Thread: egg flats that may be unsafe

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Canada]

Default egg flats that may be unsafe

I was given some egg flats by a lady at a breakfast bar near where I work. There was some small drops of yolk on it though, cause the shells were placed back into the flat.
    It has since dried and these flats and I won't need it will not be needed for 4 months.

Is it safe for dubia?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: egg flats that may be unsafe

I would'nt use them in my colony dubia are'nt the cheapest. If your having a hard time finding unused egg flats try cup holders from a fast food place near you i started with cup holders from Mc'Donalds i just asked to buy some from the manager after ordering my food and he just gave me 10 for free then the next time I asked some one at another fast food place. Cup holders work just as good and since you only have to change the cup holders or egg crates once a month or so depending on the size of your colony they last. With cup holders placed flat along with tp and paper towel rolls and my colony bred fine they just need cover for hiding and to feel safe eating and moving from hot to cool sides of your bin. I hope this helps.
    Owner of a Sun Kissed, Samurai Super Apricot Produced by Mike Matson and a Reduced Pattern C. Cranwelli

Nationality
    [United States]

The issue with "dirty" cardboard is that it breeds bacteria and other pathogens. Those could affect your Dubia colony or even be passed to enclosures. Maybe you can talk to lady nicely and ask not to place shells back into egg crates. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I have started using HVAC filters as egg crates in my large colonies in my 25G plastic bins.
    They are really cheap and readily available in just about any size you need them,
    Just don't get the ones that are coated or treated in ay way.
    The least expensive ones are the best.
    and the fiberglass ones won't rot or mold.

Nationality
    [United States]

Also, not to be a running Josh's frog advertiser, but they do sell unused egg flats on their site for .49 cents a piece.

Nationality
    [United States]

Egg Flats may harbor Salmonella and are meant as a one time usage product.

One idea is (depending on volume) to ask local cafes and restaurants to save a day or two or a weeks worth of "Clean flats" they may take care to give you non soiled ones. Some people claim to microwave or low oven cook the flats however I would not recommend this as the flats made from recycled paper can contain bits of metal that may arc in microwave or nylon that may ignite furthermore cooking them long enough to get rid of most bacteria would have to be extended as the trays are rotated and turned and this would be a fire hazard..

Drink holders are decent but I have found roaches prefer the nesting of the tight cups of eggflats and are thus better for producing young so for our Roaches there is nothing better than the large 12x12 eggflats.

Low Cost Eggflats are a find, That being said some unscrupulous sellers online will sell you relatively clean looking but used eggflats.

I know it sucks to find seemingly cheap supplies and then get socked with High shipping charges. Checkout the Reasonable Shipping. Along with Feeder Insects and Supplies Affordable Never Used Clean All Natural Compostable 12x12 EggFlats in Quantities of 1-145
    Last edited by Ash; January 23rd, 2014 at 01:28 PM. Reason: clarity
    Live Feeder Insects That You Need For Your Frogs & Lizards - All Natural Fed & Pre-Loaded With Nutrition
    Starter Colony Kits for Roaches, Crickets, Springtail & Isopods Cultures & More
    We Offer Friendlier Shipping Charges & NOW ALL ORDERS FREE SHIPPiNG over 175.00
    Follow Us on facebook NOW DISCOUNT ON FIRST ORDER AT CHECKOUT www.readyreptilefeeders.com

Thread Information