Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: XL Exo-Terra Build

Riptide

Default XL Exo-Terra Build

Well I finally got the permission to get a larger viv so I picked it up today :-). Since I eventually want this tank to be for Amazon Milk Frogs I decided to go with the 36x18x36 tank. I got the tank used so there is a little cleanup to do but nothing that some vinegar and a little elbow grease can't handle. Along with building this new tank I also have a 40g breeder tank that has been split that I plan on building vivs out of as well so I will be documenting that on this thread as well. These builds are going to take some time to do so I'm probably at least a month out from any planting in these tanks. Without further ado, here are my blank canvases!

The branch in the I pic is one I already had but I am planning on using it to be a focal point in this new build.

The split 40B

I'm sure I'll have tons of questions so thank you all in advance!

2. This member thanks Riptide for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: XL Exo-Terra Build

Super jealous of the Top Exo Terra . Can't wait to see how these progress!

Riptide

First question came up as I'm sitting here at work thinking about how to build this enclosure (i'm sure nobody else do this ), what type of lighting should I use to penetrate a tank this deep? I am using a quad 24" AquaticLife T5HO fixture with Geisemann bulbs on my current viv but that is only 24" tall and I've only seen minimal growth from the plants with that unit. I would really love to go the LED route if possible. I was wondering what the thoughts on a couple of PAR34 bulbs (~6000k) would be? I just thought of this so I will do some searches through the forums for further info but thought I would throw it out there for possible discussion in the mean time.

Nationality
    [United States]

The best plant lighting is around 6500k.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

7. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

Riptide

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    The best plant lighting is around 6500k.
    Easy enough to get

Led would give the best penetration and can be gotten rather cheaply now. I run led's on my 18x18x24 and they are 6700k, but I'm still on the fence about them. I think I would have liked some 3000k and 5000k lenses in there as well. All my other tanks run t5ho fixtures.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Riptide

I have decided not to use the split 40b as my smaller viv and keep it as my aquarium QT tank. Instead of the 40b I will be using an old 29g biocube that I have laying around. This build should start happening pretty quick, I'm hoping to get started on it tonight if possible. I just have to do some minor modifications to the tank and I can get rolling

Riptide

I decided to try conceptualizing what I want the biocube to look like and I came up with this. Thankfully I'm better at building stuff than drawing! You might have to use some imagination here but I think the point comes across.

The gray blotches are supposed to be cork lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nationality
    [United States]

Biocube plan looks good, just make sure the soil is above the highest water level. Any progress on the XL ExoTerra?
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Riptide

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Biocube plan looks good, just make sure the soil is above the highest water level. Any progress on the XL ExoTerra?
    Not really. I have to get the biocube up and going first before I can start tearing down my current enclosure and build the XL. I have started acquiring a lot of the materials I'm going to be needing and will be doing some maintenance work on the tank (silicone, new glass top, etc) pretty soon if that counts as progress. I'm still debating a little on how I want the finished product to look as well. There are tons of amazing setups out there but I don't really want to just replicate someone elses design.

Some of the things i'm thinking about are:
    • water features: They are really nice and all but they can be a fair amount of work. I'm not sure if that is something that I really want to tackle.
    • overall design: I'd debating between a floor up design or a canopy type design (if that makes sense)
    • building materials: I have a fair amount of ecoweb and hygrolon but i'm not sure if I want to use that in this build since to get the most out of it it really needs a drip wall (see comment about water feature even though i'm sure a drip wall is on the easier side), do I want to just go the tried and true GS/titebond route, or possibly a mix of both.

I'm very open to comments or thoughts about this build. I will gladly take all the experience and knowledge that I can get

14. This member thanks Riptide for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

As long as enclosure bottom is waterproof, a pool is easy to design and a small filter can help keep it clean and healthy. Adding waterfalls etc. can complicate plan to headache level. If you are resealing the silicone; need to remove all the old one and clean with acetone (wear breathing protection) before re-glueing, since silicone does not stick to old silicone well.

With that 36 in height you have many design options including both a floor and a canopy design. IRT materials; myself would concentrate on lightweight items due to enclosure size. For example replacing a clay ball layer with sintered glass aquarium media (i.e. Seachem Matrix) or with a dead space can save you some serious weight in such large area .

Riptide

Not a huge update but I'm making progress on the biocube. I should have the background completed tonight then I'll get some glass cut for the lid tomorrow.

1st coat was just TB3 and peat to create a super dark layer.

2nd coat is TB3/coco fiber/sphagnum.

Riptide

yesterday I was able to get the glass cut for the biocube lid so now I will be able to move forward getting it set up a little quicker.

I also received my new Mistking system for the Exo-terra build I'm excited to try this system out, It can't be any louder than my current monsoon system (the thing sounds like a jet engine kicking on) but I'll be exstatic if it ends up being quieter! Anyone have any experiences they want to share about the sound level of the mistkings?

Nationality
    [United States]

I love my Mistking. You can't even hear the pump running when it kicks on! You're going to love it!

background is looking good so far!

Riptide

That's great to hear! I'm looking forward to getting it set up and running!

Thank you I have to add the last coat tonight to patch up a few bare areas then I should be good to let it set for a few days and finish curing. The room the tank is in is a little on the cooler side (~65 degrees) so it's taking a while to cure fully. Hopefully by monday i should be ready to plant it!

Riptide

Updates on the builds (finally!!)

The background on the biocube is completed and the back portion of the lid has been siliconed into place. I also painted the sides of the tank black to help the frogs feel more comfortable. I have a few gaps I need to fill in with glue near the lid so I will do that tomorrow morning. Pics below.

I also got word that Josh's Frogs finally got some amazon milk froglets up for sale so I snagged 3 of them :-D. I'm thinking they will actually be the first inhabitants of the biocube for a little bit while I am completing the Exo-Terra. I can't wait to get them!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
    yesterday I was able to get the glass cut for the biocube lid so now I will be able to move forward getting it set up a little quicker.

I also received my new Mistking system for the Exo-terra build I'm excited to try this system out, It can't be any louder than my current monsoon system (the thing sounds like a jet engine kicking on) but I'll be exstatic if it ends up being quieter! Anyone have any experiences they want to share about the sound level of the mistkings?
    It's not loud. Put the motor on a folded towel
    Keep the tubing from banging/vibrating on the tank/trim .
    Interesting --- I recently purchased three new mist heads---they have a finer spray compared to my older ones.
    You will wonder what you would have done without it !
    Enjoy
    You enclosure looks great?

Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Riptide

I received my amazon milk frogs today!! I love these little guys!

Sent from my GS3 using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

Baby Milk frogs are so cute , congrats!

Riptide

Right now I am keeping them in one of the extra large kritter keeper(14.5 in L x 8.6 in W x 9.6 in H). would it be ok for me to keep them in this container until they get a little bigger? The temp and humidity are holding steady so i'm not worried about those paramenters. I'm thinking they would live in there for no more than a month or two max.

Thoughts?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information