Thread: Identification Confirmation!

bubbles14

Exclamation Identification Confirmation!

Im hoping somebody can help me here. Last week I was given 2 tanks. One Is a 20-25 Gallon & It has
    2 fairly large frogs in it. I asked the person what type they were & all they told me
    was that they called them "Florida Frogs". They didn't know the actual type
    the frogs are. So im hoping someone can tell me because id like to do some
    research & find out a little more about my new buddies!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Identification Confirmation!

They are african clawed frogs or xenopus. they're an invasive species that technically should be killed but they're fairly well established at this point. never release them into the wild.

bubbles14

Post Re: Identification Confirmation!

Quote Originally Posted by herpdoc View Post
    They are african clawed frogs or xenopus. they're an invasive species that technically should be killed but they're fairly well established at this point. never release them into the wild.
    Why should they be killed? Sorry I just want to learn as much about they as I can & this seems like the perfect place to learn.

Nationality
    [United States]

They grow large and are very aggressive eaters. There's 7 or so States in which its actually illegal to keep these.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Xenopus laevis

To be exact

Quote Originally Posted by bubbles14 View Post
    Why should they be killed? Sorry I just want to learn as much about they as I can & this seems like the perfect place to learn.
    sorry if i came off the wrong way. im really not a malicious guy (quite the contrary, im a physician). well if you do come across one and you're in a state that prohibits keeping them, you're kinda in a bind. it technically would be worse to put it back than to keep it (illegal) so I usually just dispatch them. and also since they carry chytrid you should probably put the remains in bleach as well. look at this way, you're probably saving more frogs/amphibians by getting rid of them than by keeping them. same goes for american bullfrogs anywhere other than where they're native. they're probably far worse than xenopus but at least you can eat them.

bubbles14

Post Re: Identification Confirmation!

Quote Originally Posted by herpdoc View Post
    sorry if i came off the wrong way. im really not a malicious guy (quite the contrary, im a physician). well if you do come across one and you're in a state that prohibits keeping them, you're kinda in a bind. it technically would be worse to put it back than to keep it (illegal) so I usually just dispatch them. and also since they carry chytrid you should probably put the remains in bleach as well. look at this way, you're probably saving more frogs/amphibians by getting rid of them than by keeping them. same goes for american bullfrogs anywhere other than where they're native. they're probably far worse than xenopus but at least you can eat them.
    So I Should get rid of them?

So I Should get rid of them?
    well if you're from canada i dont think they will survive if they got outside but they could be harboring chytrid fungus. im not sure about the local laws but technically you could keep them so long as you made sure they didnt get loose, you properly disposed of their waste water (must be bleached), disposed of gloves used in handling in the trash, didn't expose anything they've been in contact with to the outside world. i technically do the same with my frogs (native species) even though im sure they dont have chytrid since they are a susceptible species and are asymptomatic

bubbles14

Well I have a little boy. & if these frogs are in anyway harmful, like if my son would touch them & get sick then I will probably get rid of them. I want a safe pet in my home & ive touched the frogs & been fine, the people who gave them to me handled them & they were fine. The frogs i received are over 15 years old. So i don't think they are all that harmful.

Well I have a little boy. & if these frogs are in anyway harmful, like if my son would touch them & get sick then I will probably get rid of them. I want a safe pet in my home & ive touched the frogs & been fine, the people who gave them to me handled them & they were fine. The frogs i received are over 15 years old. So i don't think they are all that harmful.
    well they wouldnt necessarily make you sick. the chytrid fungus they carry does not cause disease in humans but it's devastating to frogs and that's the real problem. that being said, im sure they also carry pseudomonas, proteus, salmonella, acinetobacter, all sorts of nasty bacteria that could make you sick if you didnt wash your hands, especialy if you have some sort of depressed immune system

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to FF! You can keep them; frogs do not carry parasites that can affect humans. Frogs are look and don't touch type of pets; but if your kid touches the tank's water recommend wash his hands afterwards. All aquariums have bacteria populations in them.

Here is a nice care sheet for ACFs: http://www.frogforum.net/care-sheet-...are-sheet.html .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information