Thread: DIY Pacman frog rack with instructions

Treefolk

Default DIY Pacman frog rack with instructions

Hello

I thought I would post how I built my DIY frog rack, along with its costs and compare it to pre-made racks.

First will start off with how I built it, then move on to costs.

I purchased (all at Lowes)

5 - 2'x4' pine 1/4" plyboard
    3 - 2"x2"x8'
    a box of 1 1/4" screws

I had the gentlemen at Lowes do all the cuts because I'm generally not very precise and they have a machine that will do straight cuts with no problems. I had him cut two of 2'x4' into 18"x48" and then had him cut the other two into 16"x24" (which each one cuts perfectly into 3 of these). The last 2'x4' is left as is, as it will be the back to our rack.

I cut the 2"x2" at home into 16" lengths (which turns out to be a perfect 6 for each one. I only needed 14, but its nice to have extra 4 in case something gets messed up.

Now we start by attaching one of the 2"x2"x16" to the 18"W x 48"H that we had cut at Lowes.

We do that with the other 18" x 48" and then attached one of the 24"W x 16"D to the 2"x2"x16". You will notice that there is a 2" gap; this is because it will allow use to run wires and adjust heat tape when the rack is complete (there's a pictures you will see that explains it).

Now we flip it over and get our tubs with lids out. We place 2 extra 2"x2"x16" in the middle so the tubs don't tip into the middle.

We continue building the rack for the rest of the way by stacking the tubs on the previous level, then putting a 24" x 16", then two 2"x2"x16" and screwing them all together. Just to clarify, the 2x2's are attached to the sides of the rack and then then shelves are attached to the 2x2's.

After we do this a bunch of times we have a shelf system that fits our desired tubs exactly (since we used them as the measurement). I decided to make dimensions very easy with very few cuts, so my rack fit 10 - 16qt and 2 - 6qt (shoe box) on the bottom of the rack. The back has not yet been attached in this picture.

Next we take our 2'W x 4'H piece that we did not have altered in any way and we size our piece of 11" THG heat tape.

After that we cut the heat tape. It is very important to not cut it on any of the black stripes (black stripes carry electricity, clear stripes do not).

I choose to tape my heat tape to the board. You can staple in the clear parts of the heat tape, but if you mess up you could damage the heat tape and cause a fire later on. I would recommend using foil tape. I couldn't find mine and just decided to use packing tape because I'm lazy and don't feel like its going to have any adverse affects (however I am not recommending this for you).

Now we attach the back with heat tape to the back of our rack. We screw into the 2"x2"16".

Here we can see down the back on the inside. We left that nice gap so it wouldn't butt up against the heat tape, allows for good air flow and access.

We attach the thermostat.

We feed the temp probe to the very middle rack and place the probe into the coco coir in the back of our tub.

Then we have a finished rack system with uniform heat regulation (there is a 1 degree variance between the lowest and the highest tubs).

Here is the tubs that I used.

Now lets talk costs.

I spent $68 on all the lumber and screws (Lowes).
    I spent $~55 on the tubs (two extras) (Amazon: Amazon.com - Sterilite 16448012 Storage Box, White Lid with See-Through Base, 12-Pack, 16-Quart)
    I already owned the thermostat but it retails on Amazon for $35 (Amazon.com: Hydrofarm MTPRTC Digital Thermostat For Heat Mats: Patio, Lawn & Garden)
    I already had the heat tape. But it cost me ~$20 with shipping and cord attached from Reptile Basics (you have to ask them to attach the cord for you, but no extra fee).

Total = $178

The lowest cost, comparable premade rack is Reptile Basics Iris MCB-S rack wide version (Iris MCB-S Rack Wide Version - Reptile Basics Inc). Great company, great rack, definitely a good value compared to other premades, but at $270 and 2 less tubs, still doesn't compare. Their racks are 10 1/2" x 15 3/4" x 5 1/2", mine are 11 x 16 x 7.

The rack probably took me an hour and a half to build. So, I don't know what you value your time at, but personally its not $60 an hour.

Probably the best part of this rack is that down the road it can house leopard geckos, african fat tailed geckos and baby snakes.

If you have any questions, or I didn't make something very clear, please let me know and I will revise the post.

Thank you

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

firebelliedtoadz

Default Re: DIY Pacman frog rack with instructions

that's awesome! I may need to make one at some point...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Very nice write-up; thanks for taking time to take pictures and posting thread ! Only thing I would add is a waterproof finish like polyurethane to protect wood.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Treefolk

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Very nice write-up; thanks for taking time to take pictures and posting thread ! Only thing I would add is a waterproof finish like polyurethane to protect wood.
    Your welcome.

Others can coat it. I don't see an issue since my lids are always on.

Orchids00001

That's awsome! Can you tell us how you care for your frogs in the racks? Type of substrate? How deep is your substrate? Do you have breather holes in your tubs (photo would be nice)? Do you spray/mist your tubs? Do you permanently house your adult Pacman frogs in these?
    I have snakes and I'm starting to get into these frogs and would love to hear more about how you use your racks - Thanks

I agree with Carlos. I would waterproof it. Even household ambient humidity is going to cause warping on 1/4" plywood.

Excellent project though, thanks for sharing!
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Treefolk

Quote Originally Posted by Orchids00001 View Post
    That's awsome! Can you tell us how you care for your frogs in the racks? Type of substrate? How deep is your substrate? Do you have breather holes in your tubs (photo would be nice)? Do you spray/mist your tubs? Do you permanently house your adult Pacman frogs in these?
    I have snakes and I'm starting to get into these frogs and would love to hear more about how you use your racks - Thanks
    Substrate = coco coir
    Depth = ~1"
    I tried holes but it was keeping the humidity low so I sealed them. You would want to experiment with it yourself.
    My humidity levels seem fine but you might need to mist.
    Yes this is a permenant enclosure.

No, it means what it says, when your DIY turn to omg, pm me. (For help). Not sure how it would be construed as negative.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Orchids00001

Substrate = coco coir
    Depth = ~1"
    I tried holes but it was keeping the humidity low so I sealed them. You would want to experiment with it yourself.
    My humidity levels seem fine but you might need to mist.
    Yes this is a permenant enclosure.
    Thanks for the additional info.!!!!! excellent idea!

Thread Information