Thread: Subsrtrate cleaning for live viv

juice

Default Subsrtrate cleaning for live viv

So i have researched this here on FF but unless i'm not using rthe right search strings I'm at a loss.

I plan on converting my exo terra 18x18x24 RETF enclosure from artificial plant life to live. I have a false bottom setup with an every 4 hour misting cycle low uv lighting.
    I plan on using glass bowl feeders going forward as i was not before. My question is do i plant my plants right into the substrate and if so what about my cleaning I can't imagine each time i clean i have to replant or do I? Should i leave the plants in their own planters and just put them in the substrate?

Thank you

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Subsrtrate cleaning for live viv

Hi Juice, Plants can be planted directly into the substrate as long as its not bark or mulch, the plants do best when they are in coconut fiber bedding. Ive maintained a few living terrariums and the easiest thing to do is to introduce micro fauna such as springtails or woodlice. This saves the task of replacing bedding only every six to twelve months!
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

juice

Quote Originally Posted by Bombina Bob View Post
    Hi Juice, Plants can be planted directly into the substrate as long as its not bark or mulch, the plants do best when they are in coconut fiber bedding. Ive maintained a few living terrariums and the easiest thing to do is to introduce micro fauna such as springtails or woodlice. This saves the task of replacing bedding only every six to twelve months!

Ryan thank you for the reply.

Where would one get micro fauna and is it possiblefor it to become an infestation? My wife is a bit ocd with insects and the sort in the house. Can they escape the enclosure? When setting up a live viv I read something that i should cycle before introducing live animals how long should that cycle be or what should I be looking for? Also I keep seening ABG I have no clue what that is

My current setup is a false bottom of 1 inch dead space its created using plastic egg crate wrapped in plastic very small screen. I then put my sub on it. when its time to clean I remove the egg crate sub and all and wipe down the bottom of the tank. would this be a suitable set up for plants?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, I receantly was dealing with an ill retf and decided i wanted to pursue a much more natural enclosure. Before I jump into anything i try and research as much as possible.

Thanks again

Oscar

Nationality
    [United States]

I agree with adding micro fauna. Their are several places online that sell springtail and isopods of different species. Can also add earthworms and roaches which work as great decomposers. I'd go with a bio-active enclosure which along with bugs also has soil natural bacteria that breaks down wast matter and turns it into soil.

Nationality
    [United States]

ABG Atlantic Botanical Garden Substrate is a good substrate, it retains moisture and also promotes drainage and airflow thus preventing stagnation even more than coco husk or coir type substrates. Plant growth is supported as this mix was designed for orchid growth. It is suitable for burrowing. I make a modified mixture from, tree fern fiber, fir bark, sphagnum moss, and charcoal. Because of danger of ingesting charcoal it can be omitted or covered with a layer of soil or moss.

An 18x18x24 tank will require about 6-8 quarts of substrate. A premium ABG substrate will be resistant to much decay and with proper microfauna (springtails, isopods and others as noted earlier will not require nearly as much cleaning as one may expect.
    Last edited by Ash; January 2nd, 2014 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Add info on ABG substrate
    Live Feeder Insects That You Need For Your Frogs & Lizards - All Natural Fed & Pre-Loaded With Nutrition
    Starter Colony Kits for Roaches, Crickets, Springtail & Isopods Cultures & More
    We Offer Friendlier Shipping Charges & NOW ALL ORDERS FREE SHIPPiNG over 175.00
    Follow Us on facebook NOW DISCOUNT ON FIRST ORDER AT CHECKOUT www.readyreptilefeeders.com

Nationality
    [Canada]

Microfauna can be bought online or collected outside, Springtails are tiny pin head sized critters that stay below the substrate and eat the mold and poop, Pillbugs can be found outside under logs and will feed on rotting wood or mold. Ive never heard of pillbugs being sold but there are probably sellers out there, they cant climb the glass and stay below the substrate so your wife wont worry about escapes. Ive never had any problems with infestation, the average lifespan of a springtail is very small
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

Nationality
    [United States]

Ash, sells pillbugs aka woodlice aka isopds along with lots of other cleaners if you wanna help a fellow forum member out.

http://readyreptilefeeders.com/abant...?rt=index/home

Randy

Well i remove my coco husk every month wash it in boiling hot water then cool it down to a nice warm( i replace it every 6 months completely ).Then i simply replant .Lately i have gotten rid of my plants though my frogs went on a rampage and destroyed them lol( i will replace them eventually). You having a smaller leaf frog wont have that problem .My worry's are always about red leg so i keep a deep substrate and keep it clean.When i had my lizards i would actually buy soil but i would bake it in the oven before i moistened it up and put it in their tank .Sometimes pets are hard to take care of but in the end it was well worth all the hard work.

Thread Information