Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help.

Ashley Ferree

Default Please help.

Something is terribly wrong with my toads eyes and no vets around here treat them. He came out of a short hibernation and his eyes are sealed shut and look infected. I've tried gently cleaning the dirt and gunk out but I don't want to cause him any pain. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1389966046109.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  62.4 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1389966058580.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  74.2 KB

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ashley Ferree

Geeze!! No one has any advice???

Ashley Ferree

Default Toad emergency!!! Please someone help!

I posted a thread earlier about my sons toad... I'm desperate. He looks terrible and is probably suffering and I dont know what to do. I've called several pet stores as well as vets and there are none within my driving range that can help. The only bit of advice I have got was to remove everything from his tank and put in moist paper towels. It is an american toad that we rescued from our back yard. We have had him around a year now. Last year he didn't hibernate and this year he buried himself around 2 months ago and come out two days ago. His eyes are seeping and have what looks like a yellow pink slime on them. I tried a warm soak and gently tried to wipe some of the goo off around his eyes without stressing him to much. This is the first toad I have ever tried to care for and can't find anyone to help. I fear he has some kind of infection in his eyes and it seems to be getting worse. I am at a loss as to how to help him. Some articles I have found say to use neosporin. But have not found anything specific for the american toad. The man I spoke with from a local pet store said not to use anything but water due to the toad soaking things thru the skin. Please!! Someone help! Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1390024430312.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  62.4 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1390024453838.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  74.2 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Toad emergency!!! Please someone help!

Get a bottle of Melafix, at a local pet store and make him a bath with that, diluting it according g to the directions on the bottle. Don't make it deep enough that he has to swim, about halfway up his chest should be good. It's an antibiotic sold for fish, many people use it to treat the frogs/toads as well. Rinse well with dechlorinated water afterwards. Clean out his tank and use paper towel, set with dechlorinated water as substrate. Give him something non porous to hide under. Clean the tank/hide and water dish daily place fresh paper towels down daily as well. I would be nervous to use neosporin on the eyes so Idk about that one. There is an amphibian vet that will work through email I'll see if I can dig up his information for you, might not be till a little later though. He will advise for free and meds can be purchased through him, I've heard he's a great guy to work with.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

6. This member thanks MatthewM1 for this post:

Ashley Ferree

Omg...thank you so much!! I already moved him into a new tank with paper towels. I've been wiping the ooze from under his eyes twice a day so it doesn't harden. I actually already have the melafix for my fish tank. If you do find that information please let me know. I really appreciate your responding. Thank you so much.

Nationality
    [United States]

http://www.frogforum.net/showthread.php?p=111209

This thread has the vets email in the first post. Always happy to help. Keep us updated on how he's doing.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to FF Ashley! I'm sorry your toad is not well ; went ahead and merged your two threads to avoid confusion. Toad definitely needs a visit to a herp vet. Maybe you can get better locations than previous search using one of these links: Arav; or Herp Vet Connection.

If none of those work for you; please contact Dr. Frye at: Milan Area Animal Hospital, David M. Frye, DVM, Veterinary services in Milan, MI, Home page. He is the veterinary Matthew mentioned and will take email consults and sell you any needed meds.

Last choice is to medicate yourself and would only do that if none of the above work. Be aware that even if you can stop infection; the toad might loose it's eyesight. Although Melafix is a good natural based medication; think a stronger and faster acting antibiotic is required. If you can find Maracyn Plus locally; it's a very effective against both gram + and - bacteria. You can pre-mix around 1 gallon (keep mixed solution in the dark) according to bottle directions with 80F dechlorinated tap water. Use solution for toads bath (chin depth water) morning and night for 20 minutes, to fill his water dish, and to soak the unprinted paper towels used for substrate. While toad is in bath, you can use an eye dropper to gently drip solution over toad's back and eyes. Again; myself rather have you contact a veterinary; but including this treatment here as a last choice scenario. Good luck and please keep us updated .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Ashley Ferree

Update on "frogzilla" the toad. After a soak in melafix he is able to partially open one eye. Open enough you can see the gold pigment in the eye. He's still very lethargic and isn't moving around much. But today he followed me as I moved around the tank like he could see me. Hopefully that's a good sign. When I cleaned the goo from under his eyes it was yellow and pinkish. But a lot came off this time. Doesn't look as swollen. I looked for the mayacin in our pet stores and couldn't find the one that said plus so choose to stay with the melafix. I do have a question about the melafix as I've only used it in my fish tank before. After the soak in the mixed water are you supposed to rinse the toad off or leave him to dry? My husband didn't know and just put him back in the clean tank after the soak last night. Will that hurt him? I also sent an email to the Dr and haven't heard back yet. Also...I already used those links to try and find a herp vet close enuf to drive. I work 12-14 hrs a day 6 days a week only having Sundays to myself which makes travel difficult.

