Thread: Fungus problem

Mihajlooo

Default Fungus problem

N my terrarium, there is no animals, only some plants. There is only a little probmel, fungis started to grow... They are in terrarium one day, and than disappear. Can I spray the terrarium with some fungicide? And there are some mites. With what can I treat them?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Paul Rust

Default Re: Fungus problem

Fungus is not a problem. It will come and go as your vivarium ages. It won't hurt anything and you probably can't get rid of it anyway. Put a culture of springtails in there and they will love you for it, they eat dying plant matter.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Depending on what you have in the terrarium, fungus can be a transient or an ongoing problem. For example, in my dart frog terraria I use manzanita wood, ghost wood and malaysian drift wood because they are robust, last a long time, and they usually only fungus once (in the weeks after the terrarium is set up) and then never again. Wood like "grape wood" sold in the US for terrariums will fungus over and over again and doesn't last as long as other woods in a humid terrarium. I've never had a problem with fungus/mould affecting my frogs so I wouldn't try to spray for it, just make sure you're using the correct "furniture" in the terrarium.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Mihajlooo

I know that for frogs, fungus can be a problem. I don't have frogs in terrarium right now but for a few mounts, I would like to have some.

Paul Rust

Most of the fungus that I get is in my very humid Dart tanks. It grows and then dies and a few months later it happens again. To me it is just as interesting to watch this cycle as it is to watch my frogs interact. Sometimes when i used to buy dried moss at the pet store it would sprout mushrooms. These never hurt anything either.

Thread Information