Thread: Hello. I am new and I have a few questions about some White's Tree Frogs.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Hello. I am new and I have a few questions about some White's Tree Frogs.

Hey Guys! I went to the Repticon Reptile show this past weekend and picked up a few (3) WTFs. I put them in an aquarium that we had for now. I thought it would work fine and that I could convert it, but it just isn't going to work. I plan on purchasing an Exo Terra for them. Would an 18x18x24 be big enough, or do I need something bigger? Also, two of the frogs seem like they have been eating fine, but there is a younger skinnier one that I am a little worried about. I did see him eat one cricket while checking on them, but I haven't seen him eat anymore. Also, the crickets were roaming free and hiding in the moss, but now they are in a glass bowl. Hopefully the frogs will find them. I would like to explore my options about building the vivarium. I would like live plants and maybe some running water, I just don't know where to start. I am very handy person, so I think I could handle the foam and the construction of the system. I would also like to explore some different food options to fatten them up and allow them to grow a lot faster. What options? Meal worms, earth worms, pinkys, ??? When can you start to feed them the pinkys? Sorry for all of the random questions. I am sure I will have more follow. Here are some pictures of what we have so far. Also, they are Blue-Eyed WTFs.

Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hello. I am new and I have a few questions about some White's Tree Frogs.

First off remove all of the substrate, it can/will kill your frogs if ingested. If you want to use a substrate, use Eco Earth for the bottom. Second READ THIS Frog Forum - White's Tree Frog Care - Litoria caerulea . As for feeder insects, crickets, turkish or dubia roaches, a few butter or wax worms & you can try earth worms, I've had no luck with that. Try to stay away from the really crunchy bugs, but then I'm over protective and worrry about impaction. Using a bowl is a great way to feed your frogs, and I've found that colored dishes work best since they don't dive into the glass from the outside trying to get their food. And the Corning Ware has the nice little flat handles so they can sit and pick out which one they want. I have 3 in the exo terra 36x36x18 and they use every bit of space.
    Name:  Exo Terra 36x36x18.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  148.6 KB
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Hello. I am new and I have a few questions about some White's Tree Frogs.

Also they are tree frogs, they don't hang out at ground level, they need to climb and be up high to be happy and healthy. They love to tuck behind leaves and bark. I've hung cork bark on the sides of the glass along with fake plants, and they LOVE the Magnaturals. You can get these on Amazon.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello and welcome to FF! Gail got you started well; most important thing now is that you read the linked care article and provide the proper enclosure heat parameter. White tree frogs won't do well if they can't bask on a 85F spot close to the light source. For that they will need branches or ledges to climb on. An 18x18x24 would be minimum size I would consider for one White female or maybe two males (they are smaller) since they are large frogs. If your 3 frogs turn out females; they will be crowded in there.

You can use a glass bowl to feed insects from. Insects should be gut loaded with fresh veggies (carrots, lettuce), veggie fish food flakes, and cherios or oats for 24-48 hours before feeding frogs. And if the little frog will fit inside the bigger frog's mouth, then need to keep separate because it could be eaten. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Gail and Carlos have given you great advice !

If you are unable to get the new substrate (the Eco Earth ) Gail has suggested right away ; yank the substrate and replace it with dampened paper towel.

Water for a soaking dish and the paper towel substrate should be de-chorinated tap only... with a product safe for frogs.

If the one frog is not eating ...separate him a......get him into a smaller temporary tank.
    ...set-up it the same way
    ...there, you will be able to monitor his food intake and poop.

Some information about quarantine:
    http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...uarantine.html

The feeder bowl:
    http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...eder-bowl.html

Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"