Member needs to set country!

Default Re: Please help.

I don't have any advice for you because I haven't experienced anything like this. I just wanted to tell you how happy I am to hear that he was able to partially open one eye. I love this forum and how people reach out to help each other for the sake of our beloved frog family members. Please keep us updated!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Ferree View Post
    ... I do have a question about the melafix as I've only used it in my fish tank before. After the soak in the mixed water are you supposed to rinse the toad off or leave him to dry? My husband didn't know and just put him back in the clean tank after the soak last night. Will that hurt him? ..
    You do not need to rinse the frog after a Melafix bath Ashley. You can even fill his bath with the solution in case he gets in there too or even use it to dampen unprinted paper towels used as substrate in a hospital like enclosure. Here is a net source for Maracyn Plus; I've ordered from them before and they have excellent service: Bacteria & Fungus Medication: Mardel Maracyn Plus at Foster & Smith Aquatics. Hope frog continues to get better !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Keep us posted,
    you are in good hands with the advise given so far.
    if you can post more pictures of its progress.

keep up the good work.

Ashley Ferree

I am grateful I found this forum. I have a few pics of hope. Things seem to be getting better for the right eye but not so much the left. Fingers crossed maybe he'll open the other soon. His hands and feet are still a little limp but he's been moving around. Any suggestions o. If and what I should feed? I was giving him earth worms and night crawlers before. Three times week.Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1390187726100.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  53.4 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1390187738417.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  56.8 KB

15. This member thanks Ashley Ferree for this post:

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I would try small night crawler pieces to start.

Carlos, What do you think of a peodlyite soak. If it is a bacterial infection I would be kind of cautious of doing so. what do you think.
    At the moment Hope looks like he has some fat so he might be ok for a while with out food.

BTW he looks much better

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Please help.

The pedialyte soak is fine. Do a 1:10 mix of unflavored, clear pedialyte to dechlorinated or distilled water and soak her for 15-20 minutes. Give a brief dip in a regular dechlorinated water bath after to remove any residue.

Will she eat if you gently rub the worm piece across her lips? I'm presuming her vision is very clouded at the present.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Just want to send all my love to your beloved friend.
    And much strength to you to continue your caring for him. <3

Nationality
    [United States]

So are the eyes still improving?
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Ashley Ferree

Quick update. I've been so busy working I haven't had time. "Frogzillas" eyes are not making much progress sad to say. The left eye has opened up a bit more and he seems to be able to see out of it. As he is flinching when he sees a hand or object move close to him. The other eye has also partially opened but I'm fairly certain he will lose it. Its discolored and I can't see any of that gold pigment like the other eye. still not giving up hope tho. Continuing the treatment and hoping for a miracle. Thanks for all the concern. I will continue to make updates as he progresses. Hope to get him to eat something today.

bluesclues

Sorry about the toad- having trouble posting - sorry -

might have additional info or con ft irm details for treatment etc.

oad's
    Not trying to steer anyone away from this site, just trying to help - .. there is a herpetologist who answers quickly at " thatpetplace.com

He has a blog about toads listed under "my amphibian collection"

He tries to help

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Please help.

Yes, Frank is wonderful and is very knowledgeable. Frank is here also. Sending him a message is a good idea.

http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatre.../#.UuXnPqY8LCQ

http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatre.../#.UuXltqY8LCQ

Another good person to contact is Dr.Frye. He is a vet in Michigan who often helps us via email and phone and can send medications in the mail. Send him an email and photo also.

Email:
    dr.frye.vetatmilan@gmail.com

(734) 439-2273

http://milanareaanimalhospital.com/aboutus.html
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Ashley Ferree

Quick update on Frogzilla. He's on the road to recovery. His right eye looks 90% and the left is still around 60%. Will post pics tomorrow. The difference is amazing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information