Thread: Getting a pacman :D

Skelly98

Default Getting a pacman :D

Alright, so I'm going to an expo febuary 2nd, and i was thinking about a pacman frog. I've kept reptiles since i was a little kid (now a teen), and with all of them thriving (my axolotls even bred....), I was thinking about a pacman frog? I love pacmans, and i know what to expect from one (a frog who does not move much, but is very pretty and eats a lot). I've got tonnes of extra aquariums, tubs, exo-terras, etc. So, of course, I'm doing a little research before hand, and I've got a few questions....

1) Are fantasy frogs hardy? I heard the red ones tend to die for some reason.

2) Are any morph frog healthy? I've also heard that some of the morphs tend to die for some reason, as well.

3) What substrate do i use? I know not to use sphagnum moss because of impaction risk, and for salamanders certain substrates are not used because of their ph values... wondered if the same went for frogs? I was thinking coir of paper towel, could someone give pros and cons of each of them?

4) Where to buy? I don't know of any breeders in my area, but i am going to an expo feb 2nd. Was wondering if there were any "warning signs" Not to buy (aside from lethargy, cloudy eyes, obvious injuries, etc)

5) Food? I feed my axolotls and my salamanders earthworms, as these are considered the ideal food for caudates, and i was wondering if they were perfect for frogs, too?

6) How fat should it be? The ones i see are all really fat, and i was wondering if there was a healthy limit to the size of the frog, or if i could just let it eat and eat and eat? Or if i need to feed at least x ammount of food? Basically, how much should i feed it and how often?

Thank you for your time,

Skelly98

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Skelly98

Oh, and is it really safe to feed mice? My snakes sometimes don't eat their meals, and a way to use those extra fuzzy mice would be awesome?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Getting a pacman :D

Hi Skelly! I went ahead and answered your questions below. This is an excellent care article for your info: Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding. Also, you will need to add food supplements and this should get you started: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html. Hope this helps and good luck !
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelly98 View Post
    1) Are fantasy frogs hardy? I heard the red ones tend to die for some reason.
    Yes they are hardy and I've also read adult reds are uncommon.

2) Are any morph frog healthy? I've also heard that some of the morphs tend to die for some reason, as well.
    Morph color is not related to health unless it's parallel to inbreeding which over 4 or more generations can exponentially increase the presence of bad genes in line.

3) What substrate do i use? I know not to use sphagnum moss because of impaction risk, and for salamanders certain substrates are not used because of their ph values... wondered if the same went for frogs? I was thinking coir of paper towel, could someone give pros and cons of each of them?
    Shredded coco (Plantation Soil or EcoEarth); rehidrate with dechlorinated tap until slightly damp and clumps in fist without dripping water out.

4) Where to buy? I don't know of any breeders in my area, but i am going to an expo feb 2nd. Was wondering if there were any "warning signs" Not to buy (aside from lethargy, cloudy eyes, obvious injuries, etc)
    Known breeders are Josh Frogs; Mike Novy's Phat Frogs; and LLL Reptile. Frog Ranch also breeds frogs but does not retail. Main thing to check is that frog does not has any damaged limbs or is so skinny can observe a protruding backbone between hips.

5) Food? I feed my axolotls and my salamanders earthworms, as these are considered the ideal food for caudates, and i was wondering if they were perfect for frogs, too?
    Earthworms (not including Red Wrigglers) are the best frog meal. You will need to cut them into mouth sized portions for tiny froglets; then into body length portions for bigger (2 in.) ones. Frogs 3 in. and above can handle uncut night crawlers. Other foods are Dubia and other roaches. Can feed mice once a month; but ensure the mice is not too big. A big mammal could rot undigested inside frog and kill it.

6) How fat should it be? The ones i see are all really fat, and i was wondering if there was a healthy limit to the size of the frog, or if i could just let it eat and eat and eat? Or if i need to feed at least x ammount of food? Basically, how much should i feed it and how often?

Pacmans do not overeat. Feed babies daily to satiation. Once it reaches around 3-3.5 in. you will notice a reduced response to food; that is the signal to feed every other day. Full grown adults can be fed every couple days, again to satiation. Some members recommend feed for 15 minutes; but my frogs are full much faster than that. Be aware that mice and other mammals take longer to digest and will need to adjust the feeding schedule accordingly.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Skelly98

Awesome! Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thread Information