Thread: A warning to those who use paper towel for substrate with baby frogs :(

Lil Krystal

Default A warning to those who use paper towel for substrate with baby frogs :(

I am new to frogs and I had 3 baby green tree frogs. I was told I can use paper towel on the flooring of my tank. I made sure all the paper towel was perfectly flat and fitted in my tank.
    I went to feed my frogs one afternoon and couldn't find one. I paniced and thought he had escaped. after pulling everything out of the tank I found him dead under the paper towel So just a warning to make sure if you have little frogs they can't get under the paper towel or they may get stuck and die.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Paul Rust

Default Re: A warning to those who use paper towel for substrate with baby frogs :(

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Krystal View Post
    I am new to frogs and I had 3 baby green tree frogs. I was told I can use paper towel on the flooring of my tank. I made sure all the paper towel was perfectly flat and fitted in my tank.
    I went to feed my frogs one afternoon and couldn't find one. I paniced and thought he had escaped. after pulling everything out of the tank I found him dead under the paper towel So just a warning to make sure if you have little frogs they can't get under the paper towel or they may get stuck and die.

I am very sorry to hear this. What likely happenned is the frog was ill and hid under the towel where he expired. I rather doubt he got stuck. In either case I'm sorry for your loss.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: A warning to those who use paper towel for substrate with baby frogs :(

Im so sorry for your loss.

fruggit

sorry for your loss im new to frogs too they say its harder to keep baby frogs!

scribbles

Quote Originally Posted by NW Amphibian Rescue View Post
    I am very sorry to hear this. What likely happenned is the frog was ill and hid under the towel where he expired. I rather doubt he got stuck. In either case I'm sorry for your loss.
    I second this. I'm sorry for your loss.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Sorry for your loss. I've never had this happen when using paper towel, so I suspect Paul is on to something.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

I agree with Paul's assumtion and I am sorry for your loss.

Lil Krystal

Quote Originally Posted by NW Amphibian Rescue View Post
    Poor thing

Its so weird cause out of my 3 babies I thought he was the strongest/healthiest. He was so quick and greedy, he would eat all the crickets before the other two had a chance haha. I had to monitor it and take him out sometimes to make sure the other 2 were getting a decent feed.

When I found him he was all flat and dried out. so that's why I assumed he couldn't get out and the paper towel absorbed all his moisture :S I felt so bad I was even considering giving the other two back to the person I received them off but I couldn't part with them.

Lil Krystal

Quote Originally Posted by fruggit View Post
    sorry for your loss im new to frogs too they say its harder to keep baby frogs!
    Yeah a friend of mine got 10 tiny baby green try frogs and she said a lot of them died So she gave them back to the breeder she got them off. When they grow bigger she said she will get one or two.

Lil Krystal

RIP Jocky !

Thread Information