Thread: Is this wood safe for red eye tree frogs?

firebelliedtoadz

Default Is this wood safe for red eye tree frogs?

This weird piece of wood came with one of my tarantulas, I was wondering if it would be safe for my retf if I clean it really well?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxb...it?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxb...it?usp=sharing

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

firebelliedtoadz

Default Re: Is this wood safe for red eye tree frogs?

What is a good substrate I can get at petco or petsmart or a mix I can make for growing plants? The retf enclosure is a 12"x 12"x18" exo terra. I'm going in to town tomorrow and i'm trying to figure out what I need. Do I need to buy some vines for my retf, or is live plants like pothos good enough? Can I use sphagnum moss to cover the substrate or is leaf litter better? What could i use to stop my fire bellied toads from dragging eco earth into their water? sphagnum moss, live moss, leaf litter or??

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by firebelliedtoadz View Post
    What is a good substrate I can get at petco or petsmart or a mix I can make for growing plants? The retf enclosure is a 12"x 12"x18" exo terra. I'm going in to town tomorrow and i'm trying to figure out what I need. Do I need to buy some vines for my retf, or is live plants like pothos good enough? Can I use sphagnum moss to cover the substrate or is leaf litter better? What could i use to stop my fire bellied toads from dragging eco earth into their water? sphagnum moss, live moss, leaf litter or??
    I am not able to view your photo link. Good wood is smooth pieces of Maponi wood. All wood needs to be rinsed thoroughly and baked in the oven at 225-250'F for at least 30 minutes to kill and bacteria, viruses, parasites and spores. I am extra pre-cautious, so I also do a pre bleach soak of 90% water and 10% bleach and soak for a half hour. Rinse thoroughly. Then soak again in a mixture of water and 4x the amount of dechlorinator. After that I bake mine for an hour. Extra clean and safe . A bit overdone, but I've never had any problems with this method.

Red eyed tree frogs really need 10 gallons of space per frog. The 12x12x18" is too small for even one really. A better tank would be an 18x18x24". They need climbing space to be happy and healthy. Think "tree" canopy frogs. They live amongst the leaf canopies of the trees in nature. They will stress if they cannot climb high. Pothos, Chinese evergreens, philodendrons... Tall, large-leafed plants. The plants need to be rinsed of all soil, pesticides and fertilizers. I give mine a brief 10% bleach dip followed by an extra dechlorinated water dip. I then plant mine in smooth-edged, safe pots. I plant in ABG mix which I get at www.joshsfrogs.com. Smooth, safe, wide vines are also good.

Substrate... Paper towels changed every one to 2 days is the cleanest. If you desire the "dirt" look, then I'd recommend a false, layered, bottom with ABG mix on top. Then some leaf litter. Loose moss is bad. All moss-type plants should be attached to something. Loose moss can be accidentally ingested when hunting their prey. Bad thing is, moss, rocks, gravel and anything small like that can cause intestinal obstruction or impaction which is most often fatal. If you use moss I'd use leaf litter on top because they are not fond of substrate on their sticky toes. It makes it tough to get a good sticky seal for them to climb.

Tree frogs fed over loose substrates can be safely fed in glass or ceramic bowls measuring at least 1 1/2" tall sides. They will learn to come to the feeding bowl for food. Rinse the bowl out daily with hot water and dry with a paper towel. Then count and add fresh crickets each night. During the day keep the crickets in some kind of keeper to gut load.

In reading the post, I'm not sure which species you'll be getting for sure, red-eyes or fire belly toads, but hopefully not both for the same enclosure. Fire belly toads will definitely make red-eyes sick. Fire bellies secrete a toxin, while is fine for you and I so long as we wash our hands, but most definitely will slowly kill any red-eyes. Keep only same species frogs together. Firebellies also like a half water / land vivarium vs a tree- like set-up. different needs for each species.

I recommend a quarantine time for each frog separately in a quarantine tank to monitor their health for at least 30 days. You'll want to do this to prevent disease to each frog. This will allow you to monitor their eating, pooping, behaviors, etc. it will also prevent you from having to tear down your nice vivarium due to illness. It's a great precaution that has saved several members heartache and money loss. It's easy to do... tank, lid, paper towel substrate changed every one to two days, shallow water bowl with dechlorinated water (changed daily), properly prepared plant to hide in such as a pothos vine, thermometer gauge, humidity gauge, cover back and two sides of tank walls with a nice background cover to help them feel safe and secure.

Please feel free to add any questions. Which ever frog you choose, I'm sure you'll enjoy them . We'll be here to help you keep them happy and healthy so you can enjoy them vs. stress over illness. It's easy to do if you follow the proper steps .

We also have some great care sheets when you decide which species you'd like for sure .

I hope this helps
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Oh... just wanted to mention, if your near a Petco store, they're having their $1 per gallon sale on tanks sizes 10 gallon to 55 gallon. Not really tall enough for red-eyes, but great for fire bellies. Great money saver, depending on which you'd like .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello! Photo links appear broken to me too. You got a great response from Heather; here is some more information on the species you mentioned: Frog Forum - Red-Eyed Leaf Frog/Red Eyed Tree Frog Care - Agalychnis callidryas and Frog Forum - Fire-Bellied Toad Care and Breeding - Bombina orientalis and relatives. Enjoy your reading and good luck !
    Last edited by flybyferns; January 24th, 2014 at 04:53 AM.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

7. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

firebelliedtoadz

Hi guys, let me clarify on some things, it was late and my brain was shutting down. The exo terra is a temporary set up for my retf till I get my curio done for him. I will be buying him some friends also. I have had him since October and he has really gotten comfortable this last month, eating all the time more active.

The fire bellies and retf are not living together! I have 4 fire bellies in a 29 gal with pothos and a large filtered water area. They bark everynignt. I was wondering what I could use to stop them dragging Eco earth into the water?

well I will just forget this piece of wood, it had a couple spots that may be rough, so I will just use it for tarantulas.

Hope that clears everything up.

Nationality
    [United States]

Phew! That's better . Sorry for the misunderstanding.

You can try leaf litter for your fire bellies. They might move it around though.

firebelliedtoadz

I am thinkinf about doing this? is $25.99 a good price? New England Herpetoculture LLC - Substrate - Vivarium shipping is $7 which would be better their substrate mix or the abg? what about their drainage layer or leca? Thanks for all the help.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by firebelliedtoadz View Post
    I am thinkinf about doing this? is $25.99 a good price? New England Herpetoculture LLC - Substrate - Vivarium shipping is $7 which would be better their substrate mix or the abg? what about their drainage layer or leca? Thanks for all the help.
    If you want to get all the products in those kits; can probably save some money by buying them together. Josh Frogs also sells kits for the common ExoTerra sizes that can include even the plants. Another option is to buy some of the products in hardware stores, garden, or hydroponics stores. You might need to purchase larger portions but will save $ doing so. For example, lecca is very affordable in gardens and lava rock (substitute) is available at hardware stores for a fraction of the lecca pet shop price.

Recommend you spend some time in the vivarium section and look at the builds (Bill AKA Deranged Chipmunk has good ones) in there to get ideas. Another option to a drainage layer is to use a false bottom made with plastic egg crate material .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

There really is no way to keep them from tracking substrate into the water. That's like going to the beach and not tracking sand into the water with you. It's natural. You can try building a break between them with stones or some similar material, but they will still get substrate in the water. That's why I use aquatic substrates in my paludariums, the substrate blends in.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

You could boil it for ahile..that would clean it properly for frog useage

Thread Information