Thread: HELP! my new baby red eyed tree frog is not eating!

cdfrogs

Default HELP! my new baby red eyed tree frog is not eating!

Hello everyone. I got my baby lutino red eyed tree frog on Friday and he/she has not eaten. I put three or four crickets in at night in a candle holder that is 2.5 inches tall and has a circumference of 2 inches.The crickets are about half an inch long but some how get out. I know they are not eaten because I see them running around the enclosure. I also put a baby carrot in some times for the crickets but not always, could this be why they escape? The temperature and humidity are both around 70. The enclosure is a 12" x 12" x 18". I use eco earth and have frog moss covering that with an ivory, fake bromeliad and some other big leafed plant. I do use a .5 uvb light by zoo med over top. Also my Red-Eyed Tree Frog does not seem to move at all. He/she did not move all last night and seems to only move in the day occasionally when I am not around. He/she is in my bedroom which is a quit place most of the time.

Someone please help me!!!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: HELP! my new baby red eyed tree frog is not eating!

Your Red-Eyed Leaf Frog will be still and not move at all All day long. Red-Eyed Leaf Frog do not require UVB or any special bulb, but you do want whatever light you are using to be on a timer so it comes on and turns off at the same time each day (I do 7AM - 7PM for mine.

When you first get your Red-Eyed Leaf Frog they will be stressed from the shipment and environment change (especially if they are wild caught). It may take them several days to a week to adjust and settle into a new routine.

You want the temperature for it to be in the high 70's during the day (I run my terrarium at 77 - 78 during the day and let it fall to 73 at night. I use a ceramic heater to regulate the temp so I can heat it up at night without needing to shine a light in the enclosure (Red-Eyed Leaf Frog prefer near to total darkness at night). I use a Zoo Med HydroTherm Controller Amazon.com: Zoo Med HygroTherm Humidity and Temperature Controller: Pet Supplies here is a link to it on amazon. I only use it to control the heater and have the automatic mister on a timer to mist is at intervals throughout the day. The HydroTherm has a night time setting that is controlled by a photo eye. I have the unit pointed at my tank so the light in the tank tells the photo eye what temp settings to regulate.

As for humidity I keep mine around 75%. When I mist it I mist it and it spikes to 75 and then slowly falls over the next 3 to 4 hours down to the high 50% range and then the mister turns back on and mists it back up to 75%. I did this through trial and error. Best thing I tried was to cover 2/3 of the top of the enclosure with a moist towel. I rewet the towel every morning and again at night just before slights out. This helps hold in the humidity at night. Another thing to note (at least in my setup) is the humidity at night will start to climb with the lights out. So I do not mist at all from 7Pm - 7AM . the humidity is usually around the low 70% to high 60% at 7AM when the mister turns back on.

Food - How big is your Red-Eyed Leaf Frog? The crickets shouldn't be any larger than the space between their eyes. If your Red-Eyed Leaf Frog is a baby (around 1inch) than I have read you can feed them fruit flys. You can get those from a local pet store or order them online. I do most of my frog shopping over at Josh's Frogs. Here is a link to their fruit flies. Fruit Flies and Culturing Supplies for Frogs, Reptiles, Amphibians, Invertebrates | Josh's Frogs. Red-Eyed Leaf Frog tend to not over eat so put in what you feel is enough and in the morning once your frog is asleep remove any extra feeders and put them back with the colony. If you are using Crickets you can put a carrot in with the crickets 24 hours prior to feeding them to your frog to gut load them with some yummy vitamin. You should also dust the crickets with vitamin and D3 supplements. Your local pet store and Josh's frogs sale those.

You want to also make sure the substrate isn't something that can cling to your Red-Eyed Leaf Frog skin or is something they could easily swallow. You can either get Leaf liter (also sold at josh's frogs) to cover up the moss, or you could remove the eco earth and just use moist paper towels as a substrate.

Water (for everything other than missing) should be dechlorinated tap water. This can be done by either buying a chemical from the pet store or by sitting tap water out in a bucket for 24 to 48 hours prior to giving to your frogs.

Misting water can be Distilled and is actually best if it is distilled since it won't leave a mineral rescue on the sides of the tank. Never mist directly on your frog. The Red-Eyed Leaf Frog have a membrane type film they get when they sleep to help lock in moisture. Misting them can wash this membrane off and could lead to dehydration. It will also just irritate them.

I think I have covered everything, but in the event I missed something or I wasn't overly clear feel free to ask all the questions you want. I am fairly new to Red-Eyed Leaf Frog myself, but have done more research than I care to admit and have made my fair share of mistakes and learned from them.

<Sorry for any typos I am at work and don't have time to proof read> Welcome to the wonderful world of RETFs!

