light canopy that is on a 12/12 hrs automatic light cycle. Nothing else. When the light goes out the cooler temp of the basement tends to eventually drop the habitats temps down to about 66-68c and when the light is on it hovers around 72-75c. The humidty fluctuates as well with the temp change so in the dark the level of condensation around the island increases and when the light is on the condensation drops and evaporation occurs. I also hand spray to control the humidity depending on what I want going on any given time. A rain system wouldn't be suitable as I find that too much mist locks them in certain behavioral patterns where as a change in routine throughout the week and so on allows for them to change their habits. IE too much heat and humidity and they stay hidden more often to cool down in the damp moss, too cool and they come out to remain alittle more dry and warm. I hope I explained that properly.

Default OMG! I have a M. Betsileo froglet!

Aha, neocaridina sp. Yeah, they revert back to their original genetics if cross bred. I did the same once, threw a bunch of different neo's in a tank and what came out, came out. It wasn't one of my show tanks, I called it the "skittles Frankenstein tank" lol
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

firebelliedtoadz

I love your setup. What size of tank is it?

Geo

Thanks It is a 50 gallon bow front aquarium with full light canopy. I can give the exact measurements tomorrow if you like (measuring tape is out in the shed and there is waaaaaay too much snow for me to venture out to it lol).

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks Geo!

Geo

Well, I got visual confirmation tonight of a second froglet. I'm hoping to get a photo of the two of them together eventually. It made an appearance a short while after I misted the habitat. It's slightly darker in coloration then the first one but quite active. It was hanging around the cave area where I suspect there may have been a clutch of eggs laid but because I am not willing to disturb the habitat it is a guess at present. There are still more tadpoles in the lagoon so crossing fingers and toes.

Geo

Three of the adults made an appearance at the front of the habitat for a lengthy while this evening. One of the females, who resides in the right side of the habitat to the back, appears to be gravid and was being persistently pursued by a much smaller male chirping, displaying his vocal sac, and of course countless attempts to mount her. Her stomach is so round that the neon blue/white belly markings are starting to show along the side of the body. It seems I may have another chance at another cluster of eggs being laid in the near future. from what I can tell this may be the third as Mocha and another female are no longer gravid as they were previously and I have froglets on the island and groups of tadpoles in various stages of development.

I've decided that I am going to up the anty a bit by simulating nature in another way. I am going to be adding a small neon blue led fixture above and outside the habitat to time with the moon cycle here so that whenever the moon is out in real time, magnetic effects and so on, that the neon blue light will simulate, in time, the moon's presence.

I have also made a "wind machine" to simulate a light breeze in the habitat that I will try to find a way to place on an automatic timer that will activate it in a random fashion. I designed it from a small usb keyboard vacuum in which I dismantled and reversed the fan direction and added a lengthy tube. I have a few other ideas that I am working on as well. More to follow.

Geo

The DIY "breeze machine" that I made for the mantella habitat should anyone be interested. It is a modified usb keyboard vacuum. Not hard to make, just dismantled the vacuum and reverse the fan direction/flow. Eezy breezy.

Nationality
    [United States]

Awesome ideas Geo! My Natural build is still in the works. The rock purchase drained my tank funds for a bit, but I am in the process of testing some ideas for it as well. Will update my thread if any of them work out.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information