Thread: Hello everyone!

FLICKR

Default Hello everyone!

Got some Southern Bell Frogs. Looking for forward to being part of this forum and hopefully my frogs will be all the better for it. Cheers

FLICKR

Default Re: Hello everyone!

I am very new to the Frog seen a would appreciate some tips and ideas for building a terrarium for my Southern Bell froglets. I have a glass tank and would like to know what local materials are used, and what are the best methods used for building terrariums for Southern bell frog. Many thanks in advance.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Hello everyone!

I've never had a Southern Bell Frog, but from what I've read they will enjoy a part land with plants to hide amongst, part pond-like set-up. You'll need a good filter in your land area to prevent waste and ammonia build-up, or a wide bowl in which you can change out the water daily. They like swamps and ponds in nature and they enjoy swimming. From what I can see you'll need a permit to have them if you're in Australia. I would recommend a wide tank to give them lots of space.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Hello everyone!

Btw, welcome to the forum .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello and welcome to FF! Litoria raniformis is an endangered species, so please do check with your local authorities about legal status of keeping them as pets as Heather stated. If OK to keep; would recommend a set-up similar to keeping an American Bullfrog or a Leopard frog. Because Southern Bell frogs can reach 10 cm; think a 40B tank or an ExoTerra Large Wide would be the smallest would consider. Since they are active frogs a full grown one could use all of a 75G easily.

Would divide the tank around 1/4-1/3 dry and the rest would be water. For the amount of water involved, a large aquarium canister filter is recommended. To divide dry and wet areas you can use a custom cut glass panel siliconed to tank to create a water proof dam between 2 areas or can create a false bottom under the dry area to raise it above the maximum water level. No matter which way you go; the dry substrate area must remain dry or it will turn into a bog and rot creating a cesspool for bacteria.

Although the below drawing shows a different land to water ratio (you need the oposite) it will give you another idea of how to raise the soil/shredded coco substrate above water level (drawing courtesy of John).

Name:  john-albums-dart-frog-terrarium-habitat-picture4019-water-added-terrarium-now-ready-planted.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  62.1 KB

If you visit the Vivarium section can check out different builds to get ideas on how to do yours. Finally would recommend you also use a low UVB type bulb (either 2.0 or 5.0). These frogs are day active and bask in the sun; so that may be beneficial to them. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

6. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

FLICKR

Thanks Heather and Carlos for your advice.

N3XU5

Quote Originally Posted by FLICKR View Post
    Got some Southern Bell Frogs. Looking for forward to being part of this forum and hopefully my frogs will be all the better for it. Cheers
    Welcome to frog forums!

Nationality
    [Australia]

It's a beautiful frog, we know it as the Growling Grass frog.

I don't think you need a permit to keep non native frogs in New Zealand.

FLICKR

Hi Catherine, No we don't need a permit here is New Zealand for them. They are very cool Frogs.

Nationality
    [Australia]

They do look good. My daughter really likes the look of the Green Tree Frog.

We end getting southern brown tree and spotted grass tadpoles. We now have one little brown tree frog.

Thread Information