4. This member thanks DigitalPunk for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Great info by digitalpunk.

I'd only like to add one thing and that's if you have city water, if the water has chloramines or heavy metals, you will need the dechlorinating drops. Chloramines and heavy metals are unable to detoxify or settle out like chlorine can. If unsure, using the dechlorinator won't hurt and can only help.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

cdfrogs

Thank you guys so much for the help! I got two more baby red eyed tree frogs today because when I got my lutino the company I got him/her from sent me a doa baby red eyed tree frog so they sent me a new one and an extra one I have token your advise and going to get some fruit flies for my baby frogs and I was hoping there might be a way to keep them in one spot? Also I do use zoomed reptisafe to clean the water I use. Thank you guys some much for the help

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by cdfrogs View Post
    Thank you guys so much for the help! I got two more baby red eyed tree frogs today because when I got my lutino the company I got him/her from sent me a doa baby red eyed tree frog so they sent me a new one and an extra one I have token your advise and going to get some fruit flies for my baby frogs and I was hoping there might be a way to keep them in one spot? Also I do use zoomed reptisafe to clean the water I use. Thank you guys some much for the help
    Hi
    Welcome to Frog Forum.

Is it possible for you to post a photo ?
    It would be great to see how big the froglet is?

Your baby ( or ANY new frog) needs a separate enclosure ( A QT set-up) as you can monitor the food intake and poop there !

A tiny red eye tree frog could go into a 5-10 gallon set up temporarily.
    Poop = eating

It's enclosure should have plain paper towel substrate dampened with de-chlor water and a small sprig of a safe plant.
    When they are tiny... a water dish is not needed as they will stay hydrated by the dampened paper towel
    and misting the tank ( not the frog). Mist this QT tank ( for a very small froglet ) with de-chlorinated water not distilled.

While in this QT set -up with dampened paper towel bottom, put the crickets right in without a feeding bowl ----for now.

A small red eye tree froglet will be able to eat very small "dusted" crickets. ( dusted w/ a calcium supplement) 3 times a week.

If you want ...you could do both bottom feeding and a bowl ... but the crickets roaming on the bottom will be the ones the frog will eat.Don't use a bowl only. A bowl should have at least a 4-5 " diameter opening...for now. The sides should be tall enough so the cricks don't hop out. Crickets can not climb very smooth surfaces.

You do not want to ration it's food.
    Remove all uneaten cricks the next morning---put them back in the cricket bin to feed.

The p. towels need to be changed at least 3 time a week. Prepare gallons of de-chlor water for yourself ahead of time.

If you cover three sides of the enclosure and keep it completely dark at night the frog will 'come around'.
    Read all available care sheets and maintain temp and humidity needs

Any cleaning ( paper towel change) and removal of crickets should be done when the froget is sleeping ( daylight) as this will reduce stress on the frog. We like them ....but they do not like us . He is scared !

Please keep us posted ..........and ...please.......chime in !!!

Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

8. This member thanks flybyferns for this post:

cdfrogs

Thanks Lynn for the help. The lutino is about 1 inches and the regular ones are a little smaller than that. I'm having a hard time posting picture but I will keep on trying too. I am going to try to get a 5-10 gallon tank today or tomorrow. Is it possible to put flightless fruit flies in there with them? I here that if you put calcium on them that they can not climb the side until they clean themselves off. Thanks again for the help.

cdfrogs

Hey guys I just tried putting in flightless fruit flies today. I put calcium on them but shortly after they started to climb on the glass!!! I hoping they will not climb out but I think they will and it is in my room So I was wondering is there any way to keep them in the tank. Oh also I got a 5.5 gallon today and put them in there with a pothos plant an damp paper towels. Please help!!

cdfrogs

Also I forgot to say that I do have some crickets that are half an inch but I think they are to big for my frogs. Do you guys think I should feed them to my Red-Eyed Tree Frogs that are about an inch or are they to big? Thanks

Nationality
    [United States]

Hey guys I just tried putting in flightless fruit flies today. I put calcium on them but shortly after they started to climb on the glass!!! I hoping they will not climb out but I think they will and it is in my room So I was wondering is there any way to keep them in the tank. Oh also I got a 5.5 gallon today and put them in there with a pothos plant an damp paper towels. Please help!!
    You can put a ladies nylon over the lid. Be sure to secure the lid with screen clamps though.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Also I forgot to say that I do have some crickets that are half an inch but I think they are to big for my frogs. Do you guys think I should feed them to my Red-Eyed Tree Frogs that are about an inch or are they to big? Thanks
    Try the fruit flies until they get a bit bigger. They can eat pinhead crickets, but the 1/2" are a bit too big yet.

cdfrogs

Thanks Heather. I think that they started to eat last night. I saw less fruit flies than what I had put in and I did not see any roaming my room thank goodness. I will keep you guys updated and again thanks every one.

Nationality
    [United States]

Good to hear .

Thread Information